Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

starter wont turn engine over!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

starter wont turn engine over!!

Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default starter wont turn engine over!!

hi im using a 61 size plane engine in my boat and i tried to turn the engine over to check everything,s inline etc but after attaching my electric starter to the v belt and turning it over the engine would not go past compression at all.the belt just slips!!any ideas?,is my starter not strong enough?the engine isnt brand new but has very good compression and it starts no problem with the plane prop on it and runs great!!.[img][/img]heres a picture of i,t this fly wheel was allready on the engine the belt fits it ok ,help!!!.i also tried doing it with the engine out of the boat too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17358.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	419804  
Old 03-04-2006, 04:31 AM
martno1fan

Default RE: starter wont turn engine over!!

hi well i tried loosening the glow plug and it just about turns over ,im not sure how fast it needs to turn over to start, it only just turns it will it be enough to start it?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That "flywheel " is pretty small and I'm using the word flywheel in it's loosest form. That is more of a prop spacer than anything. By not having a "V" groove in the pulley it's going to be harder for the belt to get a grip.
A standard starter will have problems turning over a good .61 without loosening the plug.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:41 AM
martno1fan

yea it is pretty small ron but it has got a groove in it and although only bevelled on one side i just filed the other side to match it .i think my battery was the problem im charging it up again .is there any way i could put a bigger flywheel on it or attach something to it!!.i turned it over a couple of times and it tried to start up but im thinking i needed more speed to get it to go !!.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Contact someone like Dave Marles at Prestwich Model Centre, he should be able to help you out.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not the flywheel for starting the engine. It's the standard crankshaft prop thrust spacer. The spacer is not intended to be used as a flywheel. You have to find a marine flywheel for that engine. Try someone like Octura for the correct flywheel; if one exists. The correct flywheel setup will have a split tapered collett that replaces that spacer and a flywheel that fits over the collett. That assembly will be held in place by the drive collett for the prop shaft. I'd suggest you pull the prop spacer off and measure the crankshaft diameter. There is a slim chance that someone in these forums may have a tapered collett and flywheel to fit. I have a few in my old hardware that are candidates.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:34 PM
martno1fan

the diamiter is 5/16 i know that because thats the size coupling i have on it !!id appreciate it if you could find one in your hardware id be glad to pay postage for it if you can!!.i just asumed with it having a groove in it you could use it as a flywheel ,none of my other engines have a spacer with a groove in them .any ideas how to get the spacer off its pretty tight!!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:43 PM
martno1fan

after looking at it closer the shaft apears to be 3/8 ths its a little thicker where the spacer is sorry about that the threads are 5 /16 for the coupling !!.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked my old hardware and can't find a flywheel collet larger than 1/4". I also looked at the Octura site and Marine Specialties. They don't list any flywheels at all. Probably because there is no call for them any more with all of the marine engines coming with the flywheel installed. Your only hope is if someone else has one or you may send an E Mail to Octura and see if they have any old stock still laying around. I know we got our flywheels from them way back when we only had airplane engines available to modify for boats.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:19 PM
martno1fan

well thanks for looking ive emailed dave marles at prestwich he has one for my engine so ill send for that.