Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Hull Selection Advice

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Hull Selection Advice

Old 02-08-2006, 08:31 AM
bscotti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull Selection Advice

So here I am enjoying this new found site and I happen to remember that somewhere at the parents' house is a nitro outboard that I bought 15+ years ago to experiment with. A couple phone calls later, I learned that down in the basement sat a nearly new in the box K&B 7.5cc outboard (model 8701). I had installed it on a Dumas tunnel and only fired it up once to hear it run. The boat is long gone (wish I knew where!) but the engine remains. I can't let that just sit there!

So, here's my question ... I'd like to get it running on a vee hull (lakes are tunnel friendly smooth only once or twice a year around here!), but haven't seen any models advertized as being for that size o/b. Most everything is listed as 3.5cc ready. Any advice on hull selection is greatly appreciated. I haven't eliminated selling the 7.5 and buying a 3.5.

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 AM
oldlugs

Default RE: Hull Selection Advice

I suggest you get a new Prather deep vee hull kit. They were one of the fast hulls from 15-20 years ago, and still work extremely well. They're a little bit more work to prep & paint, but they're light, strong, and handle very well.

Duane
Old 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM
bscotti

Thanks, Duane. That's the first hull I was considering, but only saw the 31 as "advertized" as being suitable for an outboard. Not knowing too much about these, would I just go up to the next hull length to use my 7.5cc?

Brian
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

For the 7.5 motor you'll want the 40" Prather D-V. Prather does make an outboard kit for this boat. I need to start working on mine for this years fun..
Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
bscotti

Thanks, Mark.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 PM
oldlugs

Here's my old 40" Prather (inboard though). This one's the original style, or "classic" deck: