Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

aqua jet engine trouble

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

aqua jet engine trouble

Old 03-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Jesus C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aqua jet engine trouble

hello, i am new to rc boats & i bought a aqua jet with a .16 engine about 5 months ago. i only ran it 5 times & now the engine dosent want to start up. i bought new fuel & glow plus, i charged the glow igniter for 12hrs. i put the needle back to the factory settings also. can anybody hepl me solve dis problem? i bought traxxas 20% fuel & it wont start up. i am getting pissed cuz i tried everything to start it. here are some pics that may help find the problem
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30920.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	431623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13170.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	431624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29071.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	431625  
Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
wave waker

Default RE: aqua jet engine trouble

Jesus C, ur engine is so clean..well, "if it looks good it should run good"..maybe there is a gum build-up or coated with oil since u store it for that long,, so try cleaning ur carb check and wash it, pour some nitro into the cylinder head and give some jumpstart until the nitro comes clear but just a reminder put paper towel before u jumpstart it,,don't blame me if it splash in ur face this happen to anybody by the way.

check ur fuel line for pin hole or gum.

try playing different glow plug though #8 is preferable.

try priming the engine until u can see fuel in the line to the engine.

when starting put the needle in factory setting and either u go leaning first by 1/8 turn or riching until u can hear some firing or combustion and hopefully this will start...let us know....

try to play around wit the opening of ur carb when starting.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Jesus C

thanks for all the help wave waker. i appreciate it. the engine still wont fire up. it been givin me problems ever since i bought it. like when i put the after run oil it leaks out from behind the crankshaft.also when i first got it, it would take like 10-15 pulls to get it stared. I'm just thinking of buyin a new .18 engine.any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It might just be too loaded up with after-run oil. If it's leaking out around the front bearing then you probably have way too much oil in there. Oil leakage around the bearing while running is normal but leaking around there while it was stored is telling me that it has too much in there.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Jesus C

also the when i turn the engine over gas comes out from under the cooling head. is the compression supposed to be high on a .16 engine?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Ron Olson

It should be doing that either. Pull the head off and check you head gaskets. While you've got it off, rotate the head 90 degrees. I have this thing about the water intake line being over the carb.
I had at one time a Grey Thunder, the engine isn't a powerhouse but mine was a great starting engine once I had the carb adjusted and a few tanks of fuel run through it. Usually it would start on the 1st or 2nd pull. I put a starter belt on it but never really used it because it actually started better with the pull-starter.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Jesus C

im sorry 4 all the questions cuz im new to this. what is the head gasket? i opened up the head & i dont see any gasket. here are some pics of the head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq64296.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	432117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38198.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	432118  
Old 03-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Ron Olson

It is usually a thin copper or other metal that may be hard to see. If you touch it with an X-acto blade you might see it then. They are only about .003" thick.
When you tighten down the bolts, use a cross pattern, not just go around the head.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Jesus C

i finaly got the engine started. i turned the head 90 degrees & it stared right up. thansk 4 all the help ron & wave waker