Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

BOAT MOLDING

Old 02-23-2006, 08:46 AM
ZX1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOAT MOLDING

CAN I POUR CANDLE WAX OVER MY HULL AND FORM A NEW HULL
OUT MINE WITH FIBRE GLASS & RESIN WITHOUT DAMAGING IT ????
OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY THANKS
Old 02-23-2006, 09:31 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BOAT MOLDING

you,ll need a lot of candles!!!,how about cling film ,wrap it .a few layers might do it just an idea another way ive heard of is plaster of paris build a box for the boat put it in upside down and mould clay round the edges where you dont want plaster to get and pour it over the boat after covering the hull with some kind of wax!!.easyer to remove the deck 1st too.good luck
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Candle wax has a low melting temperature, as low as 150-170 degrees. This I know because one of the jobs that I do at work is with wax impregnating paperboard. The heat from an epoxy curing has enough heat to start melting the wax completely messing everything up.
We also use a silicone mold release wax at work that comes in a spray can. You should be able to find something similar to use to help keep the parts separate. A Saran Wrap type of cling film wrinkles too easily. I can't wrap a sandwich with that stuff much less thinking of trying to put it over a hull wrinkle-free!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
martno1fan

yea but the wrinkles will be on the inside ron!!,also using a hair dryer will help in removing some not ideal way to do it but worth a try maybe!!.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
ZX1

ok thanks i think maybe plaster of paris will work do i cover the hull with grease first ?
also when i said i want to mold from my hull i meant that i will be molding from the outside .[ up side down ]
is this the correct way ? this will be my first try [ gotta start somewhere...right [8D]]
Old 02-23-2006, 01:11 PM
martno1fan

yes give it a try mate and yes cover the hull with wax you can get mould release wax but maybe other wax would do the job!!.make sure you build the box a little higher than the boat when its layed upside down say a couple of inches higher to make sure the mould wont break easy then put a lid on it and fasten with screws when youve let the plaster set and turn it upside down then try removing your hull.also when you pour in the plaster keep shaking the box or tapping it with a mallet to help reduce air bubbles forming. i used to make plaster mouldings and we used a table that vibrated to remove air bubbles or an old washing machine set on fast spin will do the job.!!.also any air holes in the plaster can be filled with poly filla then lay the fibre glass inside the plaster mould and make yourself a new boat!!.also try putting wax into the plaster mould before you start to help release it when its done!!.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:30 PM
ZX1

thanks you guys have been a great help i will start to make the box tomorrow
and sunday start the molding . how long does it take to dry ??
and do i have to tighten a lid down on the mold box ??
Old 02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
martno1fan

build a box put your boat in upside down seal it with clay round edges to stop the plaster going where it shouldnt,then fill it up with plaster after its set put a lid on and screw it down then flip it ,take bottom off and you should have a mould when you take out the hull!!.make sure you seal the hull down with clay you dont want any plaster getting under there !!.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:29 PM
ROGER309

use pvc mould release agent for fibreglassing