Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

What you think of my step dads project boat?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

What you think of my step dads project boat?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:01 AM
cordia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you think of my step dads project boat?

Its running a K&B motor 7.5 . Its still underconstruction and hopeing to have it in the water by the end of next week.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:18 AM
brettos01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What you think of my step dads project boat?

Hey Cordia,

Looks good!

But I can see a problem with the stearing & other. You are using a single flex cable there to turn the engine and that won't work, trust me. If you can turn the engine side to side when it is conected to the servo, the engine will make your boat go where ever it want's to.

The turn servo on an outboard is usually mounted close to the engine with one push rod or flex cable on each side of the servo arm, which are then connected to the engine, (there are two stearing rod mounts on the engine itself) and there should be no free play in the stearing at all.

The throttle servo should be mounted at the rear as well and use any type of single connecting rod.

The fuel tank should be mounted at the front because when it is full of fuel it is heavier than the servos and tunnel hulls, especialy a 7.5 need the weight up front to keep them in the water.

If you need anymore help there are lots of talented people here who can help where I can't.

Take a look at the photo gallery, you will see a lot of tunnel hulls there, have a look at how others are doing it.

Regards Brettos.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can, get your step-father in here so we can discuss this boat. We don't want to sound critical but only in his best interest to avoid problems down the road.
First, don't use the plastic prop, it is for show only!
He'll want all of the radio equipment inside of a sealed radio box, not exposed to the elements. One flip (and they will) and the exposed gear will be toast.
The steering linkage need to be strong. If he is going to run a single rod to the engine, it should be 4-40 rod or stronger and should have been on the right side, not the left.
I can't tell what servo that he is using either for steering but you'll need a good, strong one there also, no "Standard" servos as it's going to take a lot to move that weight in the water.
I've been there. I have built two 7.5 OB tunnels and several 3.5 OB tunnels.
He's got a lot of "corrective surgery" to do before it hits the H2O. Sorry, we want to have your experiences to be good ones when it's ready to be tossed into the water.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:47 PM
jw637362

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool looking boat so Far but I am in total agreement with Ron, Take a look at the pictures I have posted of my install. I set up all my OB's this way, always have.
Very simple and Very effective, Absolutley Not on the single rod for steering, Your boat will not turn freely, it will bobble, be uncontrollable in the turns unless you use a very large rod and is secured multiple places. Set it up as a pull - pull system.
The throttle linkage sleeve must have two anchor points to work on an outboard. Near the servo and one ON the engine itself. If it is not anchored on the engine. it will vary throttle changes on its own as you turn, you turn right and it will go full throttle, turn left and it will got to low throttle etc on it's own. Not critical but I run two metal gear servos in series for turning, a standard servo will strip the in a bad turn.

Just some things to think about to save alot of headaches!! Definately waterproof everthing. You WILL flip it eventually, we all have and the 7.5 running correctly will jump out of the water when you hit some waves.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55282.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	384015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53876.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	384016  
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you've run an OB tunnel and haven't flipped it then you haven't been driving it fast enough! A good running tunnel is on the edge of flipping. My first 7.5 OB tunnel was an Aerotech, really heavy but a sweet handling boat. I took it to a nearby pond when the wind was really kicking up. I didn't think that I would flip that barge but I skyed it well over my head! I miss that boat.