Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Glow plug help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Glow plug help

Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 PM
johcap2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plug help

I have recently started playing with a Lap Cat II with a K & B 7.5 that I have had for years. The glow plugs I have are original glow plugs from about 15 years ago some of which have never been used. Im sure there are much better glow plugs on the market now and was wondering of anyone had any good suggestions of a better glow plug to use. Its for recreation so I am only using 25% nitro if that matters. Also I ran it this past weekend but it just didnt seem to be running as good as in the past. I seem to be having a problem with the correct mixture. It flat out screams right as it is running out of fuel and I made adjustments but still couldnt get it just right. Any suggestions on that as well?????? Any advise would be appreciated.
John
Old 02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Glow plug help

John, I ran the McCoy MC-9's and 59's in mine. The screaming may be a too lean condition. Try fattening the needle to see if that settles it down.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glow plug help

For your purposes, use the plugs you have. If you need more incentive, check out the cost of plugs today. I tend to disagree with Ron on this one. I think what you are experiencing is a common phenominum. The engine goes lean as it runs out of fuel so it will pick up RPM, especially if it's rich to start with. If the needle were set leaner, you would not notice the RPM increase so much because the change would be so minimal. Lean the needle until you notice the engine bogging down when you open the throttle. Also look at the plug and see if the coil is distorted or appears to be dry. Richen slightly from that setting. Acceleration should be smooth and continuous. No sputtering (rich) or sagging (lean) during acceleration.