Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

What Nitro Fuel do you use?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

What Nitro Fuel do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:52 PM
330T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Nitro Fuel do you use?

I've looked every where to fine a local hobby shop that has good high nitro fuel for boats, but it seems in Southern Ohio they cater to the car and aero people. So I’m forced to special order and they hit you up big time when you do that so I’d rather give my money to a website than the local guy who is of no help to me what so ever.

So where do you buy your fuel and what do you run in your boats?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: What Nitro Fuel do you use?

I order Redmax directly from FHS supply. There should be lots of boaters in your area. It's common about this time of year to start planning bulk fuel and glow plug purchases.

Edit: Check with this club: http://www.cincymbc.com/
Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

You are in luck. I'm a member of the Cincy model boat club. I use Wild Cat fuel only. It's made in Nicholasville, Ky. which is about 15 miles south of Lexington. I do this for all CMBC members. If you need fuel, let me know. I will bring it up to the pond at no extra cost for CMBC members. It's not a biggie for me to haul a few extra gallons up when I plan on coming up to run. The few times I have done this, the guys normally drop a few extra $$ my way to cover some of the gas used to get to the pond. I live 2 hours away as it is.. I haven't priced their fuel lately, but for 4 gallons of 65%, it'll be $100 delivered to the pond.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 AM
330T

thanks mark, I'll take you up on that offer. I'll be sending you a PM in the next few days
Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There seems to be a common misconseption floating through this site that you have to have special boat fuel. Boat fuel, Airplane fuel, and car fuel are all made from the same ingrediants; Nitro methane, methanol and a lubricant that is sometimes all synthetic oil or a mix of synthetic and castor oil. NO MAGIC. Simply choose the nitro content you want and the oil package that is appropriate for you engine and buy it! Boat engines like castor oil in about a 2% mix with synthetic. Total oil package should be around 16 to 18%. If you buy from Red Max as suggested by PC (Piper Chuck) you can request whatever you want for a fuel mix. Just be ready for the shipping charges. Buy by quarts and save a lot! If your desire is to run for fun rather than race, any low nitro (10, 15, 25, 30%) fuel will work. For the engines that is see most of you using, high nitro is a waste of money. I like Wildcat Premium extra (18% oil with castor) for fun running. Their Premium is 16% oil with castor. For racing, I use Red Max 60% but I sure don't waste it for non race fun.

Don't get sucked into this garbage about Boat fuel, Airplane fuel or car fuel
Old 02-10-2006, 09:03 AM
330T

the problem is the local shop does not offer anything over 20%, and if you ask them to order you 30% or more they get all twitchy about it. I'd rather not have to deal with the local shop and deal direct with tower or horizon if i can.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Without getting into a philosophical discussion about supporting local hobby shops, I'll just say that Tower appears to be about the wor$t place to buy fuel. Also, I buy lots of stuff from people who specialize in boating parts, even when I can get it from Tower.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
ob nut

I'll add this about fuel. No matter what I do, race or fun, it's all the same brand of fuel. I won't change fuel mfgr or nitro percent just to save a buck. It's not that much difference for me. I will stick with the same manufactor no matter what. Besides, all my boats are for racing.

As for supporting the LHS, I've had the same experince as 330T. I asked the LHS to order me Wildcat, they refused to do so [>:], even though they order from them for the normal stock items. Why should I support a LHS that won't support me? Get this, after they refused to order for me, they told me to drive down myself and save the shipping. After that encounter, that is what I've been doing. I still shop at the LHS for items I need, but it is a hour drive to get there.

Not to put down Red Max or any other fuel, but this is first hand experince. One of the club members was happy that I provide this service. He was running Red Max 60% in his 45 / 60 hydros. When I showed up with the fuel, he ran the tank out of his 45 hydro. They radar'd the boat. He then put in the Wildcat 65% and picked up 5 mph. No other changes to the boat. The only reason he ran Red Max is that the club ordered in bulk. He prefers Wildcat, but did not want to make the drive down. I asked later what he did with the Red Max he had left over. Weed killer was the response back. Wildcat will ship to any club in bulk and give a club discount. Their discount is that they pay for shipping.

For someone out just playing around, especially with those RTR boats, I agree that high nitro is a waste of money.

That is my .02 cents.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 PM
mybudisfast

In response to piperchuck....yes, you are right about tower.......and their delivery time is a total joke. I now search for hobby specialty companies, to purchase what I need, with GREAT success! I am running a supercharged .15 Dynamite in my bud boat, and use 30% Trinity moster fuel. It has 18% synthetic with 2% castor content, I have tried about every fuel know to mankind, and i settled on Trinity, because of performance, but again....my bud is supercharged

Budman
Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: ob nut

You are in luck. I'm a member of the Cincy model boat club. I use Wild Cat fuel only. It's made in Nicholasville, Ky. which is about 15 miles south of Lexington. I do this for all CMBC members. If you need fuel, let me know. I will bring it up to the pond at no extra cost for CMBC members. It's not a biggie for me to haul a few extra gallons up when I plan on coming up to run. The few times I have done this, the guys normally drop a few extra $$ my way to cover some of the gas used to get to the pond. I live 2 hours away as it is.. I haven't priced their fuel lately, but for 4 gallons of 65%, it'll be $100 delivered to the pond.

Mark,
please include me, let me know anytime, thanks..
Old 02-16-2006, 06:58 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: mybudisfast
i settled on Trinity, because of performance
Budman
Take a look at that bottle of Trinity. It should have a statement on there that it is made by Wildcat.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:00 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: wave waker

Mark,
please include me, let me know anytime, thanks..
No problem, will have you covered.