Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Which one should I Get? >

Which one should I Get?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas Nitro Vee
7.69%
Miss Llumar
7.69%
Proboat Shoackwave 36
38.46%
CEN nitro .16 aquajet
38.46%
FORMULA DOLPHIN ( http://cgi.ebay.com/FORMULA-DOLPHIN-NITRO-GAS-POWERE
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Which one should I Get?

Old 12-31-2005, 12:28 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one should I Get?

I am getting a new boat! I just don't know which one! Help me out based on your knowledge and experience with these models!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:25 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Which one should I Get?

It depends on what you want in a boat. I voted for the Aqua Jet from your list. All have their plusses and minuses. The last one that I would never buy is the Dolphin! No, it won't do the advertised speeds by a long shot! Put it this way, it they could prove to me that it could, I will pay $1,000.00 for one as it would break all records in its class and who wouldn't pay a Grand to own a record setting boat? 20 MPH is a lot closer to the real speed. Besides that, if and when it would need replacement parts (and it will), you'd have to wait to get them from China.
The Miss LLumar really isn't a boat for the first-timer but too many new boaters buy them because of their looks. Yeah, I'd like to fly a jet but can't keep a backyard flyer in the air.
The SW 36 is OK but could have been done a little better for no addional cost to the manufacturer.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:30 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I'm really interested in the Miss Llumar! I have experince with boats and would like something a little more advanced. That is most likely what I'll get! I've read that the Nitro Vee is underpowered. and the SW 36 has problems with the flex shaft and exhaust coupler. The Aquajet looks good too! But I already have a deep vee.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:45 PM

The Miss Bud/Miss LLumar boats are for calm water conditions. They will also require a toss to get them going and you have to keep them going fast enough once running for it to stay on plane.
The Nitro-Vee is loaded down with too much stuff to make it a good performance boat, the onboard starter and RTS system really weigh the boat down. I'm not a fan of steerable outdrives either as they can make turning "interesting" at times.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:18 PM
My Feedback: (20)

I'd go aquajet, which is what I voted for, offshoreelectrics has a video of an electrics one that they say it the same speed as the .18 powered one, which the have for sale now for the price of the .16(dunno how long they will have it) but I have heard alot of good about the boat, and as for the unlimeted hydro type boats ron is right, they are made to be on plane in smooth water, and though i may be mistaken so correct me if im wrong but isnt the aquajet more of a shallow vee type of boat, from the looks its not even close(in relevance to size) to the depth of the shockwave or nitro vee. also I agree with the steerable outdrive thing, I bought a nitro vee just the other day for the reson that one i like a challenge and also I like to tweak on the pro .15 motors(my nitro 4-tec which is gone now would light all four wheels easy), but also I like the way the outdrive boats handle(if setup right) my super hawaii is a blast to run(but has had me thinking it was going over more than once)...basically i think you will be happier and get the most for your money with an aquajet .18, throw a good tuned pipe in it, prop change and let er rip....just my 2 cents on the subject...

p.s. a properly set up aquajet.18 with a good prop/pipe would probablly smoke a miss llumar and will turn circles around it no problem...
Old 01-02-2006, 05:45 PM

Like I stated above all boats in the lst have their downfalls. Having had a Grey Thunder and working on friends AJ's I do have expereince with that one. If you decided on that one, here's a few tips.
Turn the head 90 degrees. I don't like my water intake lines coming in over the carb as if it came off, it might dump water down the carb.
Seeing how the radio gear isn't enclosed in a radio box, get some waterproofing spray like Aeroplate or Corrosion X and put a little in the reciever and bottom of the servos.
The fuel tank is small so we've replaced them with a Sullivan SS-4 tank, it fits in there nicely.
The stock prop throws a good roostertail but no speed. Octura props from X-637 to X-440 work much better or those that Steve from Offshore Electrics has in carbon fiber. The CF props don't need sharpening and balancing like what the Octura's will unless you order them that way from Steve.
The engine will run rough until it has had a few tankfuls of fuel run through it then they will start on the first or second pull just about every time after the carb is adjusted to where you run.
The hull is fuel-resistant, not fuel-proof so clean up any fuel spills ASAP otherwise the bottom will warp where the fuel settles.