Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

what do you think of a Aeromarine Cataran style boat?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

what do you think of a Aeromarine Cataran style boat?

Old 03-25-2006, 08:20 PM
iowapiper_rcp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think of a Aeromarine Cataran style boat?

Hello guys, i am new to RC boating, adn am looking to get a nice boat. I am looking at an Aeromarine Cat style boat, that comes with a Webra .40 motor, all the running hardware, autobailer, Octura 1460 bronze prop, cowl locks, 3/16th drive shaft. Boat is 34 1/2 by 14. What do you think a boat like this is worth, and what do you think it would reach for a realistic mph? Also, I woudl assume since it is a cat style boat, it would do alright in small chop, ie 1-2 inches, and just cruise right along on a flat water surface? Hull also has no damage, says there is a few nick in teh paint, but hull has no damage. Let me know guys, might be snagging this one up! Also interested in what others here have to offer, if for a decent price, ie under 300.00. This boat is priced very low, so let me know.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: what do you think of a Aeromarine Cataran style boat?

It might be low priced because of it having the Webra .40, probably on the ancient side. The prop is way too large for that little engine. You may have to put some work into it to get it where it should be. I can't give you an idea of the speed but maybe around 40 MPH. It's hard to give you any concrete speed because there are too many factors involved.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:19 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what do you think of a Aeromarine Cataran style boat?

It sounds like the 36" Sprintcat, which can handle anything between .40 and .80. I've got one with an OPS .67 and it's almost as fast as the big gas cats, but turns better. I would not expect it to be very fast with an old Webra .40.

I've become very sceptical about buying boats from someone I don't know. My Sprintcat was "supposed" to be in near perfect condition, the engine "almost new", and nearly "ready to run". When I got it I could tell immediately that the boat had suffered a significant collision, I could see major repairs to the running surfaces of the right sponson. The engine had so much grit in it I was worried it was junk. I could also see that this particular engine had not been used in this boat because the stuffing tube to collet alignment was at least 1/4" off. Unfortunately, one the buyer got his money he basically disappeared, so I was stuck with the boat. I tore the engine completely down and replaced the severely rusted bearings. It seems ok. I also had to take the stuffing tube out and mount a new one. The flex shaft was junk too, all rusted up. The engine mount was a really old style, had holes from several different engines, and was missing a piece. I had to buy a new one. When I finally had the boat ready to go I figured it had taken about twice as long as if I had just bought a new one, and not that much less money.

So, my suggestion is if you can swing it, look into buying a new hull and hardware, or only buy something that you can see, or from another person you know to be reputable. The 20/40 size hull and hardware kit combo isn't too bad and then you could go with a good .21 or even .45 and it would be quick.