Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Spekrum DX2 in a gas boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Spekrum DX2 in a gas boat

Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 PM
heli-nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spekrum DX2 in a gas boat

I tested the Spekrum in the nitro Bud, then I installed it in two other boats. 7.5 cc and G260 Seadcers. I ran them both past Sunday. They went into lock out mode about 200 ft. away. Does any one run this radio in a gas boat? Is there anything i could do to fix this ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Spekrum DX2 in a gas boat

The Spektrum's have had a lot of problems in boats especially with the range problem so you're not the only one. Racers were reporting that they would lose signal on the back stretches and distant corners at race sites. Some figured that maybe their tuned pipes were causing a blocked signal to the antenna, others had problems when it was around carbon fiber parts. Most R/C car and truck racers, not backyard bashers generally don't run the distances that we do away from their vehicles so they may not have trouble. The early production recievers also ran into another little problem, circuit board components were hitting the top of the case damaging them.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
heli-nut

Thanks for your fast response Ron. I am going to the Toledo Show in April, I will bring a copy of this to Horizon, and let see what their response is. For me this is another nail in the coffin for JR Radio. ( I think JR makes this Spekrum radio).
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Ron Olson

Cool, I'll be there also, maybe Friday this year, I'm not 100% sure yet.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
heli-nut

Past Sunday I put an extendion on the antenna wire -about 6 inches. It did not lock out all day. Is this a OK fix?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Ron Olson

Good question. I know that the radio system has a minimum antenna length but it doesn't say anything about a maximum. If it can be clipped off at any length above the minimum, it should be fine in my mind.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 PM
heli-nut

I had a chance to discuss the range problem with Spekrum at Toledo Horizon booth. First one of the rep. told me there was a software upgrade to fix this problem for boaters, because of radio waves reflecting off water surface.
When I e-mail John Adams at Horizon, I was told he is one of the senior engineer for Spekrum product. His reply was that Spekum was designed for RC cars only, and he does not recommend it for boats application. I guess the software fix did not work!!
I think I am SCREWED. I should buy a Futaba 3PK before I crash my boats with the Spekrum!