Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

will my motor make it go?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

will my motor make it go?

Old 03-15-2006, 11:22 PM
JohnandTammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will my motor make it go?

In just a couple days Tammy and I should be getting our first kit. We are both tottally unexperienced in R.C..

I have a old motor that came out of a plane that was turned into toothpicks when it hit the side of a building, what I was wondering is how to identify what size of an motor it is. and what kind. and if I can make an Air boat and use the motor. I stopped at the local hobby store and the guy behind the counter said it would not work and I had too use a special motor & prop. That does not sound right too me. or is it.. thanks,
john
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 PM
kartfreak23

Default RE: will my motor make it go?

the air boats that my buddy has all have plane engines and props in them and they go pretty good as long as the engine runs. hope that helps man
Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 AM
kartfreak23

no problem dude hope it works too.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:25 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Most motors will have the mfgr name and size on it. If not, post some pics, that will help greatly. The airboats I've seen have used only plane motors. Sounds like the hobby store person is just trying to sell you what they stock.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:00 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i were you i would never set foot in that shop again,sounds like he was trying to take advantage of you mate.air boats use plane engines thats why they,re called air boats!!.it could not be easyer to do either once you find out what size engine it is then you can decide what size boat to put it on.if it was a large trainer plane say 60" wingspan it most probably a 40 to 46 size engine which would be ideal for an airboat say between 26 and 30 inches long and about 16 to 18 wide.i have a 46 in mine[img][/img]it took me all of two days to make too.my advice is take a look on the airboat forum and ask a few questions on there mate.all you need to build a hull is some foam ,any will do i used insulation foam 3 inches thick and you can cover it with epoxy and away you go but if you want to run on land id use some cloth underneath at least or as i did a sheet of coroplast!!.use slow set epoxy and warm it before you spread it on using an old credit card.make sure you put your servos and receiver etc in a good water proof box ask how i know[&o]!!.also try posting a pic of your engine maybe we can identify it for you but it should say something on it for example OS 40 or watever!!.you may notice in one pic i mounted my servos on the engine mount!! not a good idea cos when it flips and it will they are ruined.i even suposedly water proofed mine but it didnt work lol[:@]. put em in the water proof box !!.that way if it flips all you need to do is retrieve it and dis connect the fuel line and get the electric starter and open your throttle up and turn engine over and stand clear cos all the water will come spewing out ,then connect your glow starter and start her up and she will be fine!!.the water wont harm the engine as long as you do this as all the moisture will burn off when it fires up!!.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34490.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	427013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64027.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	427014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83841.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	427015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96240.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	427016   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76408.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	427017  
Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On this one I agree with the majority. The hobby shop employee obviously doesn't know a thing about the subject. I'd go in there one more time to tell them to stick to selling plastic toys. The engine you have will have two identifiers on the side of the crankcase. One will be a number like 25, 40, 46, 60 etc. That designates the displacement in cubic inches. The decimal point is typically not there for convenience. A 40 is .40 cu. inches displacement. Or you can pull the head and measure the cylinder bore and the length of the stroke and calculate the displacement. The other identifier is the manufacturers logo. OS, for OS Max, TT for Thunder Tiger, S for Super Tiger etc. The airboat kit will recommend an engine size and prop. If the prop is not designated, use the same size prop as you would on an airplane with that engine. Did you recover the prop from the side of the building or is it still there on the ground?

Just checked Ace Hobbies web site. The Thunder Tiger has an airplane inside of a circle as the logo. I'm relatively sure the other logos are correct.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Seeing how you tried to fly through a building, check the crank to see if it is bent before going any further. I got to be really good at augering planes into the ground and have bent a few in my time.
No special prop is needed, just avoid using a wood prop.