Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

what percentage of nitro to us for an o.s. outboard

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

what percentage of nitro to us for an o.s. outboard

Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
lelandhild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what percentage of nitro to us for an o.s. outboard

I was looking at the O.S. .21 outboard and it said not to use any nitro fuel over 30%or it would hurt the engine.Can i not use some 50%-60% nitro or will it hurt the engine. If it will hurt the engine is there anything I can do so that it wont hurt the engine. any help would be much appreciated
Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: what percentage of nitro to us for an o.s. outboard

It's not unusual for it to be run with 50% nitro, just make sure that you use a quality boat fuel with 18-20% oil content. These little engines love nitro. You could use higher nitro but the needle gets harder to set once you get over 50%. O.S. is just trying to watch their butt and may void the warranty if higher than 30% is used.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:20 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

What do you plan to do with it, just run it around, or race? If you're just going to run it for fun, 15-25% will be fine, and much more economical. If you're going to race you'll find lots of people running 50% or more. However, be aware that increasing the nitro shortens engine life.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:30 PM
lelandhild

thanks for the help, what kind of engine mods are there for the os outboard and where can I get them on the internet.Also how do I connect a tuned pipe to the os outboard.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

http://precision-boats.com/
There aren't many parts yet for the OS but I wouldn't be surprised to see more coming out as this engine continues to become more popular.
Putting a tuned pipe on an OS is a lot easier than trying to do it on a K&B as all you have to do is unbolt the muffler. You may have to make up a mounting bracket to hold the pipe but that's no big deal.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:31 PM
ob nut

Might want to give Joe at [link=http://home.earthlink.net/~namba707spec/]707 Specialties[/link] a call also. He has a header adaptor for the OS 21 along with pipes.

As for fuel, agree with PC on the nitro content. Play is low and racing is high.

If you are looking for that magic trick for speed, there's one area in which people don't look.. PROP.. Get some different props and play around with them. M440, X440, X1440 (b/c), X438, X437/3 or ABC 53x40 are some props to think about for 21 tunnels.