Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Old 04-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

NICE, glad to here its all together and everything, new engines are finicky sometimes when starting, I too have had pull starts do that, hurts like an SOB everytime you go to start it then, but OS engines are so reliable when broken in that it shouldnt give any more problems, hope to here a drive report soon and see how those fins help it out, you have witnessed mine spinning out already and know its pretty bad sometimes...
Old 04-30-2006, 03:45 PM
jimbat10

Yeah, That's my biggest worry right now,is how it's going to handle. The Specktrum DX-3 controler is great, I extended the antenna,because I read in the race furom that I should.(on the reciever)You should hear this engine,I hope the spin fins & trim tabs keep it in line.Throttle response is unbelievable. I really like this Byron 30% nitro fuel. I got my kid a 1/12 scale Miss Budweiser off eBay, he can't wait to race me. I can't hardly wait either,but It probley won't happen till next weekend.Will keep you guys informed of results.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Vertical3-D

nice, theres some nice info in here about the miss buds to help them out a little bit, hopefully within the next two weeks ill get everything figured out and have my boats in the water, I have only run the gasser once and would really like to get it out and put some time on it...
Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 PM
bookboy22

Had the vee2.5 out all weekend and also did some flying of my P51 warbird. I found a great new location with a larger pond and a grass flying field using that google satellite tool. On the last run of today the octura x440 prop came off. The prop nut must have come lose. It's a good reason to buy a new oc6pnmk streamlined prop tail nut. All the LHS in the toronto area are completely out of x440 stock. Once they order it for you, they want $23can plus 15%tax. I searched google for octura and the Aeromarine Laminates store http://www.aeromarinerc.com/ had the best price for unfinished props. I purchased one bronze x440 1.57x2.19 for $11.15us and one bronze x442 for $12.20us. $5 shipping to Canada. I want to see if the trx 2.5 can swing the x442 for more top speed and pop. The engine was performing amazing with the x440. Has anyone used the x442? And about pull starters, once my engine was totally broken in, the pull starter works great.

Read this:
'Whether you have the .12 or the .15 engine you'll get more performance from it with an X440 or X442 prop'
http://www.pirespreto.com/traxxas.htm

The vee2.5 was flying at the new pond! Have to wait for the props to come in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89711.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	453402  
Old 05-06-2006, 08:16 PM
jimbat10

33 MPH out'a the modified .18 Nitro Vee at about half throttle.Checked with a Bushnell speed gun,on a bad run.The eBay Vee (stocker) Clocked at 18 MPH. It was Windy and the water was a little rough.The eBay Miss Bud clocked 28 MPH as shipped.I was very surprised at how easy it got speed, I did'nt know the hydro's was that much faster, maybe thats why they all joke about us Nitro Vee guys.I guess I'll never see 75 MPH out'a either of my Vee's, like that guy on eBay,I guess I should have bought that boat.Anyway the modded Vee handles good,I'm just having trouble keeping it straight,the trim tabs set it on plane automatically,and the spin fins make it handle very good. I tryed,it was'nt hard,to spin it out,and it never did that flip thing that the stocker did.My spin fins are square but I had a hard time keeping a straight line,the water was rough and it was windy,so I didn't adjust anything.The engine is great,I would advise anyone to have TNT MODS do their engines.I don't know alot about this stuff,but I'm learning,I'll tell you my goal was a 35 MPH Nitro Vee,I honestly think after I get done tweaking this thing,I will see 40.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't use the streamlined prop nut unless you like losing props. If you decide to anyway, put a sliver of fuel line between the prop and nut as it will work like a lock washer.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:42 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

well now i must build a box around my elecs. i have plexi for it but now i need the dimensions of one that i saw built. also question... i am getting water into the hull. do i need to replace the rubberpeices for the controls....?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Vertical3-D

prolly comming in at the little grommet that the shaft tube goes through...i would just put in an autobailer, I know I am gonna...jimbat10, hopefully someday ill get to see that thing run, I am gonna put fin/tab combos on mine also...Ron, there is a better way than the fuel line, the kit for the shaft has a nut, and even the kit from offshoreelectrics has the bullet nut and a regular nut, if you put the regular nut on than use the bullet nut as a locknut up agains the other nut there wont be any problems, at least none that I have had, I run a CF prop which help lock the silver nut on also...
Old 05-06-2006, 09:23 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

i too have the bullet nut works great.... i started the box for the elecs but maybe i'll just forget about it and use the existing platform....i am now looking for another hull .....
Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Vertical3-D

I may find a used blast hull and stuff the driveline in there, then ditch the rts and ezstart, i bet that lkittle thing would really move...
Old 05-07-2006, 08:39 AM
jimbat10

Get the alum. spin fin, trim tab combo from offshoreelectrics, a little corner cutting on the back mounting and drill another hole in them(as top corner hole will be cut away) I clamped them together to do this,to keep them the same. They work Great,and they are the right scale. They will take all the fun out'a wiping out though. I put all new rubber grommets on and I take on no water,they are 6.00 for both sets.Also Horizon Hobby has Nitro Vee hull for 59.99,get that and paint inner hull with Nitro Tuff paint. Also I'd like to say the Specktrum DX3 works great, I extened the antenna before I tryed it because I read on here about guys losing contact with it. I did'nt have any problems. I ran my Vee up the river till I could hardly see it. I get a steady 2 foot roster tail,and when I gas it, it doubles, with 440 brass prop. This Vee is night and day compared to the stock toy Vee. I am going to try a 632 prop as soon as I can get one, I heard they are a little faster, but slower out'a the hole.With my engine I don't think slower out'a the hole will matter. I am trying to get a Kyosho all metal U-joint,part # KYO 94425,but having trouble finding place on web to order it from. When I get that,I'll have no plastic on drive line. I'm also looking into bearings for drive line,this might be all coustom,I want to be rid of those oilite bushings.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:22 AM
bookboy22

I spoke with the boat pro at the LHS and he also said to use a thin piece of fuel tube between the prop and the streamlined nut. He said that the tubing acts as a shock absorber for the prop, and you won't through as many props.

