Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 AM
astronomer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Venom,

Water outlet: Offshore Electrics (Product ID: aero-2010
Aluminum Small Water Outlet). Now discontinued but replaced with (Product ID: ose-80895
Aluminum Small Water Outlet). It should work fine.
Use Offshore Electrics (Product ID: ose-tubing-1/4-clear
OSE Large 1/4" Tubing (3')), for water lines. This tubing offers less water flow restriction than large fuel line.
I used an Offshore Electrics Product ID: aero-2014 Aluminum Bulkhead Fitting at the stern as a good coupling point
for the water line to the larger water inlet tube. In that short line which in my case was prone to kinking I inserted
a ballpoint pen spring. No more kinking and cooling water cutoff. Easy Mod.
The prop kit was from Traxxas 1529X. Another source is Offshore Electrics (Product ID: oct-ocgcss
Conversion Shaft for Traxxas Villian & Ex and will work for the NitroVee. Another source is Octura the prop people. Look at some of the pictures that I posted
on Post#1457 for some more Mods that I have implemented. Good luck in getting the hardware you want and get
your boat in the water pronto so you can have some fun before the Summer is over.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Venom nitro v

i live in phoenix az so it almost always perfect out to run the boat. but i hear you. i am working on trying to find some parts now
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 AM
jiggy

Anyone still running the Vee?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL........... funny you should ask...... just pulled mine out of the pickling juice, the cmb .21 I had in there just was'nt conducive for a nice relaxing day at the pond, 45mph+ were attained (3/4 throttle) but the stability of the hull was "maxed out" so to speak...... [&o] I'll be going with a .18 size just to put the relaxing factor back in the game..... will keep you posted and this thread "alive".... cmon people,pull those vee's out of storage...lol MPB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16019.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	1573716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84150.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1573718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75054.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1573719  
Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 AM
jiggy

My Vee hull is cracked and beyond repair. What hull can I transfer the parts to that will run good?
Joe
Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 AM
jiggy

WOW MOPAR that Vee looks good
Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 PM
3zz

nitro vee is a good boat if you do the mods-put an os 18 into it-the driveline and clutch will sustain it-i put a modded .18 in mine and now its fast and really fun,people at the marina love it-i painted it,of course-replaced the oilite bushings with bearings/new prop/tuned pipe/get rid of factory dogbone etc. crap that won't run true//kyosho steel u-joint/new rx system/autobailer/epoxy the inside hull/many more mods-i enjoyed it all because the n/v is a good basic rough water boat,a good design overall-ps-try bigger turn fins-,i made mine custom-it won't turn as fast-but makes it really stable-it really sticks now-no spin outs-i have worked on boats my whole life,real boats-n/v was my first r/c boat,and still my favorite
Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: Budaslate

I took her out on the water today. Results were mixed. The engine ran great, having some trouble with the rts leads poppin off, but thats an easy fix. The big problem im having is it seams the boat is unstable at speed. as soon as the boat gets on plane, and picks up any speed it seems to spin to one side. The stearing is also very touchy, I can barely make a turn without spinning out. I though that the spin fins were suppossed to assist with this, so im not sure why its happening. I played with the trim tabs, and the stearing trim trying to get it to not spin, but no luck. It seems to favor the left side which is a little odd because the battery's are on the right side of the boat, and you can actually see it lean just a bit to the right when in the water. That being said, it still spins out to the left when i get an speed at all. Its pretty frustrating because I really wanna see what it can do, seems to have alot of power, but i cant keep it stable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I like the idea of plastidipping the servos. I went to my LHS, and i picked up a gasket set for the traxxas 2075, and 2056 servos that are waterproof from the factory, you can take those gaskets and put them on a 2055, or a 2070 and get your self a water proof servo. It takes a bit of doing, but it works.

one bad aspect of the outdrive configgeration is the tendancy to INDUCE this instability when "powered up",3zz who runs the same configgeration has tried BIGGER fins with apparent SUCESS, I got tired of the same issues and went with the speedmaster surface drive from offshore electrics, = problem solved... mpb

Name:	Ay76056.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1576057  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
3zz

mopartys set up is really what i wanted-its the best by far,but i just didn't want to lose the clutch,and didn't really want that big a project,but would like to see pics of the inside of his boat,to see how he did the rudder servo/placement/connection,and the exact model system he used-i looked at speedmaster website,but how to know which one?another thing you can do with the servos is take out the little circuit board and coat it with "conformal epoxy",let it dry,put back together,then put a little rubber o ring(the right size),on top of the spindle,then put the servo horn down over the o ring(a little waterproof grease under the o ring is good too)-this will make it virtually waterproof-you can do the same with the rx-i have sunk the boat-dumped out water,cleaned engine-back in action
Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
3zz

my turn fins are pretty big,the amount in the water is 2 5/8",width @1" at widest point-i made them myself out of aluminum plate stock i bought at home depot-if you do this remember the boat won't turn as fast,turns a wider circle-but you can stay wide open and not have to worry about "spin out"(which really isn't too bad with stock set up,once you get used to it,but even then you get some spin outs
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
3zz

moparty has the best n/v i have ever seen,and i've done my homework on the n/v- for 12 years-eerily similar to mine except for that insane paint job(mine is yellow,with black decals/highlights)-I did the best i could do painting her-mo-please keep mo pics and mo info coming so we can all benefit!!-one thing i don't understand is why run the tuned pipe thru the factory exhaust system?doesn't this effect the "tuned pipe principle"?(distance/back pressure etc.)-if you are still "hitting the pipe",then i guess not-3zz
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
mopartybob

