Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New to nitro

Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to nitro

I recently aquired a nitro mono hull, not sure what it is, and am trying to get it running. The starter rolls the engine over fine until fuel reaches the carb. At that point, fuel spits out of the air intake and collects on the bottom of the boat; then the flywheel gets wet and the cord starts spinning in the flywheel and I can't get it to start. Any ideas on why so much fuel may be coming out of the carb or how I can keep the starting cord/boat hull dry to get the engine started?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:03 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: New to nitro

the boat may be runnig to rich! or try putting a airfliter on the carb, or just a filter coupler.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can, show us what you've got. It does sound like the carb is set way too rich. Pull out the glow plug and see if it's wet and working. If it's wet, you will see a lot of fuel on the plug and look inside to see if there is a lot of fuel on top of the piston.. If there is, pull it over a few times with a rag or paper towel over the hole to help clear it.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys. I'll post pics as soon as I can. The engine I have is a k & B 7.5 with a red carb. Nobody locally has any idea what carb it is but I think it is a 3.5 Carb with a throat dia of .345".
Old 12-31-2005, 10:18 AM

What engine are you using?
Is the engine new or old?
Don't try to hid the fact that fuel is pouring out of your carby by putting a filter over it yet.

If your boat is new you might find info on how to set the mixture screw on the manufactures web site or in documentation you would have recieved with the boat, you did keep them, did'nt you?

I suggest you screw in the mixture screw till it stops, (don't overtighten it, just till it stops turning it softly.
Now unscrew it between 1.5 and 2.5 turns.
This setting varies from engine to engine, you should check with whom ever sold it to you.

If you do screw it in, take note of how many times it turned before it stopped, if it's more than 3 turns it's running to rich.

Hope this helps. Regards, Brettos.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:10 AM

The Red carb is made for the 7.5's but has been used on the 3.5's as it will drop right in.
I'd start at 3-1/2 turns out to be on the safe side as it does sound like it is much further out. The factory says to start at 4-1/2 turns but is way too rich to get them to fire up.
Forget the air filter idea.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 PM

At last I have some pictures but I can't figure out how to post them, help! Maybe it'll work though, we'll see. If not I put a picture of the engine in my models.

I did manage to get the engine to fire earlier this week though I didn't keep it running cuz I didn't want it to overheat. I'm not sure what the screws are on the carb though. There is one off the front near the throttle, is that the idle? Is the screw on the side the mixture screw? If it is, which way do I turn it to adjust it. I found some schematics on K & B's web site but there wasn't any information on tuning. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31270.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	381742  
Old 01-05-2006, 11:32 PM

The idle speed screw is right next to the venturi and the high-speed needle is across from the throttle arm.
What could be happening is that the carb is sitting below the fuel tank and drawing in fuel on its own, siphoning, which is leading to it flooding. You may have to pinch off the fuel line until it starts then open it.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:01 PM

Hey Bill, maybe you should get an airplane!!!

Just kiddin Bro!!
Old 01-08-2006, 04:04 PM

Here ya go Bill. See, even the airplane man can get in on the action. Anybody got any suggestions for getting more speed out of her I'm up for suggestions. This is the O.S. .21 Marine Outboard, running 65% fuel. Runs great but I can always use more speed!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89150.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	383594  
Old 01-11-2006, 05:13 PM

I’m no expert but hear my .02
- Make sure the exhaust is not gummed up the added pressure will push more fuel to your motor
- Add a snorkel so the intake doesn’t get wet but you can still see if fuel is coming out and when you get your boat in the water you won’t have the same problem your having now if water gets in
- Can you post a pic of more of the inside of the boat may be something ells that we cant see and so we can see where the fuel tank is
Hope this helps
Old 01-12-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Pinkie, WHAT THE HE11 ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????????????? Water wasn't even mentioned and adding a snorkel cuts down airflow to the carb. And why would the exhaust be gummed up? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that exhaust pressure is being used or not, and even if it is, it doesn't become a factor till the engine is running.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:30 PM

there oviously is exaust pressure or the gas wouldnt be reaching the motor properly
Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Maybe, but then again maybe not. If the fuel tank is above the carb, gravity will pull fuel out of the tank like siphoning gas out of you car's gas tank. Besides, as I already stated, he hasn't had the engine running, so there wouldn't be any exhaust pressure to push fuel out of the tank. He is having a flooding problem before he can even get the engine started. In this case, I think we would be better able to help if we had more pictures of the whole set up.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:48 PM

St. Ellis, I just noticed that you live up in G.R.. I wished that I had noticed that earlier, like last Saturday as I was up in Hudsonville seeing an old boating buddy of mine and picked up a hull from him. We could have met and looked your boat over!