Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

newbie wanting a boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

newbie wanting a boat

Old 01-14-2006, 10:30 AM
ken420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie wanting a boat

hey,i have no experience in r/c boating and i would really like to try it out.ive been looking at different boats online for the past few weeks and i cant make up my mind on which i want.ill be using it in all types of water conditions,mostly choppy water.the 3 boats that ive been looking at are the Shockwave36,Aqua Jet and the Aeromarine Mean Machine .18.The Mean Machine is what ive been leaning towards buy they dont seem to be out yet?not that ill be able to use it for a few months but i just hate waiting.i dont wanna spend the money on 1 of the 3 boats to be left wanting more after running it for a couple months,what do you guys suggest?thanks for any replies..
Old 01-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: newbie wanting a boat

Ken, do yourself a favor and stay away from those little boats. If I read you correctly (Choppy Water) you should be looking at a larger 'V' bottom boat with a gas engine. The guys in NAMBA District 11, which you are in, usually start out with what we call Stock Gas. They are not really fast but really reliable. Especially in conditions that you are refering to. If you are not to far from the Mass. - New Hampshire boarder and are willing to drive up to the Berwick Maine area, I would suggest you get in touch with Butch Thibodeau. He has a boat specific hobby shop up there. If you are interested let me know.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 AM
ken420

hey,i wanna stay between $3-$500 and would like a boat that will fit in the hatch of my kayak.
im sure the bigger gas boats are out of my price range?like i said,im new to boating,and the water conditions i consider choppy may not be all that bad for 1 of the boats i mentioned,i really dont know?ill be using the boat on some pretty big lakes that i kayak at,sometimes they are calm and other times they can be choppy.if i really enjoy the sport and get good at operating the boat then id probably build a custom boat,something fast and handles good.by the way,im on the mass/nh line.im interested in the hobby shop you mentioned,do they have a website?thanks..
Old 01-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know what's up yet with the Mean Machine 18 as it might be out. www.funrcboats.com is one of the dealers for them, shoot Debbie an e-mail. I've seen the prototypes and for the price it's already loaded with things that others have to put on later but I haven't seen the production version yet. One thing about it is that later on you could drop a hot .21 into it.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
ken420

i sent debbie a email today,she replied and said to contact them in another month or so and they might have them in stock.the mean machine sure does look like a nice boat..
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Ron Olson

I don't know what the problem has been with Aeromarine in getting this boat out. I spoke to Remy Haynes Jr. last April at the Toledo show and they were awaiting the shipment then and it was supposed to be out by the end of last May. At that time the cargo containers were supposedly being held in Customs awaiting clearance. What the hold up now is I haven't a clue.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 PM
ken420

ill wait till the end of the month,if the mean machine isnt out yet then i might just buy something different.any suggestions on another boat to be looking at?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Ron Olson

How much room do you have in your kayak?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:07 PM
ken420

its pretty big,not sure of the dimensions but the boat is 15' long.the hatch opening is probably 15"x13" or so and im guessing its 4ft or so deep..
Old 01-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Square Nozzle

You didn't mention that you want to put the boat inside your kayak. A mind reader I am not. Although I am assuming you are thinking of running this boat from your kayak? Along with the boat you will need room for the radio transmitter, fuel and some "tools" to start the engine, along with a stand to support the boat while you're starting it. All this to be done from a kayak while you are bobbing around in the "choppy water"? Better leave room for an emergency radio to call for help when the spinning prop cuts you up or the "little" boat hits your kayak and sinks you. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:17 PM
ken420

ORIGINAL: John Palica

You didn't mention that you want to put the boat inside your kayak. A mind reader I am not. Although I am assuming you are thinking of running this boat from your kayak? Along with the boat you will need room for the radio transmitter, fuel and some "tools" to start the engine, along with a stand to support the boat while you're starting it. All this to be done from a kayak while you are bobbing around in the "choppy water"? Better leave room for an emergency radio to call for help when the spinning prop cuts you up or the "little" boat hits your kayak and sinks you. Good Luck!
hey,i mentioned i wanted to put the boat in the hatch of my kayak after you responded,sorry.i dont wanna run the boat from the kayak.there is a local lake nearby that 5-12 of us always go kayaking at,it has a few islands that we usually stop to hang out at,a allday picnic you could call it.i would then take the r/c boat out of the hatch to play around with while hangng out on the island.my kayak has a front and rear hatch,the boat would go in the rear,and i could easily pack anything else i need to go with it in the front hatch.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Why not just put a towline on the R/C boat and tow it behind the kayak? It would be easier and cheaper to go with the gas boat John suggested since you wouldn't need all the pit gear a nitro boat needs. Not to mention that gas costs a lot less than nitro engine fuel. If you got a big enough boat, some of the boating stuff could be carried "IN" the boat as well. Just my .02
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Square Nozzle

You have it backward HJ. The gas boat goes in front and tows the kayak. Paddling is a thing of the past.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Only if the R/C has a G260 or larger
It does sound good though, doesn't it?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-16-2006, 10:03 PM
rcboatnrules69

i just bought my first rc boat this summer that past and i bought the 1/12 miss budweiser rc nitro. its an amazing beginner boat for sure.. i have prittly much done everything i can to test that boat.. and so far i havent had a problem with it.. i highly recomend it for sure.[img]
Old 01-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

You're darn lucky. I've never heard of anyone with the Bud's that didn't have a problem or two that required some repair within a run or two.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Ron Olson

HJ, it must have been one that slipped through the cracks!