Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

k&b 3.5 outboard help

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

k&b 3.5 outboard help

Old 03-18-2006, 04:57 PM
steve22222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&b 3.5 outboard help

I need basic step by step instructions on how to start K&B 3.5 outboard.

thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 05:14 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: k&b 3.5 outboard help

Might be a bit more than what you expected, but some words I passed on to a gent running a 7.5 tunnel.

Typical day: First off, make sure the batteries are in good condition: aka charged. That's where the expanded volt meter / monitor comes into play. I use ni-cads and charge them up before heading out for the day. Also carry a 12v charger to charge them up. Make sure the radio box is dry. Seal the lid with radio box tape completely. If others are running, check with them on what channel they are using. There may be a frequency clip board near by that people are using. If one is there, grab your channel clip. When you know it's safe to turn on, turn the tx on first, then the rx. Do a radio range check. Leave the tx attenna down and walk away. Should be able to get 30+ feet away before there's no movement. Easiest way is to check steering, can't see throttle movement from a distance. BTW: can't recall the last time I did a radio check from a distance. Just something to know. Make sure the motor can swivel when doing the test. I do make sure that the throttle and steering move in the correct direction. Time to fuel up. Remove the fuel line at the filter and fill up on the tank side line. Don't want to put the junk on the motor side of the filter. Put the cowl on the boat. Pregrease the cable in the lower unit.

Starter needs for outboards.. Outboard motors turn the oposite direction as the inboards. If the starter you get has banana plugs on it, you will most likely have to reverse the plugs.. AKA: put the neg in the pos and the pos in the neg slots.. I just switch mine around. Make sure the motor will start correctly. Motor should start in a clockwise motion. Turn the flywheel over by hand to double check. At some point, you won't do this, it'll become second nature. When you know it's right, turn the motor over a sec or two to get the fuel into the carb. Now put the glow driver on the plug. If using the power panel and a non battery powered driver, the setting should be around 3 amps. If this does not register, most likely a bad plug. Take it out of the motor and test. If using the battery powered driver and it won't start the motor, place it on an extra plug to see if the plug glows red. Ok, make sure the starter is firmly on the flywheel. Fire it up... If there is another person there, have them pick the boat up and place into the water, make sure it's deep enough. Tunnels don't need to be tossed in as riggers / hydros do. If have to toss the boat in by yourself, always be aware of where the prop is in relation to yourself and anyone else. Before you toss the boat out, make sure the tx attenna is fully up. Bad things happen quickly when it's left down. Tunnels like to turn right. They do turn left, but more chances to roll the boat. Always run the boat in a safe manner.

While running and the boat flips in the air, throw the trigger to the brake side. Hopefully it'll shut the motor off before it hits water. Back on shore, take the plug out, place a rag (no paper towels) over the plug hole. Use the starter and blow the water out of the motor. Tip the boat up to allow any water to flow out of the pipe. Check to see if any water found it's way into the radio box. If yes, then take the lid off and get the water out. Your day "might" be over if this is the case. Your servos and reciever have been coated with CRC 2-26, so they are somewhat protected from mositure issues..

Running: Boat is slow and is dragging in the water. Motor is too deep. Boat is squirely, motor too shallow. Boat runs nose high, too much + angle on the motor. Boat runs nose low, too much - angle on the motor. Try different props for handleing and speed...
Old 03-18-2006, 05:54 PM
steve22222

great advice. I haver a hobbico starter - any idea what size ring to use ? The one I have does not fit and always comes flying off. Also, how do you get nitro into the carb with the engine not running. I have a sullivan 8 oz tank that is presurized from the exhaust. when I try and start, no fuel is getting to the carb.

thanks again
Old 03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Usually the yellow or white insert will work.
If you're not getting any fuel to the carb it could be a lot of things from improperly set up fuel lines in the tank to leaks not letting it send any fuel as it should pump fuel to the carb with no trouble. Try putting a couple of drops down the carb to see if that helps. Make sure that there is enough of an opening in the carb to where you could slip in the tip of a toothpick, not literally but you get the idea.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:44 PM
ob nut

To pressure test the tank, plug off one end and blow in the other with your mouth. The tank should expand and hold the air. If not, then the line(s) has holes, the tank plug is not sealing correctly or the tank has a hole/rip. As Ron stated, the carb should be open slightly for idle. The tank pressure will provide enough to push fuel into the carb. If everything was checked, could be the pickup line within the tank. Are you using brass tubes or the clunk setup? If the clunk, dump it. The pickup tube should be bent in a way to be placed in the lower left rear corner of the tank. About 1/8" of the bottom/sides. The vent tube should be bent into the bubble on most tanks. Another item could be the fuel filter. Clogged? Sealed? Get the Sullivan #187 double screen, it's clear so one can see if there is garbage blocking the screen. Where is the tank in relation to the carb? Might need a hopper tank to help. Also, where is the needle? About 3 1/2 turns out is the starting spot to fire up a K&B 3.5....

Hope something here helps. If not, come back....
Old 03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
skoda450

Steve, All the posted advice is very good but maybe you are missing some basics. Make sure that your starter is turning the motor in the proper direction. If you are in doubt about what that should be, turn the engine by hand and watch the prop. The prop should turn counter-clock-wise when looking from the rear of the boat. Make sure your starter turns it in that direction. Make sure that the fuel line to the carb comes from the feed of the tank not the overflow/vent. Make sure that the needle is open 3 1/2 turns. Choke (place a finger over the carb air intake) and spin the motor with the starter for 1 second only. If fuel comes to the carb then you are ready to go. If not, the supply is blocked somewhere. Could be anywhere from the pick-up in the tank to the spray bar in the carb. Check it all. Put a glow plug battery on it, open the throttle about 1/4 and spin it with the starter. It should come to life with a scream. If you have trouble keeping it running in the water, the hopper tank may be needed. I have one and it will not run a lap without the 2 oz hopper tank on top of the big tank in the bottom of the boat.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
steve22222

in reply to all. Thanks for your help. The problem was in the gas tank. I corrected it ane the engine started on the first try.

Thanks again