Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

fuel tank question

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

fuel tank question

Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
fishy2k8
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank question

i have a fuel tank just like this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU50&P=0 only 10oz. i have a question... it my boat i want to run a pressurzied tank... im not quite sure how to do that with this type of tank. this tank has a vent "bubble" type of thing on the top of the tank. on the instructions it shows bending one of the brass tube and putting the end "in the bubble" (are u following me?)

to run this take pressurized, do i use the vent too?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Cracker Box

Default RE: fuel tank question

The brass tube that you bend up into the bubble is the one that you hook your muffler or tuned pipe pressure tap to.

Derek
Old 02-26-2006, 08:34 PM
fishy2k8

ok.. thanks.. the rubber stopper has 4 holes... 1 for the screw in the middle, 1 for the fuel line to carb, 1 for the pressurization, and i guess the other one is for a tube to fill the tank with? if so, what kinda plug is supposed to be used? thanks so much
Old 02-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You only use 2 lines, the one for the vent that is what you use to run your pressure line to and the fuel pickup. Run the pick-up line to one of the corners near the opening if the opening is nearest to the engine. Most I run to the right corner for mono hulls and to the left for tunnel hulls and hydro's.
Be careful when bending the brass tubing as it can kink easily. Take your time.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:40 PM
fishy2k8

maybe pictues would help!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Ron Olson

The cap has 4 holes like you said but the rubber stopper only has 3, one for the screw and only 2 for the lines.
I really need to do a little article on plumbing up a fuel tank as it isn't that bad to do once you learn a few of the tricks. Bend both lines so that they are "J" shaped then put them in so that they are kind of like "JJ" as they'll go in easier. Rotate them into place once they're inside the tank. Pre-lube the brass tubing with WD-40 or something to make them easier to turn. Rebend to where the lines go where you want them. A bright light helps to see through the tank especially if you get the more rigid tank as it's harder to see through.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:10 PM
fishy2k8

would you mind posting some picks of a setup fuel system and maybe a close up of the connections ect? thanks this will help me and also other who have the same questions
Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I made a diagram for planes, perhaps it will help. For a boat setup, ignore the line that says "carb", it's not needed. Instead, the line that says "fill" should be bent to one corner as Ron said and then hooked to the carb. I also included a picture I took of a plane tank setup per the diagram. Just ignore the straight line, it's not needed for boats. Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the left picture of the stopper is as it should be in the tank. The right picture is how I twist the tubes to get them in the tank. Once the stopper is in the tank I twist the tubes to their proper position.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79411.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	416408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52141.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	416409  
Old 02-26-2006, 11:05 PM
fishy2k8

so i dont need the flex tube with the klunk for a boat?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've never run a clunk in a boat, although I've heard reports of a few people using them. Planes need them because they bank more when they turn, and sometimes they even fly upside down. The clunk moves around to provide fuel during all these orientations. When a boat is upside down, it's highly unlikely that you want the engine to stay running.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Ron Olson

I've felt that the clunk doesn't allow you to be able to pick up all of the fuel in the tank as it could leave up to an ounce or more in there that might be needed in race conditions.