Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Buying a nitro boat...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Buying a nitro boat...

Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 AM
indebound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a nitro boat...

I'm interested in getting into the nitro area (from electric). Therefore I am new in nitro - Would like to know some nitro's, either tunnel, cat, or V that would give some good excitement. and what size engines? i'd be interested in the 25-35mph range. thanks.

Inde
Old 02-13-2006, 02:48 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Buying a nitro boat...

Better question is how much do you want to spend. $$$ = speed.. Another item to think of what are other people running in your area. What are the water conditions like? Tunnels like smooth water, DV's can handle about anything and cats like it in the middle. The TS2 tunnel is a great boat to start with, not a bad price from Tower if the boat/motor combo is purchased.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
indebound

250-350 bucks, just something to mess around with. I have a DV right now, so i'd like to see how tunnel's run. I have a certain interest in outboards as well, but no experience. set me straight.

thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 02:46 PM
330T

If you want a tunnal check out the Top Speed 2

Tower Hobby Link

On the link provided you will see the list of parts needed, motor, radio, as well as the other stuff. It will total over the $350 you wanted to spend but its a solid boat and a good starting price.

If you wanted to get into a RTR boat, something you dont need to build everything you need but gas and batteries come in one box already built check out the Miss Elam.
Link to Tower Hobby Page for Miss Elam

Other RTR boats include...
Miss Llumar People will bash the Miss Llumar but i've run one for a year or more and its a good running boat. Not superfast, but starts everytime, and is easy, and fun.
Shock Wave 32 There is a lot of info on the Shock wave on this site. Again a boat thats fun easy to run but not going to set the water on fire..
Thunder Cat I'm awaiting the releace of this boat.. Another Pro Boats so some one the board will bash it.. but I'm sure like their other boats it will run well, and be lots of fun.

All of these boats are sub $400 but the Top Speed 2 and even that could be if you got motor and radio from ebay or other "used" parts. Its all in what you want to do with it. The RTR boats dont need a starter just get screw driver, glo starter, and small bottle of fuel and your ready to go..

With a RTR boat or other "pull start boat" one of these is all you need to take to the pond
Dubro Pit Stop
Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Not to put down 330T, but I'd stay away from the hydros till you get some experience with nitro boats. In the case of the Llumar/Bud hulls, most have nothing but trouble with it, not to mention they normally require several mods to get them to run right. I would recommend the Nitro Hammer for a first boat. It's easy to work with, easily upgradable, and not as expensive as the Pro Boat hulls. One other thing about the Pro Boat RTRs, the radio supplied is a bottom of the barrel system that is incompatable with other radios from the same manufacturer, at least last I knew. Just my .02
Old 02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm usually the first or second in line to not recommend a hydro to a new boater but maybe the Miss Elam has changed my mind. Realy reports from the factory guys is thatc it is a much easier boat to drive than the Miss Bud/Llumar without the cavitation problems but still more than likely a glass-smooth water boat. If you did decide to get one order it from your LHS as they will have them about 1 month sooner than Tower will.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 PM
indebound

From the looks of it, I think my first choice right now is the Top Speed. is there any clutch mechanism on the engine's that'll prevent the prop from spinnin before you put them in, or are they all like that?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Ron Olson

Nope you're out of luck if you want a clutch on a .21 OB. There was one on eBay but it was a one-off.
The TS 2 looks like a great boat, hard to beat for the price tag. The designer, Jerry Dunlap took his time working on everything for that boat from the design to the excellent owners manual.
You might want to refer to it in the future as the Top Speed 2 not as the Top Speed. The original was a piece of work, really bad. I know, I made the mistake of buying one of those.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Thompy

The company that had the clutch system for the K&B outboard was ABRC design. They do have a website and as far as I know they sell the clutch system. The website is http://www.abrcdesign.com/ BUT I don't know about this. Looks like a homemade design, and water and clutches don't mix, espically if its so exposed like it is. The clutch sits every bit of an inch out of the water, so it looks in their pictures and videos.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
indebound

Wow guys, thanks for the input.

So it seems that clutches on an outboard, or any nitro for that matter, are slightly unusual. what's the idle speed of a typical nitro when you want to take it out (assuming you haven't burned all the fuel). is there a trick to bringin' it back to shore?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Ron Olson

No trick to shutting it down as your throttle has a neutral (idle) position that you use for firing it up but when you push the trigger outward as opposed to squeezing the throttle to go faster, it should fully close the carb.
Idle speed is at around 2,000 RPM typically.