Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Serface drive, How deep?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Serface drive, How deep?

Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM
ledzep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serface drive, How deep?

Hello everyone, I am working on a serface boat and I was curious how deep the prop should be in the water for maximum performance.

Thank You.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Serface drive, How deep?

start with the shaft level with the bottom of the hull and go from there..oh and its surface...
Old 02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
pinky_d_brain

Most surface drives start at bottom of the transom (like at the bottom of the V) and go out form there. Your boat is flatter so I not sure I just saying what I have read in the forms on this site you can check out the prop sharpening post at the top of the page it may help you with your problem there is some good info there. Where you photo shopped the prop in on your turning problem post looks ok just make it parallel with the bottom of the hull to start off with and experiment form there with the angel and depth. Every boat is a little different so no one can say exactly I believe the center of the prop should site half in the water when it planes out. Some one may be able to give you some more info If we new what hull you have, can you post a pic of the full boat (top side bottom front back) just so we now what you are working with. You may have to drill a new hole in the bottom of the transom to get it rite but don't do that unless its absolutely certain that is the problem don’t want to do all that work for nothing
Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try this, the easy way. Your stuffing tube should exit the transom at the bottom of the Vee inside the boat with the tube lying on the bottom.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 PM
ledzep

Hey Ron, could see a pic of the transom of your Wild Thing .12? So I could get an idea of what you are talking about.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 11:04 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Not sure when Ron will be able to answer, so I found a couple pics of his boat for you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65296.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	404653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82333.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	404654  
Old 02-08-2006, 11:06 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

It looks like his uses a strut. The plans for the WT actually just show the stuffing tube exiting the transom and no strut. The stuffing tube comes out the transom as close to the point of the vee as you can get it.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a picture of my Wild Thing someplace in this collection of information. The thread dealt with building a Wild Thing started by Ross MacLeod

Apon further review --------- The thread is "Wild Thing Construction Photos" started by Ross Macleod. Look at post #34. That is the rear of my Wild Thing showing the trim tabs, rudder and prop shaft placement.