Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 new mono scratch build >

new mono scratch build

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

new mono scratch build

Old 01-23-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new mono scratch build

well heres an update of her so far shes going to have a submerged drive and my rudder will be home made from 3/16 plexiglass fastened to the transome!![img][/img]the sides still need to be attached and the deck obviously.im also thinking of building a windscreen just for looks not sure yet but im open to ideas on that one.forgot to say the engine isnt fastened in yet i need to make the mounts from alluminium angle im going to mount them to the stringers using some rubber between to cut down on vibration.should the prop finish just behind the transome seeing as im mounting the rudder there?.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73610.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	393642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91666.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	393643  
Old 01-23-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its look ing good nice job on the homemade watercooling as for me iam now building a cracker box from some plans i got ill pm you when i start and ill post for everyone in the gas boat forum bye

Matty_C
Old 01-23-2006, 05:44 PM

thanks matty glad you like it i still need to solder the cooling coil together b4 i remove the cable ties but it looks pretty neet so far.im going to get the deck and sides put on this weekend hopefully and then im ready for the shaft and the engine can be put in place.when our lass releases the funds that is but im working on it lol.keep me posted on your build!!.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:02 PM

will do
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My take on this construction project is you are building this boat for recreational enjoyment and not racing. With that in mind I have some comments about all of the lightening holes throughout the frame. You are going to get water into the boat. That is a fact. You either have to be very diligent in sealing the entire structure with epoxy to prevent that water from soaking into the wood and destroying all of your beautiful work or close off the holes that will allow water under the decking and into the framework. No problem with installing lightening holes but for your purposes, don't make it easy for water to get into the structure.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:21 AM

cheers john and dont worry 1st the boats all marine ply and second im going to seal it also so it should be fine,also most of the lightning holes are under the forward deck so i dont think much water is going to get under there unless she capsizes ,but thanks for pointing it out i might just seal the bulkhead up with thin balsa just in case .you are right it is for fun not racing but im hoping she will have more than enough speed to impress onlookers.if it turns out as well as i hope then yes i will move on to the next stage and build something for racing!!thats if the wife gives me any more pocket money hehe!!.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like the boat is destined to turn over. You will be trying to impress the onlookers with it's speed and manueverability and over it goes! Either a roll over or a front to back flip. That's when the water will get in. It's human nature to want to see your creation perform. Now that we know the boat will get swamped in one manner or another and you have paths for water to enter, that means the air is pushed out. With the loss of air comes the loss of bouyancy. You certainly don't want that to happen. Be sure you fill the area under the deck with floatation material. That can be anything from styrofoam shaped to fit into the cavities, packaging foam peanuts, air bags etc. Anything that will not soak up water. Don't use spray in insulation foam. It will continue to expand after you think it's done expanding and will push the deck off of the boat. Aircraft grade plywood won't cut it without a good sealing of epoxy. With time the glue joints will fail and seams will open. Seal it well.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:08 PM

oh ye of little faith your not talking to a complete novice i built boats for a living a few years back!!.everything that needs sealing will be and as for bouyancy its gonna be filled with foam and sealed in.as for flipping im not saying it wont but it wont be because im showing off?i know how boats handle having been brought up arround them all my life and if it flips it wont be anything to do with me showing off.thanks for your concerns though the expanding foam is great stuff youve just got to have a few holes for it to escape so it doesnt rip things off but its expensive too ive used it in airplane wings for strengthening and if you know what to do its great stuff but i know what your trying to say some people dont know how much that stuff expands.if i had some id use it though as its water proof!!.thanks for the advice any help is much appreciated ,so hows she looking so far?.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 PM

if you doing sub surface drive you can get the graupner plastic props for like £2.50 each and play with sizes
first fit the rudder, then postion prop kust in front of it
before fitting engine and radio lay all parts in finished hull
radio normal at the rear, and move the engine backwards and forward to get a good balance point
Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 PM

cheers for the input mate ive tried the engine in the hull roughly where i think it needs to be and it works out at about 30% from the transome there abouts anyway.thanks for the tip about the plastic props ill try them out ive just ordered a mocom 2024 prop for £6.00 so ill try that 1st but ill order a few graupner ones too so i can test em out ,exellent idea thanks.the rudder will be fastened to the transome so the prop will be just in front of that using a ten inch shaft giving me plenty of room for a good size tank in front of the engine.the servos and electrics are indeed all behind the engine im building a water proof bay in there with a plexiglass lid with a water proof seal.construction has stopped at the minuite till i get the hardware i need but ill post pics when i start on the shaft and engine etc.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:07 AM

well nothing to report as yet im still waiting for my parts the model shop didnt have the right size shaft etc but they should be here in a week to ten days .
Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 AM

hey martino i started my build check it out in the gas boat forum it called "cracker box building the saga" hope you like it