LOL......and thanks for the comps, my pond is pretty strict when it comes to run times and noise,some days are elec. only...... [:'(] ,but when i hooked up to the stock exh. pipe it REALLY quieted it down and i was able to run it without any appreciable loss of power...or complaints. as far as the rudder/servo hookup placement i still used the same servo tray and just reversed the rudder servo,and kept the throttle servo in the same locale,...., will keep youz updated as i refit this thing.... mpb
Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 AM
jiggy

Where can I find a new hull ?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 PM
3zz

tks mo- i bought the mac's"quiet pipe"-but i figured this was your reason for running it through the stock muffler set up-occurred to me after my post-and it looks so cool-i get too caught up in" tuned pipe theory"
Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 PM
3zz

JIGGY-best i can do-get your hull here http://www.buytraxxas.com/default.ph...0_2170_1932-go to "3511" very,very rarely seen today in corporate america-i give it to traxxas for this-traxxas still carries parts for what they now refer to as"legacy models"-go to "traxxas.com",if link doesn't work for you,go to "legacy models"-"Nitro-Vee" if all this doesn't work for you-go to ebay-people are selling old nitro vees that they have no idea or care about in the least-they have found some "radio boat" in the closet- and all they want is to sell it on ebay and make a few bucks. I've seen "originals" on ebay with the first image .12 engine(hopefully,this one won't go UP in value)-take your time you will find a great deal for a hull-and probably alot more included
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM
astronomer1

It has been quite a while since I have posted something worthwhile. Here in Colorado, Spring has finally arrived with some decent warm weather. Has anyone had a plastic RTR gear shreaded by the small pivoting gear on the RTR motor? Well today it happened on my first day out on the pond. Fortunately it happened on my 3rd tankful. At least I got a little time on the water. When this happens, you have to let the boat drift ashore or retrieve it by some other means. Breeze got the boat ashore.
Came up with a fix for a bouncing RTR motor pivot gear. Carefully bend a short piece of .010-.015" piano wire as shown in the attached pictures. Form a large loop on the end that goes over the pivoting RTR motor gear. Keep the formed spring from touching the gear as touching causes the servo's to chatter like any other loose metal hardware potentially does. Attach the little spring to the EZ start plug bracket screw. A little experimentation will get you the right shape.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM
astronomer1

Sorry folks, the attached pictures I was referring to didn't attach for some reason. I'll work on it to get them posted because the little widget I made doesn't make sense without a 1000 word picture.

Name:	Vt57276.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1584590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85003.jpg
Views:	129
ID:	1584591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24752.jpg
Views:	121
ID:	1584592  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 AM
jiggy

3ZZ
I was thinking of putting the guts in a SV 27. Do you think that would work?
Joe
Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM
MNTURBO

Hi everyone!I have a nitro Vee with upgraded cooling, the X440 prop and the MACS pipe, but just last week I decided to join the other idiots that went off the deep end....
I had an old 3.3 motor laying around, so I started ordering parts to install it in my vee. Since multi shaft cranks are super expensive ($45 shipped if you can find one) I ended up buying a brand new TRX 3.3 5409 motor! I figured to get my worn 3.3 going, it would cost 45 for the crank, 15 for the OWB, and 20 for the pull start = $80. I sold my old 3.3 on CL for $60, so that offset the price of the new 3.3 down to $75!
Now I realize the 3.3 will have more power than is usable, but I'm looking for the limit. Maybe I'll eventually set the carb linkage to keep from going past 80-90% throttle. As for cooling, I fully intend on having the engine air cooled - that way it will still recieve cooling when off-plane, or idling. The 3.3 motor is so tall, it may stick up into enough to get air flow as is, if not I'll figure something out.
Pics to come
Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
MNTURBO

Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
MNTURBO

Here is it right now - better cooling lines, cooling out the side, MACs pipe, X440 prop, and the turn fin has been repositioned

I plan to send the cooling directly to the pipe, play around with props (I have a X440 metal prop, and a 42mm and 48mm graupner CF props) and tap the pipe or header for driveline lubrication and tank pressure

I'm stoked!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
MNTURBO

Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 AM
3zz

nice-and don't worry about too much power-you have control of the throttle,after all-you will learn when it flips-personally-my custom os .18 seems to max out the n/v design capabilities-what a great boat!!!-a great design for rough water
Old 06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
ryanwilson277

Can I ditch the t fitting in the water cooling and put it strait into the exause header where half of it already is? And I can't seem to fing the cf prop upgrade kit in stock anywhere.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
astronomer1

Precision Carbon Filled Props by Graupner can be found at OffshoreElectrics.Com . They are about $5.oo, don't need sharpening and balancing and work just fine. The come in various sizes. Look-up the specs for the Octura X440 and find the equivalent Graupner propeller.
Hope this info gets you where you want to be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.