Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Engine Care.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:59 PM
ledzep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Care.

Hello everyone, I have been running a boat with a O.S 18 and I was wondering if there was any way that these boat engines should be cared for. Like are there any special procedures I should go through after or before the running process. I know that letting the engine cool down is important after every run, and using after run oil is good to. Also I am also getting little gray spots on the engine and the glow plug is turning lite brown on the inside. Is that a sign of it running to hot, or it running to rich / lean?

Any help would be great.
Ledzep
Old 02-20-2006, 11:29 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine Care.

Only boat motors that need to cool down inbetween runs are electric.. Nitro or gas, pour the fuel in and run.

As for maintance, everyone has their process. If the motor is submerged while running, take the plug out and turn the motor over a few times to get the water out. Some will spray a bit of WD-40 in at this time. At the end of day, pinch off the fuel line at the carb. Start the motor up to run the last of the fuel out of the carb. Take the plug out and spray WD40 and/or after run oil into the carb and plug hole. Turn the motor over. Spray WD40 into the water jacket to get the water out of there also. When turning the motor over without the plug, cover the hole with a cloth rag, don't use paper towel. Wipe the whole boat down to clean and dry it. Look over the moving parts to make sure if there are repairs needed. Might be a good thought to lube the shaft also at this time.

Can't help you on the plug condition at this time, my cheat sheet is at home.. I've taken black plugs out due to starting way too rich..
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 PM
ledzep

Ok, I noticed that the plug does look a little brownish. Could that mean that the engine is running to rich?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 PM
ob nut

It is possible rich. How does the motor react to throttle movement, from idle, while on the stand? If the motor bogs a bit and tries to clear out but doesn't, then it's rich. If the motor clears out and screams, too lean. The motor should bog a bit and then clear out. Don't just sit there and work the needle while sitting on the bench. Motor will get hot quickly. Best make a change of 1/8 or 1/4 turns each time the needle is adjusted. After each adjustment, put the boat in the water and see what it does..
Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Without seeing it, it's a bit hard to tell, but the light brown I'm used to seeing means it's just about right.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The light brown is usually just burnt oil.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:04 PM
ledzep

Ok I think I might be running the engine a little rich. Is it ok to run the engine on the bench if you have water going throught the head? I just use a old electric fuel pump. Or does the motor need to have a load on it all times.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe a brownish colour is alright as long as you are getting desired performance. It's the real light white coloured glow plug element that you have to watch out for.

Ryan
Old 02-24-2006, 07:37 PM
ledzep

well, I did notice that where the element touches the plug, there is some black on the element.