Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

anyone attemp a mod like this?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

anyone attemp a mod like this?

Old 03-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone attemp a mod like this?

ok, i purchased a 47in hydro glass kit. i m going to try to mock it up for a SuperTigre 3000S 32 cc nitro ( which i will be moddeing the head to become water cooled by solering a tin shell around the head assembly and allowing for 2 input and exit ports for water flow. heres the major mod i am debateing...
HPI 3 speed tranny modded in after a clutch on the ST 3000s? considering a prop in water will produce SIGNIFICANTLY less torque than if the tranny were installed in a reg MT... i dont see a problem Toasting trannys due to excessive torque. additionally it will probably jump right thru first gear into 2nd, but this may not be bad as it could provide a JUMP off the line so to speak... do you think i ll gain any more speed here. i think this mod merrits a bit of chat and investigation. i also have a 40 in Deep Vee prather i was planning on useing a 2 speed HPI tranny to mock up and test the setup out on. if it works well here, then i will continue wiht the Modded Hydro with more confidence... anyone else ever try this, im sure i can not be the ONLY MAN to think of this.... I say Man cuz its testosterone that drives us MEN to put 3 speed car trannys in speed boats to get more FARF*****NG OUT factor here.
thanx for your thoughts,
Tim
Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 PM
oldlugs

Default RE: anyone attemp a mod like this?

My thought is that your boat may be a bit underpowered with that engine... Hydros that size usually run .67 engines, and plenty of nitromethane... A .32 that's not intended for marine use may not cut the mustard.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Timmahh
Banned

from what i ve seen on most hydros this size is a 23 or 26 cc Zenoha or Homilite gasser.... is there really that much differance in a 26 cc gasser and a 32 cc nitro motor?
Tim
Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
skymortar

i may be completely wrong but with these boats i think speed is the goal.with the transmission acceleration is your only benefit.i have never run hydros just deep v's,so i may be speaking out of turn.i just dont think acceleration is an issue
Old 03-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

I think what is trying to benefit here is kinda like in a car it can run better because it gets off the line guick then can go fast too, but in a boat if you take the prop and run it real fast without the boat moving it will just cavitate, im thinking maybe you can use a bigger prop now with this setup do to that fact, thus preventing cavitation off the line and have the torgue, but when the boats moving its easier to push thus allowing a higher gear ratio for more speed, Im seeing a possiblility of it making you able to run bigger props, but I dunno if the benefit would be worth it, IMO go for it man, no one has done this that i have seen and its things like this that change this hobby and make it grow all the time at such a high rate.
A .32 that's not intended for marine use may not cut the mustard.
as for that little comment, he said a 32cc not .32, thats like me saying my new t-maxx im getting is a 33cc, they arnt interchangable like that...im not saying there is anything wrong if you made a mistake typing it or never learned the difference from cc to cu. in.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
skymortar

but is your final drive going to be 1:1?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

One thing you also need to realize is an aircraft engine is normally only going to spin at 15K to 18K RPM, while a boat engine in the .67/11CC catagory will spin at over 20K. Also, the aircraft engene does this in air, not water. Even with a tranny, which are usually not able the handle the stress of driving a boat due to the prop jumping in and out of the water, I think you would be money ahead to stick with a marine engine. Also, a tranny is illegal for competition
Old 03-06-2006, 05:45 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive just modded my 61 cui plane engine thats 10 cc!! i just used a cooling coil i made myself ,im not sure how well plane engines work in boats but my thinking is a submerged drive set up is best for a modified plane engine as the prop is under the surface all the time ,i dont know how well it will work in a surface drive set up!!as some say plane engines dont have the same rpm numbers .i was advised to use mine as submerged drive,hers a pic of my coil and my engine set up in boat still under construction!!.[img][/img]ignore the cable ties these were temporary ive since soldered the coils together ,in my opinion this is the easyest way to cool the head and its easy to do!!.and cheap .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44298.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	421178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50523.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	421179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38992.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	421180  
Old 03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

As long as you are not looking for all out speed I see no problem with your plane engine in a boat martno1fan. Just don't forget a flywheel.

LAter,
Tim
Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 AM
oldlugs

ORIGINAL: Vertical3-D

...he said a 32cc not .32, thats like me saying my new t-maxx im getting is a 33cc, they arnt interchangable like that...im not saying there is anything wrong if you made a mistake typing it or never learned the difference from cc to cu. in.
You're right; my mistake. I was thinking a .32... 32cc should be plenty peppy!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:10 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey tim the spacer on it has a v groove on it and it starts ok !!but i have a slightly bigger pulley wheel im thinking of putting on it just in case!!when i tried to turn it over the 1st time it struggled till i loosened the plug a bit then charged up my battery which hasnt been charged since last spring!!its a motorbike battery and starts planes no probs but the boat engine was a struggle till i charged it up.