Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Servos....

Old 03-19-2006, 12:17 PM
jmcrooky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos....

Iam new to this sport and was wondering, My thottle servo sticks and I would like to change it out. It is a Hitec but it has no numbers on it. Probablly a cheap one. What should I look for when putting a new one in? Does it have to be the same as the servo for the steering? What would be a good low price one? My boat is the nitro Dolphin with the .15 engine. Thank for any info....jmcrooky[8D][8D]
Old 03-19-2006, 01:02 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Servos....

JM,
Before swapping servos make sure the linkage isn't the problem. If it isn't, then I think I'd try to stay fairly close to the same size of servo, or you'll be doing some mounting changes too. After that, maybe going to the next 'size' up would be of benefit (?). I can't tell you anything about 'Hi-Tec' servos, I don't have any. But I'll bet there are a bunch of people here who do...
- 'Doc
Old 03-19-2006, 11:01 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Consider the advice given by LtDoc.

I would stay away from Hitec servos. I used to have many of them but some failed without reason so I ended up replacing all of them with Futaba servos. I use a standard servo($14.00U.S.) for throttle since I don't need the extra servo speed offered by more expensive types.

Also, out of curiousity how fast would you estimate your dolphin is?

Ryan
Old 03-20-2006, 12:36 AM
jmcrooky

Thanks for you input Ryan. Well my Dolphin doesn't go as fast as they said it would, but still is fun. jmcrooky
Old 03-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi tec servos are the most popular servos used today. Durability has not been an issue with anyone I've been in contact with. They have a broad range of torques and speeds. For a throttle servo, an HS 81 is sufficient. If you have to modify the mount, it's not a big deal. I'm not familiar with the toy RTR boats so I can't advise you on how to modify the mount. Typically a piece of 1/16" plywood placed over and secured to the existing mount and adapted for the new servo will suffice.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What is considered a standard servo should do the job which usually have around 46 oz. in. of torque. I've got a bunch of Hi-tec's and have had very good luck with them. If you were to use the HS-81 use the metal gear version, much better than the plastic geared one.
As far as Futaba goes, I'd avoid the 3003 servo like the plague. I've had nothing but problems with those. They are identical to the 148's but something must be different as I like the 148's but wouldn't give you a buck for a truckload of the 3003's, I just don't trust them.