Jimbat10,

Your vee sounds sick. I will let you know how my on order octura x442 works with the trx2.5. I'm sure once you tweak your boat with different gas % and props, your boat will hit 40-45mph.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Vertical3-D

yeah, I am gonna get the un-anodized set of fin/tabs from offshore, also an autobailer, I think I take on most of the water that gets in from spinning, and almost rolling it, and also when it spinds out and goes backwards with a little speed, jimbat10 saw that happen, first time it has done that, as far as the electronics just bag the reciever and screw it back down, but if it gets dunked it may be bad, my bag was open at one end when I rolled and sunk, if it wouldnt have sumerged the back end it would have been fine, Ill seal it for next time, hopefully the fins keep it inline, I dunno, I am still somewhat considering going crazy and dropping in the 170 dollar OS RG-M .21 pullstart, 1.7 horse, oh yeah...that would be in favor of my blast hull idea, thatd be a monster, then maybe I can keep up with jimbat10s boat, also Id loose the clutch and rts with the .21, it be a screamer....
Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Hosemeyer

What prop shaft and prop do you guys recommend to replace my current stock one? (From offshoreelectrics.com)

Also, what water pickup? and Tubing.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Vertical3-D

fabricate a water pickup from brass or aluminum tubing, use prather large line, run into the boat to the head then from the head right out the side, if you do this with the stock exhaust block off the open pressure taps on the exhaust. as for prop some run metal, I run Carbon Fiber, the offshore kit for the nitro vee give you the option of either, if you dont know how to sharpen and balance props just buy one thats done already...so I gotta say even though its alot of reading and I am always happy to help please if the answers in there already no repetitive questions...like said Ill never not answer when I can though...so Im working on a deal that would allow me to gain the cash to put an OS RG-M .21 pullstart engine in my boat, and I am also kicking around an Idea for a carb setup thats never been seen before, lets just say it be awesome in these boats if I do...Ill include pics of the new "heart" my vee will hopefully get sometime soon, I cant say overpowered fast enough, also would add a graupner U-Joint and a 3 blader perhaps, or a 42-45mm CF prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46162.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	457673  
Old 05-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Hosemeyer

What size is the hex wrench that gets the shaft off? I have one but it seems to be a little bit too small.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Vertical3-D

no clue, I generally try one till it fits if I dont know...I am also thinking about maybe going with the .18 os cuz itd fit better, but a belt start one, with the rts removed, to really lighten it up alot...
Old 05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
jimbat10

I am pretty sure it's a 1.5 mm allen wrench to remove set screws in U-joint.3-D if you use a belt start you might have to cut a slot in your motor mount plate,I thought of going that way when I got the wrong engine,but there is hardly any room between flywheel and mount plate. I am going to put a tiger drive on mine probably Friday will let you know what I think of it after the weekend.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Vertical3-D

yeah, a slot isnt a problem, its just the 70 dollar price difference thats bothering, me, I thin a belt start .18 will keep up with the .21 probablly, do to the .21 wieghing more and not having a ton more power, then Ill just get a handheld starter for it to crank it over with a belt...we'll see how it goes for the next week or two, I have some other stuff to take care of before I worry bout the vee to much...hopefully this weekend I can at least get one of my toys out, Id really like to put the gasser in the water again, I have only ran it one day so far...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:02 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

hey should i take the return to shore system outta mine....think it would lighten it up alot? if so i am willing to take it out. dont really need it as now i have got a dinghy....
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Hosemeyer

Well, I've recieved my new hull (Ordered it on sunday, arrived today, tuesday), and I'm putting a few coats of clear coat on it, just so that it won't turn yellow. I've also ordered all the parts I need to get the thing up and running properly again. (I could put all the parts back in it and it'd run fine, but I want it to run better)

What I've purchased: (For my nitrovee so far)
- New Hull (eHobbies)
- Exhaust Gasket (eHobbies)
- High Flow Silicon Tubing (offshore)
- Brass/copper Tubing, for new water pickup (offshore)
- Octura Drive (offshore)
- Carbon Fiber Prop (offshore)
- Bullet Nut (offshore)
- Prather Water Outlet (offshore)
- Spray Clear Plastic Dip (eBay)

I plan on spraying the engine/electronics compartment with the clear plastic dip, to protect from the nitro fuel.

Anyone interested in buying my old hull? the buttom of it is in perfect condition, but the engine compartment has some missing plastic and some cracks from the nitro... not looking for much.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

hey sent ya a pm hose......
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Vertical3-D

I dunno if itd be a significant different without the RTS, unless your gonna put a better engine in it I woulndt worry about it, Ill leave mine till it gets an O.S.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

too late. already took mine out. it reduces wieght. probly not enough but enough for me... lol[8D]
Old 05-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, I dunno how much you'll notice it, let us know, I figured if I loose that and the ezstart and run the more powerful OS .18 with only a belt for starting...then it will all together make a difference...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.