Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

K&B 61 Water Cooled Engine HELP!!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B 61 Water Cooled Engine HELP!!!

Old 03-07-2006, 06:12 AM
matt407

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B 61 Water Cooled Engine HELP!!!

HI,

I have just purchased a nitro boat and it has a K&B 61 Water Cooled Engine, Which i cant seem to be able to find any info about!!! My main consern is everyone advises changing the bearings upon purchasing a second hand engine. I am unsure how to check if i do need newones so i want to replace them just to be sure. Does anyone know where i can purchase a set of bearings from?? and any extra info on this engine would be great.

another question K&B 61 Water Cooled Engine with tuned pipe, flat bottom monohull 51" weighes about 10pounds is supposed to hit 70mph++ is this bull??? i would be happy with 50mph

thanks guys

matt
Old 03-07-2006, 06:30 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: K&B 61 Water Cooled Engine HELP!!!

why change the bearings? does it run well?does it sound ok?if so id leave it be!!.if its got good compression and runs good it should be fine!!.i reckon that boat will do about 45 to 50 no way will it do 70 mph!!.do you have pics of it?where on ebay did you get it? ignore what the adds say about speed its all bull aimed at selling the thing!!.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:37 AM
matt407

there are the pics, I dont know yet as it hasnt arrived but i dont want to be waitng another 2weeks for the part i want to put straight in the water. what glow plug do you think this engine will run with a K&B .61 and rns on 30% apparentaly

thanks
matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16336.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	421811   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43237.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	421812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48108.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	421813  
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 AM
martno1fan

hi just did a search on this engine im not sure they make em anymore but they could be 30 to 40 yrs old so maybe the bearings will be gone maybe not!!if it were me id try it and see if you do need new bearings id forget it and change the engine for another!!.maybe someone else knows more about them and will help but you can try it out and see how she runs its not gonna hurt is it?.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:43 AM
matt407

God thats like 20 years older then me lol Yer i been looking a a .80 on ebay brand new if it goes for the right price i might buy it does anyne reckon it would handle an .80 or am i just wasteing money as i would have to buy a new prop and so on [&:]
Old 03-07-2006, 06:46 AM
martno1fan

matt what did they say about the boat when you bought it?ask em for some info on it it looks nice !!,if the engines been looked after i reckon the bearings should be ok id give it a try thats the only way you will know!!.as for glow plug not sure ask your local model shop on that one or try contacting dave marles at prestwich models.
www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk
hes a good guy and im sure he can help you out he mighht even be able to get the bearings you might need .
Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
matt407

Thanks i will give him a ring. Yer i guess i should just try it and see what happens. I take it if the bearings are gne it will make a horrible noise or something lol. If anyone else has got any info i would be very greatful. The guy says it runs great but i never 100% trust ebay [&:]

thanks

matt
Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
martno1fan

matt you sound like me (impatient lol), id reckon any 60 to 70 sized engine would be ok why change the prop and stuff?get an engine that fits lol.or how about trying a gas engine?b&q have some strimmers in for £69 24 cc engine im sure that would fit .but my advice is try an sc 61 engine they are good engines im converting mine from a plane to a boat they are quallity engines and cheap prestwhich models have em for 70 quid or so for a 61 marine engine.im told they are basically an os clone ,half the price but better engines !!.if its a racing engine you want have a look arround you can find good deals if you look.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 AM
martno1fan

matt i know some people have bad experiences of ebay but so far ive done ok ive bought 4 engines a plane and other stuff and they all were like new so i was happy!!yea give it a try mate and dont forget to get some pics!! or vids of it for us ill get some of mine when shes finnished[img][/img],bye the way if you know anyone wanting to buy a plane i got a good trainer for sale with engine and radio lol

Name:	Qn38341.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	421820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63275.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	421821  
Old 03-07-2006, 07:10 AM
IDM

Hey matt
If you are realey worried about your bearings try these guys,
they will have what you need.

http://www.bocabearings.com/

Regards
IDM
Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 AM
matt407

yes i am very inpatiant, I think i will have my fun if this engine works (fingers crossed) I will look into a nice new engine in about a month if this one is playign up with it being so old once something goes wrong thats it i supposed i can see many spare parts. I dont want to put a petrol engine in as the seem to go slower than the nitro ones because the weighe so much. and theres not alot of free board on this boat. Altho that does sound very cheap[&:] hmmmm maybe a new project........

thnks matt
Old 03-07-2006, 07:14 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Matt, REPLACE THE BEARINGS! Unless you can be sure the prior owner took really good care of the engine, don't even try to run it without doing this. The potential issue is if they are rusty or near failure you could end up with additional damage. In a case like this it's best to find out what the inside of the engine is like and make the necessary repairs first.

