Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Good boats for a hobby shop >

Good boats for a hobby shop

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Good boats for a hobby shop

Old 11-26-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good boats for a hobby shop

We just had an RC boat lake built by the city. I am wondering what some good boat kits to carry would be. I am not very familiar with boats, but I would like some suggestions for some beginner, mid, and upper level kits or RTR's.

I value your opinions and I'm sure my customers will too.

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good boats for a hobby shop

The boats you want to stock depends on the size of the lake and whom is likely to use it. If it's going to be frequented by rag boaters (OOPS! I meant to say sail boaters), then I'd suggest you stick to smaller "toy" boats like some of the plastics stuff you read about on this forum. If someone in the area had some foresight and designated different days for power vs sail and the lake is large enough then you can investigate some of the offerings like Aeromarine and Prather manufacture. Dumas makes a large variety of wood kits (average quality) for those customers that prefer to build. They span the boating spectrum from 1/8th scale Hydros to scale tug boats. There is an awful lot of boating hardware and boat kits out there but many are small operations that probably don't distribute. You really need someone in your shop that knows the R/C boat hobby and can guide you and be a good source of information for your customers. I'm not into sail boating so I can't comment on them. A search of the web for R/C Boats should yield a wealth of information.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to find out what the people in your area are interested in. What sells in one part of the country may not sell in Henderson.
If you want to do internet business then find the smaller but hotter manufacturers that you can't get through Great Planes, Horizon, etc. to sell. Aeromarine for one is always looking for dealers of their stuff and handle a great line of boats.

As a side note, please post your Hobby Shop in your signature, RCU rules. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Aeromarine lead. We honestly don't know anything about boats except for they float and the cool ones go fast. Our lake is a pretty good size for a man-made hobby lake. I am looking for some fast boats in both kit and RTR format. I would like to offer three different price levels 100-300, 300-600, and 600 plus.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:24 AM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

What is "pretty good sized" mean? I have a pair of man made lakes 15 minutes from my house that are roughly 150-200yds long and 50/100 yards wide. These lakes can JUST HANDLE scale hydros, so if your "lake" is smaller than the ones in my area, stick to the smaller boats(i. e. Nitro Hammer, Grey Thunder, etc), scale types(I. e. Atlantic Tug, Bristol Bay, etc) and sail boats. Some of the Midwest boats would also be good choises. You might be well advised to put out a survey sheet and see what the locals would be interested in. Have a stack of them in your store so customers can give you feedback on what they would want you to carry. Who knows, they may surprise you
Old 11-27-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We had a new Hobby Shop open up a little over a year ago not too far from my house. They were asking customers what they'd wanted them to stock, magazines, fuel and what products. Now they are trying to fill a void that was made by another one that went out of business at the end of July. Show the customers that you are interested in what they need and you'll have a lot of repeat business.
Start by carrying some of the popular boats. The Nitro Hammer, its electric brother the Hammer, possibly some of the CEN Racing line along with their cars and trucks, the Aeromarine Mean Machine 18 (they should be out by now) and maybe some Warehouse Hobbies boats as they will deal with Hobby Shops too.
The one company to keep a serious eye on is Hobbico/Aquacraft as they're going to be turning up the heat even further in R/C boating starting next year.