Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 building first boat >

building first boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

building first boat

Old 01-03-2006, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building first boat

I have a cheap toysrus boat called "Fountain" and I am going to fiberglass it and use that as the mold but I am not going to sell it, just for my use only and I was wondering that do you use to keep the fiberglass from sticking to the hull? and what do I use to cover the boat after I am done? (e.x. epoxy, gel coat, body filler........ect.) Ps. it is going to be nitro[>:]
Old 01-03-2006, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: building first boat

not saying its a dumb idea, but seriously why, first off for time and effort its much easier and fairly cheap to by a fiberglass hull, or an abs, a hull such as the wave chopper sold by offshoreelectrics...because i doubt when they designed it they though "gee we better make it so it handle good going over 10mph"...plus you will still need to buy nice hardware...and trust me fiberglassing is a big headache for shapes like that, lots of sanding/iching...I'd just find a cheap hull made for REAL r/c...and if you wanna build buy a dumas kit, they arent expensive, like the ski vees or skdaddle's... or if you wanna do this the right way, make a hull out of foam and glass it over, then just pour some gas on the foam and your left with a fiberglass shell, or you could carve out the foam to leave some for floatation. this is just my opinion, that i think there are better ways of getting a nitro boat out of fiberglass....personally I'd buy a hull and put the engine in that, some nice hardware and be left with a much better boat
Old 01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: building first boat

2916jr - Now that that has been said, Experimentation is the key to learning, I have tried many ways of building boats. Yes it can be expensive at first but "what the hey as I always say"

For your application, you will need a parting wax. Since it is already a nice form to fiberglass, it will remove nicely with a couple of coats and release agent.

Partall Paste made by Rexco is what I use and the release is called PVA Release film. Applied after the wax has been buffed and dried / cured. Then wipe the release film on. Thin coats - simple.

I purchased Fiberglass mat, PVA release, partall wax, west systems epoxy and measuring pumps for less price than purchasing a new Hull and it was enough chems and mat to do multiple hulls.
Practice makes perfect.
Good site to check out is http://www.fibreglast.com/.
Good prices on materials, be sure to look in two the lighter mat like Crows foot for base layers as it will give you nice looking details in the fiberglass.
http://www.westsystem.com/ is the epoxy resin I use as it is easier to work with than fiberglass but will not be as hard as fiberglass resin untill you get thicker in the mat, keep in mind that you will need formers made in the hull as well out of wood for reinforcement.

Have fun with it, I do. As Vertical3-D suggested though, making a hull from foam is a neat thing to do as well. I have a couple of photos on this process on my thread for a canopy, "1/8 scale hydro hardware" in the nitro section. ask for assistance in the fiberglassing composites section on this website, alot of very smart people helped me out.

Jeff