Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Anybody used a GPS to clock boat?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Anybody used a GPS to clock boat?

Old 03-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Nitro Kid
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody used a GPS to clock boat?

I have a Magellan Explorist 200 and don't know how to see the top speed if i were to use it in my boat.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Anybody used a GPS to clock boat?

I think that boaters have been using GPS's since they found out that they would fit in their boats. You need to have a good 300' run to get an accurate reading of the speed. Waterproof it by putting it in a bag and remove the lanyard if it has one. We have a member in here (I won't won't mention his name to save him any more embarrassment) that had the lanyard get sucked into the carb of his Zenoah.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Thompy

I would see a GPS being a great tool to use to clock the top speed, but what if your using a tunnel hull, hydro, or basicly anything besides a mono hull? If you stuff a GPS, even though light, they still will throw the balance of the boat off, correct? Just wondering because I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend Color that I use for hunting and was trying to figure out how in the heck I was gonna get this to work on a Hot Shot Sprint.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:22 PM
ob nut

I've got a Garmin, which has been used in a couple of my tunnels. If I got another one, it would be the Garmin Gecko. It's waterproof, small and only 3 oz+/-.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:50 PM
jrracer
My Feedback: (2)

i have the garmin etrex and i just waterproofed with a baby bottle bag and put a piece of a pool noodle for flotation and servo taped it to the servo box lid of my rigger and it worked fine for me.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Thompy

Its amazing how light these things are, but honestly. If you were to set it up to put it in a tunnel how would you keep it balanced? Or better yet, how did YOU guys keep it balanced?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:55 PM
griz11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle tree systems has a tiny gps unit for their dataloggers. They have dataloggers for boat car and plane.

Griz
Old 03-07-2006, 12:53 AM
ob nut

Believe mine is the Etrex, which is around 6oz. BTW, it's already waterproof. But to answer the CG question. Didn't really think of that. I just found an open spot for the unit and put it in. Only extra item I did was to put foam around it to lessen the shock from hitting waves and such. Still gives an estimate of the speeds the boat is getting. If you don't want to add weight, look into buying a radar gun.