Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

onboard fuel mixture for top speed 2

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

onboard fuel mixture for top speed 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 08:54 PM
lelandhild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default onboard fuel mixture for top speed 2

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the 3rd servo is used for on the top speed 2 when it says it can be used for on-board fuel mixture control. how does it work.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:34 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: onboard fuel mixture for top speed 2

Several companies make a remote needle valve that can be controled by a servo. You run a linkage from the servo to the needle and when the servo moves it can make the needle richer or leaner. The purpose is to allow you to adjust the needle valve while the boat is running. In general, this is only useful if you are trying to push the needle valve setting as lean as possible while racing. It can also be useful when you're using a tuned pipe since these make the needle setting more fussy. For recreational boating, it's not so useful. I just managed to run my TS2 through a full day of open water and a bunch of heats and never felt that I really needed the 3rd needle. In fact, my needle hardly strayed from the final setting from the end of Friday's open water.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
lelandhild

What makes the boat go faster, a leaner mixture or a richer mixture.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 PM
piper_chuck

Leaner is faster, both in boat speed and how quickly you will wear out your engine. Also, when you get too lean, your engine overheats and stops. This can also ruin an engine. I ALWAYS set my boat and plane engines slightly rich so they last longer, and so they don't die mid-race or in the air (for planes).
Old 03-26-2006, 09:48 PM
wave waker

i'm also gathering info bout this coz i'm about to intall mine,,,as far as i know micro servo will work, needs 3 channel radio and the remote mixture,, through this u can lean or rich while running...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88329.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	433726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86132.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	433727  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 PM
piper_chuck

If that's the original style tank, matches the pictures in the instruction book, you might want to contact Aquacraft and get a replacement. Many of them have developed leaks and they went to a different style. I also don't think it's a good idea to run the fuel lines all the way to the front of the tank, it's going to be hard for the engine to have enough suction to overcome the resistance of such a long fuel path. Boat tanks usually have the vent and fuel lines in the rear so the tubing is as short as possible.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:38 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

I heard and seen many people set the TS2 up as per the instructions: IE the tank... Not one has stated there was a fuel draw issue. As Russ Williams stated on IW, the boat was setup for a true beginner. A beginner would not have the experince on how to bend / setup a proper tank for boat use. But I'm like PC, tank leads out the back. Then again, all my boats are using aftermarket metal tanks. My TS2 is being setup with a Jackrabbit Racing remote needle base with an O.S. 3rd channel needle. Other boats will use this setup or one from Precission Boats Racing.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 PM
piper_chuck

My instruction book very clearly shows a picture of the old style tank with the leads facing out the back, closest to the engine, not out the front.

I'm still undecided about the needle. I've thought about it, and I have a couple styles available, but still haven't determined if it's worth the bother. The lack of the remote needle certainly didn't hurt this past weekend.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:57 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

My instruction book very clearly shows a picture of the old style tank with the leads facing out the back, closest to the engine, not out the front.

I'm still undecided about the needle. I've thought about it, and I have a couple styles available, but still haven't determined if it's worth the bother. The lack of the remote needle certainly didn't hurt this past weekend.
Instruction book? It came with one? LOL.. Don't think I even have looked at page one yet on mine. It's ready to run but has yet to be fired up.

My comment came from the TS2 thread on IW. Someone there mentioned they set it up per the instructions with the tubes out front. Before buying my TS2 during the winter months I saw some TS2 running in Louisville. They all had the leads out front. I was confused at this, but never inquired as to why.

I've had past discussions with JD. He lost a race due to not having a 3rd channel on the boat. Weather conditions changed during the day and he never changed the needle. With this, he lost a heat race lead and the overall due to running rich.

There are pro's / con's to using a 3rd channel.

BTW: Congrats on the win there PC...
Old 03-26-2006, 11:02 PM
ob nut

Now I recall what the discussion was about on the fuel line system. Use of the "clunk" that went to the front. My mistake.. Sorry... Foolish me.. []
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing that the responders didn't mention yet is to get the remote needle as close as you can to the carb. This way to can tell soner when you have the needle close to where you need it mixture wise. Use a radio system with a fast 3rd channel on it. I made the mistake of using a radio on my first attempt on using a remote needle that was about as fast as winding an 8-day clock.