Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Mean Machine 18 RTR

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Mean Machine 18 RTR

Old 03-28-2006, 08:46 PM
tsksmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mean Machine 18 RTR

I know they have been promising these for awhile but has anyone actually received one? What is the final production model like? Stringers w/ Aeromarine's rubber isolated motor mounts? What motor did they finally go with? Which tuned pipe?

If no one has received the RTR version, I suspect they can't sell for $379 ready to run and are backing out by not delivering. I figured out for me to buy all parts and put one together using Aeromarine hardware, OS .18 motor, Blazer radio would be $650+. Could this be the reason we haven't seen the RTR version for $379?[&:]
Old 03-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Mean Machine 18 RTR

I've seen pix of the production boat but don't know for sure if they have finally arrived. I was hoping to see Remy at the Toledo show but it looks like he won't be there this year.
They went through several engines and pipes plus I wasn't sure what radio system was coming with it.
Last year he was taking a lot of money and orders for it. Fun R/C Boats was taking advance orders on it so maybe get hold of Debbie there to see what's going on.
The motor mount isn't on typical engine rails but a fiberglass stand or mound for lack of a better word for it.
The engine at that time was described as an Aeromarine/OPS .18 which I suspect might be made by someone else.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:28 AM
tsksmith

On the offshoreelectrics.com website there are pictures from theh WRAM show of the MM 18. Are these recent pictures? Could this be the final prodction boat?

Motor looks like a Cen... No stringers, no Aeromarine motor mounts, just aluminum plates.

I've run .80 and .90 CMB powered cats and outriggers for years. I want to build a quality fun boat for my daughter and the only way I see it is to buy the MM 18 with stringers and build up myself using the OS .18.

Any comments on the RTR version?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Ron Olson

Contact Steve at Offshore Electrics or Debbie at www.funrcboats.com . Fun R/C is selling the bare hulls and pre-built electric and a .21 nitro version. Remy kept one mold here at their shop and made a few already to keep the people happy.
He was not going to use the CEN Racing engine but may have ended up using it, I hope not as it won't hit the advertised 33 MPH.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:17 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I can't figure out what's up at Fun RC. The mean machine hull and hardware used to be a good deal. I was really close to buying one, but decided I needed a bigger cat for competition. The hardware kit used to be less than $200, but the price they're showing now is $299.99. At this price, buying the 21/45 cat & hardware combo is a better deal, and from what they said, is the same size and hull design. Add an OS or OPS .21 and a radio and it would be a great fun boat.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:25 AM
tsksmith

Received this from Tony at RC fun boats. Apparently they are available now...

-What make is the motor? No name .18 made in China

-is it pull start? Belt start? Pull start

-Does the hull have stringers? Yes

-What type of motor mounts? Aeromarine rubber isolated motor mounts or? No solid alum

-Tuned pipe make? No name

-Is it available in red with the detail kit? Yes

-Is this boat available now? We have a Yellow on in stock

I'm not too crazy about the about the "no name" motor made in China or the "no name" tuned pipe. No information on the radio which is probably another "no name".

I will probably ask for a MM18 hull with stringers and build myself with the .18 OS. Probably will cost 2X as much but as least I'll have a quality boat.

TS
Old 04-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Ron Olson

You might as well go with a .21 in that boat but you know that someone is going to stick a .45 in it sometime.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:08 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi dont knock the chinese motors the sc motors ive used in planes for a few years are actually os clones but guess what? they are actually better motors than os ones giving more power and in my opinion better quality for less than half the price!!.im sure someone might disagree with me but i remember a guy from china telling me he actually used to build the os engines and he agreed the sc is as good if not better than the os .so maybe the one your talking about might be worth a try!!.is it an asp? ive seen them on ebay before from a chinese seller!!.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:17 PM
boataddict

My wife ordered one last year as surprise Birthday gift for my "Birthday last year" but they never shipped. She told me she got a call today (almost a year later) from Aeromarine asking if she was still interested because they are ready to be shipped.

- Has anyone seen it run?

- What speed(range) should we expect to get out of a .18 in this type of hull?

- How good is Aeromarine's support on parts and service?

Thanks...

Old 04-07-2006, 09:38 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

hi dont knock the chinese motors the sc motors ive used in planes for a few years are actually os clones but guess what?...
I don't think it was a knock of chinese motors as much as moving from a generic .18 to a larger, known engine. The .18s are usually bored out versions of smaller engines. When you move up to a .21 they're more durable and have more grunt.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:31 AM
330T

The size and weight of the mean machine I would have to guess the .18 will be woefully under powered.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Ron Olson

Remy told me that they had it radared at 33 MPH but hopefully they lightened the lay-up to save some weight. That hull size they usually use for their .21-.45 Cats.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM
piper_chuck

I think the low 30s is more than adequate for the RTR market. There's no control on where these boats will be run and the last thing the hobby needs is 40-50 mph boats on open lakes being run by people just starting out.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
iowapiper_rcp

I saw one of these this weekend when we were all at the pond running, wasnt too impressed. The plastic prop provided didnt move the boat well at all. No matter what the fellar did to it, he couldnt seem to make it do much but put around. Needless to say, I wasnt very impressed by it. Great hull and design, I think they are just abit under proped and under powered. Im not sure of the motor they use, but it didnt seem like much.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 PM
boataddict

ORIGINAL: iowapiper_rcp

I saw one of these this weekend when we were all at the pond running, wasnt too impressed. The plastic prop provided didnt move the boat well at all. No matter what the fellar did to it, he couldnt seem to make it do much but put around. Needless to say, I wasnt very impressed by it. Great hull and design, I think they are just abit under proped and under powered. Im not sure of the motor they use, but it didnt seem like much.

Are you sure it was a Mean Machine that you saw? Aeromarine states that the boat comes installed with a metal prop..
Old 04-10-2006, 09:49 PM
iowapiper_rcp

100% positive. His might have been an early model perhaps. The guy worked for a hobby store in missouri and got it there. H ejust got it done and painted. He said it came with the prop that was on it, which was a plastic prop, maybe he was mistaken. Regardless, the thing wasnt impressive for performance, but other than that, design was superb!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Ron Olson

Painted and a plastic prop? Something just doesn't sound right. It should have already been gel-coated and decaled.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 AM
iowapiper_rcp

fellas, i seen teh damned thing with my own eyes. It was a Aeromarine cat, the Mean Machine! I even asked a few others what it was, and they said the same thing. Maybe the guy was a tard and just wanted us all to think he painted it. I was really th eonly one that talked to him, the others said that they didnt care for the guy. Anyhow, it WAS a mean machine I know that for a fact!! He might have made that excuse of it having a plastic prop because he changed it, then it ran like crap, idk, but I do know what I saw. Anyhow, fell free to get your own, and figure it out.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Ron Olson

That might be the problem there, a boater with no experience. You can see that at a race, a boat might not run like it should because of the owner.