Matty_C
Old 01-30-2006, 06:37 AM

will do mattyo!!
Old 02-14-2006, 03:07 AM

hi martno1fan, looks great, any chance of sending me a copy of the plan please? i'm going to build my 1st nitro boat and have been looking for a nice plan and gathering all sorts of info. my email is [email protected] thanks for that and good luck on building.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:30 AM

thanks martno1fan, plan received. good luck with ur build. cheers
Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 AM

hi martno1fan, how is it going with the build? just a question, is the radio box on your boat big enough for the gears? mine seems very small.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:00 AM

hi well i havent been able to do anything for 3 weeks my supplier hasnt got my stuff i ordered yet[:@] hes got the props,and coupling but having trouble getting a shaft ,useless sods i should have got it off the net lol.hes got till tuesday then im going else where.the radio box on mine is more than big enough for my radio gear im not sure how big youve built your boat mate so cant help you there mines 36 " long .
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Nice boat mate could I bother you for a set of those plans ? [email protected]
Old 02-19-2006, 10:50 AM

If not too much trouble, I'd also like a set of plans... Thanks!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:40 PM

sending plans guys ,before i get into bother these plans are not mine i got these plans for free off this site i did a search and found them.i cant remember the name of the thread so i hope no one minds me sending them on to anyone that wants them!!.good luck with the build guys
Old 03-01-2006, 08:51 AM

well at last ive got my parts and ive restarted the build the shafts in place and ive soldered the coupling onto it and it seems a good tight fit but i soldered it on in any case .ive put the sides on but they need shaping a bit with my block plane .the engine mounts made and its drilled ready to install heres a cpl of pics of it so far.[img][/img]the engine will sit aft of midships and the mount will be alluminium angle with rubber mouse matt behind for anti vibration,i checked and it is fuel proof .the angle will sit on ply mounts glued to the rails and i,ll bolt the alluminium through the rails.the rudder is going to be plexiglass with a water scoop attached at the rear so it will get as much water from the prop wash as possible ,still working on that one ill keep you posted on my progress !!.

Name:	Hf98717.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	417881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85291.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	417882  
Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM

well heres a few more pics of my progress!![img][/img]the forward deck is glued on and i put a hatch where my tank is in front of engine that i can remove if needed also the mid section comes right off too to start the thing and locks under the rail that runs across the width of the midships ill have two little catches aft to hold it on the radio box will have a plexiglass lid so i can see in there and check everythings nice and dry too!!the whole front end is filled with foam and its sealed in there also either side of the tank is filled with foam too !!. hope you all like her feel free to let me know what you all think!!.

Name:	Ay73668.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	422578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11040.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	422579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92776.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	422580  
Old 03-08-2006, 04:07 PM

that is one mean lookin boat you got there mart i love how the engine has its own litle hole to fit into. but if you want to up the power(change the engine) how will you do it make the hole bigger to fit the ne engine in or what. get it in the water and some vids allready.
ill pm you with the progres on my build.

Matty_C
Old 03-08-2006, 05:15 PM

that little hole matty is just the cover its removable i wanted it to look nice and decided to cover the engine bay but it just clips into place and im putting some fastners on the rear of the cover to hold it down.!!i dont think its quite ready for the water just yet either but im hoping to get it sanded and coated with epoxy then shes ready for some paint!!.cant wait to see your progress mate hope its going well for yaa.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:42 AM

ohh dats a good idea. my progress is i should be starting to put it all to gether soon this weekend if nothing comes up i was going to do it last week but the sand drags were on so i went to that and rode my mates motorbike around. i got the rudder all done ill pm you with pics tonight when the cam batts are charged. have a good one!

Matty_C

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.