Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

outrigger engine dies in water

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

outrigger engine dies in water

Old 03-15-2006, 11:31 PM
kartfreak23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outrigger engine dies in water

hey guys i just put together my old dumas outrigger i bought off rcuniverse. i bought a Mac tuned pipe and a XTM 24.7 pro engine (car engine) for it and installed it. starts right up and seems to have lots of power and torque considering i have the same one in my car. anyway went to the pond and stared it, put it in the water and it died. i didnt have the throttle set to very high just a bit over idle. can anyone please help me.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:35 PM
kartfreak23

Default RE: outrigger engine dies in water

check out my gallery for pics of the rigger. thanks guys
Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 PM
jrracer
My Feedback: (2)

try taking off the air filter and neck time get it reved up before throwing it in (and have someone els throw it in)
Old 03-15-2006, 11:53 PM
jrracer

next time
Old 03-16-2006, 12:04 AM
kartfreak23

thanks man there is no airfilter on it but there is the plastic neck, ill take it off,I hope it works.Also how fast you think itll go.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:09 AM
jrracer

what size engine? and prop
Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 AM
kartfreak23

its a XTM car engine 24.7 its got 31,000 RPM and about 2.4 HP not sure on the prop but its a 2 blade and sharpened and balanced
Old 03-16-2006, 12:18 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

How do you put in the water? Riggers need a good forward toss to help them get on plane. A bit of throttle helps out also.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:21 AM
kartfreak23

all we did was place in the water and applied throttle and it died. so as we throw it give it a push and more throttle. sweet thanks. do you know how fast it would go with this set up. take a look at my gallery for the pics. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 AM
ob nut

I did look at the pics. Can't even guess as to how fast it'll go. Get the rev's up (not full open) and give it a gentle forward toss into the water.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:32 AM
kartfreak23

thanks for all the help mark. if it doesnt rain i want to go and try it on sunday. thanks again everyone
Old 03-16-2006, 03:21 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess is not enough revs, a boat needs more revs than a car to start with.you cant idle a boat unless you have a clutch!!.like others have said open the throttle a bit before tossing it in and for safety get someone else to do the tossing or you could end up in trouble!!!theres a big difference running the engine in fresh air ( no resistance) to in water( big resistance lol).
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're all wrong with the exception of giving the boat a light toss to get it on plane. It sounds like you tuned the high speed needle valve with the boat at home and out of the water. That is a definate NO NO. You can't adjust the mixture on a boat without a load on the prop. That means you have to do it in the water. Start out with the high speed needle 2 - 3 turns open and launch the boat. If it runs with a lot of exhaust smoke and accelerates slowly with a lot of hesitation, it's rich. Turn the needle in 1/8 of a turn and try again. If it dies when you open the throttle, it's to lean. That is your current condition. Open the needle 1/8 turn and try again. Continue trial and error trimming until the engine responds to the throttle without hesitation, saging or quiting. Never ever try to adjust the high speed needle out of the water unless you have a spare engine to replace the one you just blew up.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:33 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

I currently have three boats with buggy engines in them . From what I have experienced ... they need a little more of a toss , than a marine engine does ( not enough torque I believe ) . Also , as with any boat .... the correct prop is very important as well . too much and it will die , too little and it will just sit and cavitate ( not go anywhere - FAST )
Try and take a pic or two of the prop you are using and post here . One of the guru's here should be able to recognize it and let you know if its a good one to use or not .
Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Come on guys, you missed a big one. The fuel tank belongs in the front of the boat, not the back. These boats are made to run with as much weight forward as possible. Fuel weighs a lot more than radio gear, especially with the size of tank that you have in there.
If you don't know what prop you have, you may have one that's too large for the engine to handle.
Rev the boat up and give it a toss parallel to the water, just a nice little underhanded throw should do it.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Loose the wing as well. You want as little weight as possible in the rear of the boat. That wing assembly is just extra weight that does nothing for you. One more thing, a car engine DOES NOT have a lot of torque when compaired to a boat engine. I'm guessing that boat was designed for a .45, so you're probably not going to get a lot of speed with this set up. That 31K your engine is rated at isn't going to happen in a boat
Old 03-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Ron Olson

That's an old Dumas Quickee 40. The strangest incarnation that I've seen of it was in RCBM where a guy had mounted 3 K&B 3.5 OB's on it, one on each sponson and the other on the transom. When he finally got it running, it has a serious case of propwalk! It never made a lap but was interesting in what little time that it ran.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Come on guys, you missed a big one. The fuel tank belongs in the front of the boat, not the back. These boats are made to run with as much weight forward as possible. Fuel weighs a lot more than radio gear, especially with the size of tank that you have in there.
If you don't know what prop you have, you may have one that's too large for the engine to handle.
Rev the boat up and give it a toss parallel to the water, just a nice little underhanded throw should do it.
I stand by my observation that the engine is to lean. Do all of the above but also set the needle properly. The tank location will make the rear squat but with pipe pressure, there should still be enough fuel flow to the engine to get a good needle setting. If you 've ever done the dumb thing of leaving the fuel line off the carb after filling the tank and then tried to start the engine, you have seen how much pressure is available.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:29 PM
kartfreak23

thanks for all the replies guys. ill lose the wing, and the tank is in front of the engine under the black painted hatch (check the pics in my gallery). also i didnt tune it with tthe prop in the water which is what i should do.anything else i missed from all your replies please let me know. thanks again to everyone, you were a much bigger help than the hobby shop.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Stupid question but do you have a flywheel mounted on the engine?

LAter,
Tim
Old 03-16-2006, 07:42 PM
kartfreak23

no i dont, the flex shaft is connected directly to the engine shaft.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That could also be part of the problem. The flywheel is needed to give the engine some inertia to keep the thing running. On a aircraft, the prop does this, but on a boat, it's the flywheel
Old 03-16-2006, 09:10 PM
kartfreak23

thanks dude ill put one on it. i started it in a huge tub of water today and gave it some throttle and it actually stayed running so im going to go to the pond sunday and try her out. to retreive the rigger if it gets stuck in the middle of the pond, should i use a fishing pole with a tennis ball or whatever other ideas you guys moight have. thanks again everyone
Old 03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Ron Olson

The fishing pole or just a reel with a tennis ball is better than nothing but keep in mind that you don't want to let the boat get any further away than what you can toss the ball. I use a top-water lure because I have some from my tournament fishing days. I also take along a 2 or 3-man inflatable boat (I have both). They're cheap as I've gotten them with the oars on sale for under $30.00 . A pump will cost you as low as $7.00 for one that runs off 12 volts.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:31 PM
kartfreak23

thanks man, i have heavy duty reelys and jigs for deep sea fishing. are the lures better than the ball.