Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

traxxas nitro vee help and tips?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

traxxas nitro vee help and tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:11 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traxxas nitro vee help and tips?

i have a traxxas nitro vee comin to me and was wandering if and what mods to be done on it? any comments or suggestions will be taken . also if anyone wants to they may email me at my email addy.
thanks guys.
cheers
Andy
Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: traxxas nitro vee help and tips?

Heres a thread I started on the nitro vee, I was also looking for performance improvements, and didnt find a whole lot...ppl dont usually like them cuz they can be a bit of a sled stock(sled=slow and heavy)...So check that out and then you may(if not on alot of a budget)look into the trx2.5 marine engine(though it will reguire a bit of work to fit up)it should be out shortly as tower and horizon have it listed now[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3792740/tm.htm]nitrovee thread[/link]...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

ya i seen that post, actually using your pics as reference points. i already have the brass prop on it. heard alot about the heating problems. i wander if you can drill out the existing water intake to make it bigger instead of goin brass tube. ? i think also that i will be fibreglassing the hull as well so it does not break on me. sound like a plan? another thing to i see is that the electric start does not work all the time? another thing too is i heard that they do have the 2.5 but would that not burn the boat to a crisp?thats alot of modding. i would sooner do a port polish then try to fit the 2.5.... anyways thank you and hope to hear more comments....

p.s. what ya think of moving the intake to the side with the point facing back towards the transom? will this be better for cooling? just a thought
Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

nah, leave that cooling where it is, bu moving the turn fin to how i have mine will help some, then i just used a prather chromed water exit and prather line for colling tubing. You could drill that tube out, but mine actually broke off, the brass tube epoxied into the old mount works nice, also you can put a steeper angle on the tube, so that more water is forced into it, as far as the 2.5 goes it is water cooled and runs around the same temps as the pro .15 but the exhuast header and the throttle linkage would need to be figured out and also the mounts may be different, i havent checked yet...as for fiberglass, id stay away from it, its a mess, and this boat is heavy to begin with(as in way heavy)if you put a 2.5 pullstart in it, ditchced the rts and e-z start, then maybe it would be alright, the pro .15 just doesnt and will never have the power to push all that wieght along...its a fairly tough boat though so i dont think it will be a problem, even fiberglass will crack if you catch a rock at 30mph...mine stays very cool with the new cooling as well so there went the cooling problems...as for the e-z start crapping out, its the one way bearing, it slips, (if it just spins but the motor wont turn over), a pullstart may solve it or a sullivan tiger drive, but nothing is gonna be 100% fail proof, i have broken pullstarts before and heard that tiger drives can start slipping to.you can try and find a different carb that will work, and port and polish it, the exhaust helps alot.only port and polish it if you know what your doing though, if not theres about a 99%chance you'll trash the sleeve, id say before that take two of the three thin head gaskets out, that jacks the compression up which helps a good deal to...if you have any more questions or ideas jsut let me know, i really like to interest in this boat cuz i really like mine, and it handle rough water great(unless there 20mph winds, but if you read the other thread you will know what happens then)...