Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Fist Boat Suggestions

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Fist Boat Suggestions

Old 02-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Chovy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fist Boat Suggestions

Well, I decided that I was going to get into nitro boating so I am just curious as to what kind of boat is a good boat. I am really considering a hydro beacse I like the way they look over the Mono,cats,tunnels. Pretty much what i wnat is

1.Fast (something in the high 30 and 40mph range)
2.Great Looks
3.Cost under 400cdn rtr. excluding fuel,batterys,etc.
4.Customizable. Bigger motor, etc

Currently considering the Miss Elam plus

can you change the colour oif the boats?
Juts wondering I know that these boats don't turn well to the left and am juts wondering if this fixable or made into a smaler problem. Myabe if i put more turn fins? 2 ruddders? maybe a small electric motor wiht a prop and couter spin the main prop?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Fist Boat Suggestions

A hydro generally isn't a good choice for a first-time boater but the Miss Elam isn't like the others before it from other companies. It's not a bad price for what you get, is easier to upgrade than the competitions boats for possible racing in the IMPBA Sport 20 class.
Painting, yes it can be done, no big deal. There should be other paint schemes that could work very well on that hull.
Turning better to the right than left is simply the nature of the beast. They will turn left, just not as well as to the right.
If you get one, don't go messing with it. They have a very good crew of people working on the Aquacraft boats now, people that have a lot of years of business, building and competition time under their belts that are really trying to get some good boats out at very reasonable costs. It makes you wonder who is designing the boats for the other companies after knowing who is now working for Hobbico/Aquacraft.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Chovy

cool thanks i read somwere that turnign left at high speeds will make your nerves tense casue it will go on 1 sponson and then flip and be destroyed. also for painting what kind of paint should i use lexan? or just regualr paint? also should I sand it a little
Old 02-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, whatever they say....................
You want a fuelproof paint and the prep work should be no big whoop. Wipe it down with solvent to remove any oils, residue and other junk. Lightly sanding with 400 grit or higher will gvie the paint a little extra for it to stick to.
As far as paint goes, the easiest is the rattle-can Top-Flite LustreKote paints, Tower Hobbies carries it. It's only advertised as being fuelproof to 20% but we've had higher on it. You just have to clean up any spills quickly.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Chovy

cool i will proably repaint as soon as i take it out so i think maybe just a single wipe with 400 grit paper and a final clean will do it