Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Hottest .21 and .67?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Hottest .21 and .67?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:44 PM
brent wyble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hottest .21 and .67?

What is the Hottest .21 out there now? I use to be onto boating big time about 12 years ago and Nova Rossi was it. Also what .67? I was looking for a Picco EXR but i hear they do not even make them anymore. CMB is the .21 i'm leaning to get.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:12 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Hottest .21 and .67?

This week? The MAC's coming out of www.cmdracing.com but if you can hang on for a while, Andy and the gang are coming out with pretty much all new engines under the A/A name, Andy and Al. They won't be cheap but rumors are that they will be the baddest around.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:44 AM
brent wyble

Thanks Ron, at $450 for CMB .21 I hate to see what not cheap is. I have been out of this for way to long. Just found out about the Picco, guess I better take care of my brand new (5year old never run) EXR.
Ron where are you located and what do you race?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Ron Olson

Like it says to the left, Kalamazoo, MI.
Right now, .12 sized monos and outriggers, a .21 mono (Rossi Pirahna powered), a .45 mono with a Picco and a Sport 40 with a MAC .45.
Yeah, that is a lot of money for a .21. CMB and MAC's used to be made at the same place but the MAC's were built to Andy Brown's specs then CMB started putting some of Andy's tricks into their line of engines. That didn't go over too well so now from what I've heard is that the new engines will be USA made.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:01 AM
brent wyble

Yea I saw that right after I sent it.

What sport 40 are you running? I use to run a Areomarine with a Rossi 45 (not Nova Rossi) I also use to hang out with Andy little brother John way back when. Andy has been in this a long time and i guess it is still about as bad as when I had my Hobby shop with every one copying every ones designs from boats to motors. Guess some things never change.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Ron Olson

I've got a Phil Thomas-R/C Marine Designs Supersport 45 with the stealth cowl. Go into the "SHOW US YOUR BOATS" thread and it should be in there along with some of my other fleet. The Sport 40 is on page two, some are on page one.
I've never met Andy but I did meet John and his wife at an Internat's race. Really nice guy and when John talked, people listened.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:12 PM
CMB RS35

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

CMB and MAC's used to be made at the same place but the MAC's were built to Andy Brown's specs then CMB started putting some of Andy's tricks into their line of engines. That didn't go over too well so now from what I've heard is that the new engines will be USA made.
Not wishing to start a flame war of any type, but that is one side of the story put about by someone who has vested interest in selling his own product. Both Mauro & Camillo have kept tight lipped at least in the public domain about the split. Privately the views when reading between the lines are as per usual in business these days, it all boils down to the green folding stuff that makes the world go around, and paying your bills on time.
The 21's were a joint collaboration, the CMB Valvola was originally a counter rotation engine designed for attaching to a gearbox whereas the MAC was designed for direct drive.
The larger MACs to the layman's eyes looked like scaled up 21's in design. CMB carried on with their CAM 'HR' range which was an older design and I have to say inferior in standard form.
Now it's interesting to note that since the problems the Valvola 21 is now available in direct drive form, and CMB are about to release 2 new hydro engines a 45 & a small block 91 which feature the same type of drum valve induction.

Ron, which line of Handy's new engines are being made in the USA - MACs or A/A Pros? I mainly ask because in the case of the builder (of at least one range) I was unaware that Russia was now part of the United States.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Ron Olson

Andy is kind of tight-lipped about it now as I know that he is/was using some Kalistratov parts. Somebody else let the cat out of the bag so you know how rumors go. What exactly went on between Andy and CMB was again a lot of rumors and it is between those parties as pretty much only they know the true story. My third channel needle is a Kailstatov part sold through CMD. I know because I also have a K-45 sitting in the basement.
Some of the CMB's coming out lately have had problems with the chrome coming off at the top of the sleeve, hopefully that problem has been taken care of.