Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

my 1st nitro boat (what should i get?)

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

my 1st nitro boat (what should i get?)

Old 03-17-2006, 11:25 PM
nitro_redneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1st nitro boat (what should i get?)

ok i am pretty well rounded and know a lot about nitro rc cars but i am going to get into nitro boats ok so i have 4 cars and the villian ex electic boat from traxxas so i have the experience of rc boating but not with nitro what would be a kinda cheap 1st boat that i should get the villian ex is not fast enough for me and i want something faster please help me i have no ideas about this the only nitro boat i know is the nitro vee and its only a couple mph's faster than the villian ex.

thanks,

NICK
Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 PM
oldlugs

Default RE: my 1st nitro boat (what should i get?)

I'm more or less just getting back into R/C boats after 15 years or so, and I'm starting with an "A mono" inboard. These are .21 engine powered mono (vee) hulls, and capable of 50mph or so in race trim. A bit less expensive (but not much) than "B mono", which uses .45 size engines. I think they're a good choice for someone wanting more than a toy, but not wanting to dump in the big $...
Old 03-18-2006, 04:07 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it depends what your looking for?if you like building try building a deep v mono you can even use a buggy engine in it heres mine!!it has a marinised plane engine but if you build it say 26 inches a 21 size buggy engine would make this boat fly!!.[img][/img]if you fancy building it i have the plans i can send you and its an easy build!!.i hav a thread on here of the build take a look (new mono scratch build).with this hull a buggy engine will get enough air flow to not need water cooling!!.good luck mate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49200.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	428254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30462.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	428255  
Old 03-18-2006, 06:48 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Are you looking for something to throw in a local pond and run around in circles, or perhaps something you can race with? If you're thinking of racing, there are several clubs up your way, and the first race of the season will be held in a couple weeks. Go to the IMPBA district 12 web site: http://www.impba12.com/ for more info. Talking with some of the club members, and perhaps visiting the race would be a good way to see some of the different boats in action. I'm with the other guys that a mono is a ood choice for starting out. Note that the lettering system is different between organizations. B mono in IMPBA matches A mono in NAMBA (.20 size). If you just stick with the numbers, 20, 40, 60, etc, you can avoid confusion while you're learning the classes.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:32 PM
oldlugs

Yep; I'm speaking of A & B monos in NAMBA speak. They're the organization I was a member of 15 years ago, and will probably join again very soon. Either races both .21 & .45 size (and larger) monos, with the rules being very similar. I think it's nice to build a boat to either organizations racing specs, so you have a "class" boat you can race or play with. What I mean is, I think it's more fun to just "play" with other boaters while running the same spec. equipment they're running/racing with. I'd recommend either .21 or .45 mono to start with. They're both quite fast when set up properly. If you want to save a few $, you can run lower nitro fuel (like 30%), a slightly smaller prop and longer pipe. Make a few mods and up the nitro (50%-60%), and your boat can be in race trim.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 AM
nitro_redneck

ok here is the dealeo i want it already bult, fast , not too expencive and i am not facin just somethink i can put in the bay every weekend
Old 03-19-2006, 12:54 AM
nitro_redneck

i also what a deep vee
Old 03-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The usual choices are the Aquacraft Nitro Hammer and the CEN Racing Aqua Jet. There is plenty of info on both in here, all you have to do is do a search.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:20 PM
nitro_redneck

yea i like the nitro hammer not too expencive and i read about 3 different reviews for this boat red the manual and now i have anouther question

how fast will it go
Old 03-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Ron Olson

Realistically, just under 30 from what I've seen. A lot of other companies say that their RTR boats will go so many MPH but most in the real world can't hit those speeds going down a greased mineshaft. 30 doesn't sound that fast but isn't bad for most boats. A Miss Bud out of the box will only do 27 MPH on a good day and I doubt if an Aqua Jet will do much over 25 either. Most people eyeball their boats and guesstimate the speeds. We see this all the time on eBay.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:17 PM
nitro_redneck

thanks ron u know ur stuff im gonanh go with the nitro hammer
Old 03-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What hasn't been said here is "Speed and Inexpensive" are not terms that go together. You get speed with money. The RTR stuff that is out there does not come with speed. A good hull, either built by you or fiberglass, plus an engine that will get you in the low to mid 40's will cost about $500 by the time you put it in the water. And if you're new to this game, you don't have a prayer of getting the boat running correctly without experienced help. That is why Ron is suggesting you seek out a club in your area.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
cool guy megge

try a proboat shokwave 36 they are RTR and can go 35mph right out of the box
Old 03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
nitro_redneck

yea right now i have 150 easter and my b day are coming up and depending on how much money i have i'll get either the shockwave or the nhammer

John, i think ill be ok with the boats cus i run nitro cars and i know how to tune but are u talking about something else i need to know about
Old 03-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd stick with the Nitro Hammer. Pro Boat products tend to need a lot of work to get them to run right. They also have been notorious for having radio box problems.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Square Nozzle

Is that going down Ron's greased mine shaft? Probably an advertised speed by the manufacturer.
ORIGINAL: cool guy megge

Old 03-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Ron Olson

ProBoat seems to think that all of their boats will go 35 MPH out of the box. Don't believe me? Look at their ads. The little Miss Bud is advertised as being able to hit 35 yet one of the designers himself, Jerry Dunlap could get only 27 out of his. Speeds do appear to be much faster on the water than on land.
Things in advertising were getting a little (to put it mildly) out of hand for a while that Air Age/Radio Control Car Action finally stepped in and quit letting them claim outrageous numbers by manufacturers.