If you've got a local source, use them to get the new bearings and to help you disassemble and reassemble the engine. If not, there are some places in the US that should have the right bearings. Two that come to mind are: Race Craft Bearings http://www.racecraftbearings.com/ and Boca Bearings. The guy who runs Race Craft Bearings races boats so he knows what he's talking about. There are mixed reports about Boca, some have good luck and others report quick bearing failure.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 AM
matt407

thanks piper. martno1fan that is a sweeeeet boat, Yer when i get it running i will put some pics and i have got a GPS so i will get a real speed reading. i will contact those guys and buy some i would rather be safe than sorry. Is there anyone in the UK that does the bearing because you yanks dont like my debit card lol if not i will get me mate to buy them for me.

thanks again

matt
Old 03-07-2006, 07:22 AM
matt407

NOPE those guys dont have them i have emailed them but i am not holding any hopes. I think this engine is going on a suaside mission i will just run it until it blows up and then buy a new one. I mean even if they do have a set of bearings its like $50 and postage so say $60 for like another $40 i seen brand new engines go on ebay. well i will see what they say. I should have come on here and asked you guys before bying i reckon.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 AM
matt407

HEY martno1fan your only in blackpool when your boats goin let me know we can have a race or something if you want???? my email is [email protected] if you fancey it?? anyone else around chesire, liverpool, blackpool area up for some racing ???

Old 03-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Let's go bacik to square one. IF the boat could hit 70 MPH or whatever that is in KPH, it would be more than a handful to drive, even on glass-smooth water.
To check the bearings, turn the engine over by hand to see if you feel any "grittiness" or what feels like sand in the bearings.
As far as a glow plug, I'd be trying the McCoy MC-9's.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:41 AM
matt407

Thanks ron i will try that when i get it.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

Have you gone to the K&B web sight ?? I know they make a .61 Aircraft . They also make a .40 Aircraft , and made a 7.5 < .40 > marine. You might wanr to compair notes from the two 40's to see how close they are. You can download parts breakdowns for just about any engine they make.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:02 AM
martno1fan

hey matt ill gladly give you a race if your bearings are shot ,if not i doubt mine would be a match in speed lol!!do as ron said turn it overand see how it feels and sounds also you can have a look inside ,take the backplate off and look inside see if theres any rust in there?.you can see the bearings on mine by removing the backplate so i guess youres will be similar!!.this is my 1st boat matt im changing from planes to boats ,less stress lol im gonna sell all my plane gear to pay for future boats .if you know anyone who wants one i have a good trainer with radio gear engine etc! it was repaired after a slight crash lol and its now better than it was when i 1st built it looks better too[img][/img].couldnt resist the sales pitch lol forgive me fellow boaters!!.

Name:	Wu60516.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	421950  
Old 03-07-2006, 10:04 AM
martno1fan

hey ron if it hits 70 mph thats about 100 kph !!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 AM
matt407

aaaaa we have more in comman this is my first nitro boat, As i normal race sailing boats as i am a keen sailor myself. well its due any day now so i will let you know how they r.

thanks again

matt
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Ron Olson

I've been slowly learning (actually cheating) at learning the conversion from MPH to KPH. I just run outside and look at the speedometer of either of my trucks as they both have MPH and KPH on the guages. My SUV has a temp guage to I can convert fahrenheit to celcius if you want to talk about the weather!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 AM
matt407

lol,

does anyone know whats the best value for money 30% nitro fuel around???? i imagine a .61 is goin to drink it !!!!! can you just use normal buggy fuel or do the marine engines use a different mount of oil in them???

cheers matt
Old 03-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Ron Olson

No idea of what fuels you can get on that side of the Big Pond but I hear that it's not cheap. Try to find some with 18-20% oil content. Usually car and plane fuel have lower amounts of oil.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM
matt407

oh great more high fuel prices lol i am already paying £0.95 per liter for diesel.

cheers ron i will go to the hobby shop and order some they said car mix would do but i am glad i checked with you guys saved my sueside engine to run another day lol.

cheers again

matt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.