Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

how can i solder my coupling to shaft?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

how can i solder my coupling to shaft?

Old 02-24-2006, 10:50 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how can i solder my coupling to shaft?

hi ive never used solder before but i have a coupling for my 61 size converted plane engine trouble is it fits the engine but not the shaft my idea was to drill the hole bigger to fit the shaft inside and then solder it together how do i do it and what kind of solder and flux do i need? do i need a soldering iron or a butane torch?.ive drilled the coupling for the shaft and its a very tight fit so tight when i tapped it in with a rubber mallet it wont come out!!.i guess i dont have any other options now but to solder it as its in good and tight now
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
jdoug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how can i solder my coupling to shaft?

I use Loctite #648 on any of the joints that need soldering in my boats. There are a few other gas boaters that use it too. Some of the guys running modified 70cc engines in the larger boats use it and it does not let go. Clean the metals real good w/acetone or something, brush with a stainless steel brush. Add a few drops of loctite #648, put together and wait like 15 min. and you're good to go. It is hard to find and quite expensive, but a little goes a long ways.

If you need to seperate the two...just heat with torch and pull it apart.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
martno1fan

so what about my situation as this dam thing wont come off the shaft its so tight , i dont want to damage the shaft getting it off so can i use loctiite still to hold it or not.my thinking was using solder but like i said im clueless as to how to do it!!.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
jdoug

Not just regular Loctite...#648. It is green and runny like water. Since it is runny it might just wick down in there and hold it for good. If you can't find a way to get the shaft out now...you might just try and run it like that with a tight press fit. I'm not sure of your prop shaft or anything...but, if nothing other than no forward motion happens when this joint comes apart when running then you should be fine to test your press fit. If you're running along and all of sudden your boat stops but your engine is still running then you could probably guess it's the coupling.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:21 AM
martno1fan

that loctite stuff look real expensive !!,wouldnt silver solder do the job?.also if i test it as is couldnt i lose my shaft and prop?.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:41 AM
jdoug

Use plumbing solder, a lot of flux, and don't overheat. I don't know if you will lose your prop shaft. On my gas boat, if the coupling came apart I would not lose anything but drive to the prop. I would just have to go get my stranded boat. On my electric catamaran, if the coupling came apart, I would lose my prop, shaft, drive dog, washers. This has already happened to me. The solder does not like to wet to the steel shaft. The solder joint failed and I lost all the goodies that were on the prop shaft, including the prop shaft. I now have glued it in place with loctite 648, and hasn't let me down yet. Plus, it is so much easier than soldering these cables. I don't know if I was using the wrong flux but I couldn't seem to get the solder to flow and wet onto the flexshaft. I did have better luck with soldering the bigger flex cables (1/4"), but not so much the small ones. I learned about the loctite from guys here on RCU, and haven't done it another way since.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

You might be able to heat the coupling and pull the shaft out . Heating the coupling will expand it . Apply even pulling pressure on the shaft while heating the coupler . No need to get it red hot . If that doesn't work try getting something tubular just slightly larger than the shaft to slip over the shaft and gently drive the coupler off .
Old 02-24-2006, 12:59 PM
martno1fan

hey guess what i tried that mate and it wont budge so i guess this things on tight as can be!!,not sure i want it off now so im gonna try soldering the thing as best i can for extra security.also im going to put a small piece of silicone fuel tube over the shaft between the coupling and the ball race housing just in case it fails that way the shaft cant come out and get lost in the drink!!.thanks for all the help guys i think ill buy some solder and flux tomorrow,will a soldering iron do the job?.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
jdoug

No...soldering irons will not get the parts hot enough. A propane torch will do. Just remember that the solder is melted by the parts being soldered...not the flame or heat source. If you melt the solder with the flame and not the parts you will get what is called a cold solder joint and it will fail eventually because the solder won't wet to the metals.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:40 AM
martno1fan

thanks for the help guys itys soldered on so i can continue with the build now cheers[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98553.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	417880  
Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

I was just curious why you didn't simply re-thread ( tap ) the inside with the proper size tap ?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 AM
martno1fan

well i dont have any taps or dies and couldnt get hold of any anywhere so i decided to do it this way.it was such a tight fit i dont think the solder was nessesary but did it anyway!!if it fails ill get another coupling this time one that has grub screws !!