Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Hopper Tank

Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM
johcap2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopper Tank

I have been reading that quite a few people use hopper tanks on their outboards. I have had problems at times of my boat getting sufficient fuel and was wondering if this would be a good solution. If so I have a few questions. What size tank should I use, should I place it on top of the existing tank, how do I hook up the fuel lines and how much fuel should I put in each tank? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FYI - I am running a Lap Cat II with a K & B 7.5 with a tuned pipe.
Thanks
John
Old 02-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Hopper Tank

A 1 or 2 oz. tank will do the job. Jim Irwin of Irwin Pipes fame came out with a nice hopper tank last year that is more streamlined than the current others being made.
Mount the tank as high up as you can after finding one that fits best in the space that you have.
As for hooking up the hopper tank it's fairly straightforward from your current setup. From you main tank, run the line that went to your carb to the hoppers vent line then the other line to the carb. When filling the tanks do it normally disconnect the carb line and pump into that to fill. The hopper will fill first then the main tank.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:42 PM
johcap2

Ron thanks for the info. Can you tell me what I should expect as far as performance? Will I have to adjust fuel mixture or make any other changes? Just want to know what to expect if I decide to do this.
Thanks
John
Old 02-14-2006, 11:07 PM
johcap2

Ron also do you know how I could get info on the tank that Jim Irwin designed such as price and dimensions?
John
Old 02-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When I get home today (I'm supposed to be released from the hospital this afternoon) I'll have to see what info that I can get from Jim. I have his e-mail address and phone number there.