Every RTR boat has issues, some with only very minor tweaks to get them into shape and others with more serious problems. Give one of those boats to one of the old pro's in here and they could whip one into shape in an hour or so, at least a lot better than when they were first pulled out of the box. It's all in knowing what to look at and how to fix it, things that we can teach you in no time. After a while, you'll develop an eye for such things.
If I were to buy something in the neighborhood of what you're looking for but slightly more expensive, I'd be seriously be looking at the Mean Machine 18 that is supposed to be out now from Aeromarine. At $379.00 it sounds a little pricy but if it's anything like the pre-production versions that I've seen, the quality is really there. No cheap hardware, a radio box that won't leak, auto-bailers already installed and nicely done 'glas work. They're going to be showing the other companies how to build a Ready To Run boat. If it were me though, I wouldn't have bothered with the .18 and just dropped a nice .21 in there.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:20 PM
nitro_redneck

what about the cen grey thunder
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Ron Olson

Had one that I did a review on for another website before getting the Mod job here.
The hull is fuel-resistant, not fuelproof so any spills have to be cleaned up immediately. The radio gear is exposed to the elements as there is no radio box. Steerable outdrive can make steering interesting at times. Small fuel tank makes for short run times but an easy fix with a Sullivan 4 oz. tank. The engine runs rough until it's broken in but once it's had a few tankfuls run through it, it'll usually start on the first or second pull. The stock prop, well, sucks. Nice roostertail but no speed. An Octura X-637 works nicely on it.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
nitro_redneck

ok ill get the nitro hammer
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 AM
martno1fan

why dont you just build a nice small wild thing? and as ron said put a nice 21 in it for the money youd pay for a cheap rtr boat that runs crap !! youd be able to have a great running boat.spend the money on the engine and hardware and build your own boat would be my advice!!.ive just built a nice boat and it didnt cost me the earth i even used a plane engine in it modified with a water cooling coil.might not be as good as a marine engine but its a 61 size and didnt cost me anything as i allready had it lying arround.im sure it will go better than the hammer or any of the other rtr boats your talking about.this boat was a bit of an experiment but for my next one ill be spending a bit more on it!.but im hoping for 35 to 40 from this one !!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 PM
NJ NETS FAN
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: John Palica

Is that going down Ron's greased mine shaft? Probably an advertised speed by the manufacturer.
ORIGINAL: cool guy megge

Well proboat didn't really lie about the shockwave 36 doing 35 mph. Back in the fall when I ran my boat, I put my handheld gps onboard to see what it could do. It topped out at like 33.5mph and there was a little wind in the air so if you had "ideal" conditions and a long spot to run the boat might hit 35mph as stated by proboat. The Shockwave was my first nitro boat and it was the first nitro thing I ever owned. The only problem I had was the flex shaft breaking but I replaced it with a prather one and I haven't had a problem. I looked at the nitro hammer and that thing is just too small and slow. The proboat is probably atleast 5 mph faster than the nitro hammer. I'm currently thinking about getting a new nitro boat. I want something that can do over 40mph and around 500 dollars. Think it's possible?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Square Nozzle

It is possible to get 40+ mph out of a boat with a $500 budget? With a competition quality engine like a CMB, Mac or Nova Rossi in the .21 cu. in. size. The engine alone will cost you about $350 (My guess. My MAC 21 cost me $325 3 years ago). If you are a builder rather than an assembler, you can build the hull for about $50. Then add in all of the required peripherals like a header, tuned pipe, strut , rudder, flex shaft, plumbing, fuel tank, epoxy, paint, etc. etc. etc. you can probably stay under $500. With little effort, you can make the rudder and strut and flex shaft saving more money. Assemblers on the other hand will lay out about $200 for the hull and still need all the extras to get the boat water ready. My Wild Thing, right off the bench was radared at 47 MPH with no trimming or prop experimentation. I believe the potential is there for a 50 MPH straight away run.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 AM
martno1fan

any tips on making your own flex shaft and rudder strut etc john id like to know how its done?.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Square Nozzle

Rudders I have made in the past were simply a piece of sheet steel, cut to length , width and shape and low temp brazed to a 1/8" diameter length of piano wireor drill rod. The leading edge of the rudder is sharpened and the trailing edge is left square. Use a simple model airplane nose wheel steering arm on the shaft for turning the rudder. If you want to get fancy, you can either inset the shaft into a slot or cut out in the leading edge above the water line or slot the shaft to accept the blade. I make the transom mount out of aluminum channel stock laid on it's side and drill through the legs. Bush with oil-lite bushings if you choose

The strut is as simple. A piece of sheet stock for the strut with a piece of round stock low temp brazed to the strut to carry the prop and shaft. If you have access to a lathe you can bore the ID to take a brass sleeve bearing to hold the stub on the flex shaft. Mount to the transom using angle aluminum available from any good hardware store.

I've made flex shafts out of commercially available flex cable and the appropriate size stub shaft, out of drill rod. Thread the end of the drill rod with a machinests die and butt the other end of the drill rod to the flex cable, sleeve the junction with a hard brass tube and silver solder. Make sure all parts are oil/grease free before soldering and the silver solder will flow in and fill the joint. You'll have to devise some jigging to be sure the joint is straight. I have used this scheme for many of my .21 powered hydros and even in my 1/8 scale hydro. Over time the joint at the flex to stub will start to twist with larger engines, so you will have to replace the brass sleeve. A steel sleeve will provide more strength but will be more of a challange to find in thin wall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.