Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

top speed 2

Old 02-16-2006, 03:03 AM
85Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top speed 2

hey guys i have a topspeed 2 with a os 21.i was wondering if anyonehas an actual recorded speed on this boat.i know the ads say 50+ and thats highly unlikely but mines seems really slow.just curious..thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 06:17 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: top speed 2

I haven't followed all the speed reports, but JD reported speeds in the upper 30s and low 40s when he was doing his early testing. This was with a K&B engine. So, if yours is slow, something's not right. Tell us about your setup. Did you mount the engine according to specs? What prop are you using? What fuel are you using, etc?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Never expect advertised speeds out of any boat. 40-45 is reasonable stock, 50 takes a lot more work and any 3.5 OB tunnel gets a little more flighty at and over 50 anyway. The big differences are working carefully on the setup, then messing with props and fuel. Small changes make big differences in OB tunnels, something that you may or may not have already found out about. When you find you boats sweet spot, mark it somehow. One little trick is to drill 1/16" holes in the motor mount where you can later on run a piece of wire or the drill bit through to easily re-align everything again. Use a Sharpie, nail or whatever you need to mark your spots. Believe me, I had a 7.5 OB tunnel that took me forever to get dialed in. Be fore I got it marked, one of my buddies took it upon himself to try some tweaking on my settings. I never got the thing to handle right again.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
85Flyer

well ive just now got the engine broke in,its a os 21 ob,stock prop,and 15% nitro,i know the nitro may be a little low,i was just using it for break in,engine is mounted and aligned to specs,what prop and fuel do you guys recomend?anything else that will help.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The little engines love fuel so don't be shy about dumping some 50% into it. The hottest prop may be the highly modded Octura 1440 that Mark Sholund (Props-4-U) is making but he currently has a long list of people waiting for them.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:54 PM
ob nut

The NAMBA SAW record for 3.5 Sport tunnel is over 60 mph. Motor was the OS, not certain if it was the newer or older version. Takes time, experince and $$ to get to that level. If you are racing, get the highest nitro you can. If playing around, 45% - 50% will be fine. Lots of testing with different props. x1440, m440, Lynx cut X442 are all current hot props. I'm one of those waiting for an order from Props4U. My order was put in last December, still waiting. But to put this in perspective, Mark has been waiting for the new SPP 7.5 pipe to come up from down under to complete my order.