Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

cmb engines

Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 PM
seaducer21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cmb engines

hey ron, or who someone who knows i was just wondering if the cmb 21 is a fast engine for my seaducer 21 hull and how fast in mph if u know. Thanx.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
RcCarFreak

Default RE: cmb engines

there's a guy where i run my boats, his hull is 25 inches, has a cmb .21, and was clocked at 35mph.... hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

The IMPBA records for this size are held by Nova Rossi. For monos, it's currently at 65 MPH. I would think you should be able to get between 40 and 50 with this hull/engine combination.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The only experience that I have with CMB's is a buddy that bought 2 Greenhead's. The engines ran pretty well but the only problems that he had was the same as most other Greenhead owners, the O-ring around the high-speed needle has a problem with leakage, bad enough that a lot of owners switched over to remote needles to cure the problem.
We messed aorund with one of his last summer, doing some prop tests on his Wild Thing. He was cranking over some larger blades that I have been on my .21 Rossi. It was doing quite well until a bearing went south that day.
Get the matching TT pipe, it's not only reasonable in price but one of the quietest pipes that I've ever heard. When you can be flying along and hear the water splashing off the hull, you know that it's quiet!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:58 AM
oldlugs

Please forgive the thread hihack... Nothing against CMB [sm=thumbup.gif]

Ron, are you running the Rossi Piranha? What are your thoughts on the Rossi .21 you're using?
I'm thinking of picking up a couple of Piranhas from Hyperformance next week.

Thanks,

Duane
Old 02-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Ron Olson

Dear Highjacker,
I love my Pirahna. Keep in mind that they do take a long time to break in, a lot longer than most other engines. You may find that it will take a good gallon or more before she really wakes up but isn't bad when new so don't give up on it too soon. I went to the Nova Rossi header to keep it closer to the block and am using an Irwin quiet pipe as I thought that is worked better than the Rossi and OPS pipes that I had at the time. As it gets broken in, you can start turning larger props. The pipe length needs to be 1" longer than what is normally used, I tried going shorter but it ran like crap so I think that I'm at 9-1/2" with the Irwin.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:36 AM
oldlugs

Thanks Ron! I just picked up a Microburst 20 size boat to try it in... Hoping to build a competitive A mono to run in the SoCal area this spring.

Duane
Old 02-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Ron Olson

That's OK Duane. I like to see people trying to march to the beat of a different drummer. Nothing against MAC's as I do own one myself but everyone seems to think that it is the only engine to own. On any given day, any engine can rule the races. My Pirahna has had one such day in the sun. My son is the driver of that boat and did lap all but one boat at a district race. After he had run the 6 laps did he tell me that he wasn't even running it WOT! I just like to run something out of the ordinary to see what I can get out of them.