Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tunnel Champs, Walterboro, SC

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tunnel Champs, Walterboro, SC

Old 03-22-2006, 11:49 PM
bobbyh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel Champs, Walterboro, SC

The 2006 OB Tunnel Championships will be held in Walterboro, SC this weekend. There will be a tunnel racing with TWIN 20's on it, the Mod-VP class will be raced for the first time and all the top manufacturers are represented. More information including results, pictures and video after the race can be found at [link=http://www.rmhalliday.com/CMBTC2.html]TCII[/link] . With 90+ entries as they say, "When the green flag drops," well, you know the rest!
-Bobby
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tunnel Champs, Walterboro, SC

Bobby, wish I was there.. Good luck to all.. If you would, push Gabe into the water for me
Old 03-23-2006, 07:49 PM
bobbyh

I'll probably have to stand in line but I'll try! Hope you can make it next year. We should go over 100 boat entries in '07, that's a lot of tunnels in one place! We're having a regular district race at this same lake in October. Come on down if you can!

-Bobby
Old 03-23-2006, 08:23 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Bobby, how's the weather looking down there? I'm heading out really early tomorrow morning. Looks like I might be driving in the rain much of the way. You are going to make sure it's cleared up by noon or so, right?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 AM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: bobbyh

I'll probably have to stand in line but I'll try! Hope you can make it next year. We should go over 100 boat entries in '07, that's a lot of tunnels in one place! We're having a regular district race at this same lake in October. Come on down if you can!

-Bobby
I'm certain there are lots of people wanting to push him in [8D] Get pics Hope to make the race next year. It all depends on my work schedule. If it falls on my weekend off, I'm there. I'll have to look at the club / IMBPA to see when the Oct race is. Might even just come out for a weekend for the heck of it. Just finished rigging up a TS2 tonight.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:28 AM
bobbyh

Chuck,
There shouldn't be any rain here today. It's supposed to mid 50's and partly sunny here so you shouldn't have any problem. Should be a good weekend of fast boats!

Mark,
The October race is Oct 7 & 8, Columbus Day weekend. There should be a good tunnel turnout for it since it is the last race of the High Point series and we expect a tough battle for the district championship this year.

I should have pics and some video of the Twin on the site tomorrow night. I can't wait to see this thing run!

-Bobby
Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Fun site! I went in there yesterday and did my voting. You've got a lot of good racers showing up and ought to be some great racing. Keep us informed as to how things are going and feel free to post some pix in here also.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:58 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: bobbyh
Mark,
The October race is Oct 7 & 8, Columbus Day weekend. There should be a good tunnel turnout for it since it is the last race of the High Point series and we expect a tough battle for the district championship this year.

I should have pics and some video of the Twin on the site tomorrow night. I can't wait to see this thing run!

-Bobby

Yep, just as suspected, work weekend [][] Might just have to come out for a club race..

Can't wait to see vid of that twin 45 OB Tunnel running...
Old 03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
johcap2

Mark,
I got the chance to go to Walterboro yesterday and was very impressed with the twin ob's. The boat was extremely smooth and fast. Im sure that there will be more of them in the near future. I didnt get any video, only a couple of pics. Im sure someone did and will have it available for others to see real soon.
John
Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
bobbyh

John,
Glad you made it out!

It was a GREAT race! I have pics and video of the Twin, the Mod-VP's and all the boats. I took over 200 pics and 1.5 hrs of video so check out the [link=http://www.rmhalliday.com/CMBTC2.html]TCII[/link] site for the latest updates. I'll get it uploaded as soon as I can. Thanks to all the vendors, manufacturers and entrants for making this race a success! A Top Speed 2 won Offshore Class! Good Job piper_chuck!!

-Bobby
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
piper_chuck

Thanks Bobby. I'm still amazed that a boat/engine that had never seen water until Friday afternoon managed to do so well, especially since it was so outclassed in speed and driving! Perhaps it was a tortise and hare kind of thing. I had fun in all the classes, but offshore certainly was the most rewarding.

I'm going to be kicking myself for MONTHS about those 2 bouy cuts in the last heat of sport B. That was the only heat where I feel I lost focus, and the consequences were devistating. Oh well, guess there's next year.

Those twin OS .21s were absolutely amazing.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Ron Olson

How did Grimmie do? I voted for him to win. I see that Ron Byrd did his share of smack talking, did he have anything to back it up with?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:23 PM
piper_chuck

Grim's boats and his driving, were awesome! Ron did pretty well too, but I don't remember all the details. I assume John will post the full results sometime after he recovers from bouy shock. The drivers were not kind to the bouys this weekend, and John was worried we would run out, which we almost did.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 PM
bobbyh

Ron.
This was the first time I met Grim. He is a true asset to RC Boating! It was a pleasure watching him race! B Tunnel was the largest class. First heat he hit the start in front, last year's Champion Steve Cirmella drove by him on the first lap at buoy 5 and Grim dogged him the rest of the way. Steve died between buoy 4 & 5 on the final lap and Grim took first. Second round Grim's boat did not start, 0. Third heat he hit start and took first. Fourth round same story. He recovered from the DNS and took clear first in B tunnel in an incredibly tough field, then gave his boat to James Clegg! Grim had some good luck but he took care of business! With an 18 boat field and names like Otto, Talley, Premo and Hearl, not to mention Cirmella, Van Houten and Lee, he earned it! Great job by the IMPBA OB Director!

-Bobby

BTW, full results are on the [link=http://www.rmhalliday.com/CMBTC2.html]TCII[/link] site.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:00 AM
johcap2

Bobby,
I agree. I met Grimracer for the first time as well as others like yourself and I will have to admit he was a true gentleman. The race was an eye opener for me since I only use mine as a hobby. It was a pleasure to meet the guys I did and get tips and information on boats and motors. I in no way shape or form have a rig to compete but it sure is fun watching the competition. I hope to get more info on upcoming races and try to attend. If you get a chance send me the links that we discussed at the race. Im very interested in following this sport at this point.
Thanks
John
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Ron Olson

I've met Mike a few times, the first at the Toledo show then spent a week around him at the 2003 Internat's. I worked the pits most of the time doing various duties there and one thing that really stood out to me was the communication between himself and his pitman at the race, Big Bryan. He was also right there at the end of racing every day with a cold Miller Lite for me. Between him and Ernie LeFleur's gang, I didn't need to buy much beer.
It made me wish that I lived closer as it looks like everyone had a great time.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
bobbyh

John,
I'll shoot you an email a little later.

Ron,
I uploaded video of Grim's first heat against Steve and a few others. There are some pictures up also. I have a lot to go through. I'll go back put some descriptions with the pics later.

-Bobby