Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 ProBoats 1/12 Hydro w/ .18 questions >

ProBoats 1/12 Hydro w/ .18 questions

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

ProBoats 1/12 Hydro w/ .18 questions

Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProBoats 1/12 Hydro w/ .18 questions

I have run the Pro Boats Miss Lumar over the summer during the off season I went out and got the OS .18CVR-M motor to put in it. Everything fell right into place. Now i'm looking at props.

What is a good prob to start with? The water i run on is smooth or has a very slight chop and there is a lot of room to run.

Also I have two left over .15 motors (dont ask how i got to its a sad story) I've been wanting to put them into a V or some other easy to run fun boat, sugestions?

Edit**

Also wanted to ask is there a better pipe for the .18?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: ProBoats 1/12 Hydro w/ .18 questions

The Mac Products 1110 pipe is the choice so far for most people running the .12-.18 engines. The part number may be wrong but close. I've tried other pipes but this one seems to be one of the best so far. There is another pipe in the works but haven't heard when it will be available as I'm waiting for it also.
Finding a suitable hull is getting easier to find but still not a lot of choices for us that run the car and truck engines. Most are the fast electric hulls that people have added engine rails to.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:17 PM

where can one find this mac products pipe? google gives me to many options?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:35 PM

Use the Search at the top of the page for Tower Hobbies as they carry it and are currently in stock, just type in Mac Products. You'll have to shorten the pipe and possibly the header also to get the correct length, 8-1/2 to 9" from the glow plug to the widest part of the pipe following the path of the exhaust. If the engines are going in another hull besides the Bud, I've been using a Traxxas header most of the time. It's close to the engine and has a slight upward angle to help get the pipe over radio boxes.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks Ron, the .15 are going in some V hull boat have not picked the boat yet. They will run the stock pipe and hardware.

searched tower hobbies came up with the following options...

Macs Tuned Pipe 2.5/.10-.15
Macs Tuned Pipe 3.5/.19-.35

The .19 to .35 seems a bit large, but the .10 - .15 seems like it may be a bit small? I'm no expert on this subject, is it better to error on the large side or small side?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:07 AM

Good question as the area of tuned pipes get weird. Some engines run better with oversized pipes like the O.S. .46, they say to use a .60 sized pipe on theirs. Some of the smaller engined racers will try to find a slightly smaller pipe. Tune pipe science involves a lot of math with a ton of equations to find the right power band.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:36 PM

how fast have you had the miss budweiser since you added the .18 os?? im really interested in doing the same for my boat.. let me know if there was anything you had to change
Old 01-23-2006, 02:54 PM

it has not yet been on the water since putting in the .18. I have been busy working on pipe size, and prop size. I'm not sure the boat can take much more than the .18 can dish out.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:37 AM

You guys are going to kill yourselves! I just got word that Hobbico/Aquacraft is coming out with a Miss Bud/LLumar killer that will have an OS .18 already installed! It will have the Miss Elam paint scheme and none of the bad points that are plaquing the Miss Bud. The speeds are about 6 MPH or more faster than the ProBoats and $20.00 cheaper! It will be on their website in the next 3 days. Expect to see a lot more boats coming out of their stables real soon.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:48 AM

thats great news, i'm really in the market for a new boat. I've been looking at the RTR cat that was posted from pro boats, maybe i'll upgrade my hydro at the same time.

I've been also shopping around for a rigger that i can load my .15 into, and a V that i can put my other .15 into
Old 01-25-2006, 11:25 AM

I know of a few 'rigger kits that would work for the .15's, www.firefighterboats.com has one and another person that I know of just started putting out a kit. I'll have to get you the link on that one.
As for monos, there aren't very many out there right now. I did pick up a hull a little over 2 weeks ago that I'm going to convert over from electric to nitro power. I'm slowly working on that one as I'm waiting for a new engine coming from Andy Brown to put in it. It's only a .12 but will be unlike any other .12-.18 made today! If you're familiar with the MAC line of engines, imagine them smaller.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
I'm waiting for a new engine coming from Andy Brown to put in it. It's only a .12 but will be unlike any other .12-.18 made today! If you're familiar with the MAC line of engines, imagine them smaller.
Don’t tickle me with a feather then run.. give me more info on this new engine coming!

and please pm or post the link to the new kit
Old 01-25-2006, 12:14 PM

Andy and Al (I don't know who he is) aren't letting anything out right now. After a parting of the ways with CMB, their previous supplier of engines, the A/A line of engines will be already re-ported, timed, etc. for all out racing. Andy says that he is going to try for really breaking his old records and is looking at trying to break 150 MPH! In testing the .12, he was having problems with overheating them while running 70% nitro through them. The average boater would probably run 50% but Andy likes to tilt the can a little more than the rest of us. Some of us have asked for air-cooled heads while other want water-cooled so I don't know which way he's going. The only thing out of the bag right now is the logo to show you how little they're saying right now and that the high-dollar engines will come in a wooden box. I've already let Andy know that I want on the list for the .12's when they come out.
The guy that does all of the work on their website, Roger Hooks Jr., is even being left out in the cold right now.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Are they going to be putting out a .65/.67 as well? I'd be interested in one for my Madison
Old 01-25-2006, 01:25 PM

That is supposed to be one of the first new engines coming out along with the .21 . After that the .45 and .84 will make the show. Rumors are of a 1.0 also down the pike. Andy has also been messing with some gas boats lately so he may have another thing up his sleeve.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM

Brian(AKA 330T), first of all get a life. Your gonna get blown away and this "research" on these discussion boards is going to do nothing again my fire breathing machine!!!!! So take that hunk of fiberglass crap and shove it back up your ass.
By the way anyone know of optional prop sizes for the miss bud. I already have the .18 in it and I'm looking for a good prop.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:05 AM

is that new boat out yet (Miss Elam) if it is please send link
Old 01-26-2006, 01:29 AM

No, not yet. The press release will be in a day or two.
One tester has said that the boat is coming with the OS. 18 but there is plenty of room to put a .21 in there without a crowbar. When owners get bored or for those who feel the need for more speed, a hot .21 would be the trick and it should be IMPBA legal for the Sport 20 class. Right now, most Sport 20 hulls alone are the cost of this boat RTR! I foresee a lot of these boats hitting the water with .21's. Right now I'm waiting to see the shots myself. That bright orange gel-coat ought to be killer!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I know of a few 'rigger kits that would work for the .15's, www.firefighterboats.com has one and another person that I know of just started putting out a kit. I'll have to get you the link on that one.
As for monos, there aren't very many out there right now. I did pick up a hull a little over 2 weeks ago that I'm going to convert over from electric to nitro power. I'm slowly working on that one as I'm waiting for a new engine coming from Andy Brown to put in it. It's only a .12 but will be unlike any other .12-.18 made today! If you're familiar with the MAC line of engines, imagine them smaller.
Welp i pulled the triger on a rigger...

IDM Racing Products

I email them and firefighterboats about a complete package everything but motor, and radio. I wanted a full kit of known working parts to put together and have running by early spring.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:08 PM

I sold Tony Marquart a few parts to help get him going that I had laying around. He offered me a good deal on a kit if I decide to get one but I already have two .12 'riggers right now and have another (third) .12 mono that I'm working on. It looks like a very good kit. Build it LIGHT. I found that out with my second 'rigger. I put Hughey hardware on the transom but the stuff was just too heavy. These boats are really weight sensitive, especially on the rear.
Pay attention to what Tony says to do on the boat as he took a lot of time getting it to the market.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:17 PM

Tony quoted and sold me a complete hardware kit. all but the radio and motor. I almost had him build it for me :-D