Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 new mono scratch build >

new mono scratch build

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

new mono scratch build

Old 03-10-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new mono scratch build

heres a cpl of pics of her for yaa!,i managed to get some paint on her today and the blue is some covering i had left over from a plane!!its water proof and fuel proof so should be fine!!.what do you think? i havent painted the bottom yet thats gonna be red!!.[img][/img]ill warm it up with a hairdryer to get the air bubbles out what few there are i think it looks cool i hope you guys like it!!.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41315.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	423517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77203.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	423518  
Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good there mart, Yours is goin to be ready before mine arrives..

matt
Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 AM

Looking good there mart. Looks like your boats going to be ready before mine arrives [&:]

matt
Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 PM

glad you like her matt ,you repeat yourself a lot?.matt i know what its like waiting for stuff i waited a month for a bloody prop shaft from the local model shop for them to turn round and say they couldnt get it so would a shorter one do[:@].i ended up ordering from prestwich models and it came the next day!!guess where im gonna get my next hardware from!!.i just need to sort out my rudder now and get the electrics installed but im not going to rush it !!.thanks again for the compliment mate.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:34 AM

cpl more pics for yaa,i just painted the bottom red.i think im going to varnish over the top to protect the paint anyone think its a good idea or a bad idea i dont want to ruin the paintwork!!.[img][/img]

Name:	Pn36229.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	424044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46518.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	424045  
Old 03-11-2006, 05:21 AM

Matt, if you have details , ie wait etc for this plan can you please send them to me? I have the plan, the basic template shapes to cut, but no other details.

Hirns.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:37 AM

hirns was that meant for me?,if so i have no details of the plan .the weight will depend what size you build it and what wood you use ,mine is 36 inches long its all 1/8 ply and weighs 7 lbs with engine and tank ,servos battery etc installed.this boat is a simple build the rails slot together into the bulkheads.you start by glueing the transome to the hull bottom and join the two bottom halves from stern to where they curve away,leave the curved bits till it has stuck9overnite).then glue the curved edges together use clamps or tape to hold it till it dries!!.once its stuck you can install the rails bulkheads etc.if its a smaller version you might want to drill the mounting holes for the engine mount but on the full size or my sized version i found plenty of room to drill them.one tip id give is forget the lightning holes i ended up sealing mine up.that way you can have each compartment up forward air and water tight when its filled with foam.i also raised my bulkheads up to the height of the hull sides to also acheive water tight compartments as the bulkheads are lower than the sides .i had to glue strips of spruce to the tops of the bulkheads to do this but if i did it again id make the bulkheads 1/2 inch heigher you can then plane them back to the height of the hull sides .the hull sides are easy to do attach spruce strips 1/4 to the edges of the hull bottom and glue the sides to these leaving a lip underneath so the sides hang down 1/8 of an inch this creates a lip which i used filler to create a nice curve this helps with turning i think!!.glue from stern to front i glued sides up to where hull curves as before ,let them stick then bent them round and glued the front end up.i used clamps and tape but they kept slipping so i ended up using small brads to hold it as the glue dried(i have a nail gun )best thing i ever bought!!it worked a treat.if you use 1/16 wood for sides it will bend easyer!!.hope this helped mate good luck.[img][/img]heres my boat fully painted now!!.

Name:	Om32215.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	424077  
Old 03-11-2006, 08:02 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Varnish is not clear. It has an amber tint to it as well as not being fuel proof. You'd be better off to use a clear automotive polyurethane paint, sprayed on. It's a two part paint that requires you to use proper breathing protection. If you don't have the facilities to do the painting, take it to a local auto body shop and pay a few pounds to have it done.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 AM

i guess ill stick to the paint !!the area near the engine could allways be covered with the same sticky back covering ive used for the blue i have it in yellow and its fuel proof so if the paint doesnt like fuel ill cover it with that ill test the paint on some scrap with a bit of fuel see how it reacts to it thanks for the tip about the varnish .i wonder if i can get that clear paint in a rattle can i think we call it laquer over here ill check out the auto shop .the varnish i have does dry clear but i didnt think about the fuel proofability(is that a word ).one thing i was going to ask john is i sat the boat in the garden pond to see how she sits!!,she sits level looks nice but the nose is very low to the water i guess this is normal? .probably wont like driving too slow though as it might get swamped !!ill try and get a pic of it on the water for you to see.so how do you think she looks mate?.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 AM

im not sure if you can tell from these pics but the water is about 1/4 of an inch below the top of the bow deck!![img][/img]

Name:	Hf10349.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	424081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41369.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	424082   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76195.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	424083  
Old 03-12-2006, 09:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think once you the boat gets moving, the bow will rise higher out of the water and it will be just fine. My Wild Thing has a similar sloping bow and there is no issue with the water coming over it.

The vinyl you propose to use will be fuel proof but the adhesive will not be. That is the mistake may people make. Eventually the fuel residue will get under the edge of the vinyl and soften the adhesive. I have built several airplanes out of coroplast and plastic downspout (The airplanes are called SPADS) and use vinyl trim rather than paint (inexpensive is the goal). Over time, even with careful cleaning after a flight, the vinyl loosens and has to be replaced.

Also, check with your local hobby shop for clear in a rattle can. I believe there are products out there that will be fuel proof. I can't name any right now but I've read comments on the subject in other areas of this web site. Typically the scale building forums.

From what I can see in the photos, you have done a fine job on the boat. I hope it performs well for you.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:57 AM

thanks for the reply john i was hoping that was the case i supose the faster you get it up on plane the better!!.i understand what your saying about the covering im not sure about the glue on this stuff its suposed to be fuel proof (the covering ) and i have covered a plane in it and so far none has come loose and it does get pretty splattered in fuel so maybe it will be ok for a while.in any case its only the centre hatch section thats covered in it im not worried about the decals i put up forward .ive covered it anyway so we,ll see how it goes if i need to re do it in time its an easy job and cheap too !!i only payed £3.00 a roll for this stuff im not sure what its made of but its easy to do!!heres a pic of my recovered trainer after a rebuild [] and my spad dps with dominator wing!!.[img][/img].im selling both of em to pay for more boat stuff and future projects!!.im glad you like the boat mate its turned out pretty well for my 1st attempt at least at a model boat anyways .

Name:	Pn37577.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	424718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19082.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	424719  
Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 AM