Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dumas Short Stuff Deep Vee 10

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dumas Short Stuff Deep Vee 10

Old 03-23-2006, 04:35 AM
slowstang88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumas Short Stuff Deep Vee 10

Anyone had any experience with this hull? Is it stable enough to put a nitro engine and surface drive into? i ordered one real cheap, and if its a good looking hull, i may cut down the freeboard to lighten it up some and stuff a .15 nitro in there and see how fast it goes. Also, has anyone had experience with cutting in steps? Thanks,

Nate Sanders
Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Dumas Short Stuff Deep Vee 10

Don't go overboard with the Short Stuff. I've had 2 of them, both the 'glas versions many years ago. Putting a .12-.18 engine in them is a shoehorn job as there really isn't much room to work with. Both of mine had sub-surface drives, the first one with the pitiful Dumas hardare and the second with Octura pieces.
go with lightweight parts wherever you can, Hi-tec HS81-MG servos will do the job for throttle and steering plus try to use a small battery pack and reciever. Using a car or truck engine isfine as it wil get more than enough cooling air to the head. I wouldn't cut down the freeboard at all. From what I've seen, the water in Japan isn't that smooth, most boats over there are set up for rough water running.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Hirns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the kit you ordered glass or the wood kit? I would be interested in the build when you start.

Hirns.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:51 AM
slowstang88

it is the wood kit, i think im gonna run a surface drive and center mounted standoff rudder. whats the smallest size nitro marinized ABC engines available?ive seen .12 so far.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Ron Olson

With that boat I wouldn't worry about needing a water-cooled engine, besides it's one less thing to worry about. No plumbing required for cooling.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Hirns

Well I no little about the hardware needed so keep me posted and ad pics if you've got a digital camera when you start the build. I would love to know specifially what brand of hardware you end up using. My motor is an OS 10 marinised with a pull-start.

Hirns.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
slowstang88

good point ron, save weight and space. yes hirns, i have a digicam and i will try to keep a step by step of my progress as soon as i recieve the kit.ive never done an all wood kit before, whats a good way to seal it besides glass,i dont have the space to glass it.ive heard of epoxy encapsulating wood before, is this a strong method?

nate sanders
Old 03-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Ron Olson

When I've built wood kits, I've used a slow setting epoxy as a sealer. You can thin it if you'd like to but after I put it on, I wipe off the excess with paper towels.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:15 PM
slowstang88

right on ron, thanks for the info!!ill try and keep everyone posted after i recieve my kit.it will be put on the backburner til i finish my jet powered cracker(graupner mini jet drive on a 1/10 scale crackerbox).
Old 03-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Hirns

Ron is it also possible to seal such a boat by using 2 pack paint? As I have access to free two pack paint I was planing on using it to seal and paint in one step.