Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

dumas millar american 1/8 scale hydro

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

dumas millar american 1/8 scale hydro

Old 03-12-2006, 06:45 AM
blueboy2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumas millar american 1/8 scale hydro

Hi I am building a millar american hydro and would like some advice on alternative hardware for the hydro than the bog standard dumas kit can anyone help?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:35 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: dumas millar american 1/8 scale hydro

I get most of my boat hardware from one of 3 places, directly from Speedmaster http://www.rossisales.com/ , Maston's http://www.mastonsrcmarine.com/ (for gas boats), or Rocket City http://www.rocketcityracing.com/ .
Old 03-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

HJ will probavbly chime in but right now be forewarned that the last that I knew, Bill McGraw at Speedmaster/Rossi Sales was in the hospital with emphysemia. Some of his dealers still have hardware in stock.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:53 PM
xtremarine

hi Ron ,Im setting up a Sport 40 class Hydro what is the legal hardware (NAMBA) I see you have a sport 40 can you email me a picture of the hardware so I can see how I need to set up my Dumas u-1 I would appreciate it thanks Gene
Old 03-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Ron Olson

I don't know what the NAMBA rules are off-hand. They have 2 different classes, Sport 40 and Sport 40 II.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:34 PM
xtremarine

whats the difference in the to and you thing I could use my Dumas in either class or is the Sprot 40 2 a different type of boat..

bear with me im a newbie
Old 03-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Ron Olson

You'd probably have to go to the NAMBA website to find out the differences between the 2 classes, www.namba.com . In the IMPBA we have to keep the strut under the transom and a few other rules but that's the main one. I can't find my rule book right now. My wife and son did some housecleaning while I was in the hospital and now I'm having problems finding anything.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:55 PM
xtremarine

great thanks..
hope your feeling better
Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Ron Olson

You're welcome.
Yeah, kind of......
Old 03-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Ron, how did you know?
Blueboy, good call on NOT using Dumas hardware. I'm assuming you have already started construction of your boat, so replacing the framing isn't probably an option. Dumas boats are notoriously heavy, so you will need to lighten it up. You can do this by cutting lightening holes in all the internal framing. I'll post a picture so you can see what I'm refering to. Next, ignore the Dumas aft radio box location and put your radio gear under the cockpit. I would also put the fuel tank under the deck on the right side of the engine. Just remember to have a way to get to it. The advantages of the radio in front and the right side fuel tank are ease of installation of the throttle pushrod(you won't have to bend it around the engine to get to the carb), while the fuel tank will help hold the skid fin down without affecting hull balance as much. Using the Dumas layout, the boat balance changes as the fuel is burned off, making the boat more and more tail heavy(Can we say blow-over?), which is never a good thing.
xtremarine, all the above goes for yor boat as well. I've built the Dumas 36" Atlas, only to find the hull EMPTY weighs more than many 1/8th scale hulls/ Another thing you will need to do is WIDEN THE TUNNEL. This hull tends to roll easily, so an extra inch between the sponsons will help it considerably. I learned that the hard way, after showing my boat to a long time racer who had tried to race this very hull, unsuccessfully I might add. Just a word of warning
Old 03-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay you two Dumas builders, if you look at the right side of this hull, you can see how I removed a large amount of material from all the frames(except around the fuel tank bay). All told, I lightened the framing by over a pound. Since my boat is primarily 1/16th ply, the weight savings isn't nearly as much as on your Dumas boat's 1/8th ply framing. Also, notice the 1/4 and 1/8th square glue blocks running along all the butt joints. These are mandatory, as an unsupported butt joint will fail from the vibration and pounding the hull will be subjected to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83810.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	424837  
Old 03-12-2006, 03:47 PM
xtremarine

cool thanks for the info Ron/Junkie aspecialy about the widening. Im using the atlas as a core to make a mold and I want to make my hull which Ill race out of Kevlar.. Im not new to R/C boating (Im a mono guy) but I fell in love with these Hydros and Im so hooked but unfortagly their rigged and run totally different than a Mono. so I quess I am still a newbie then Have to learn it all over.. so Im searching for all kinds of info and think I found the rite place you guys sound very knowlegable
Thanks
Gene