Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Old 05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

I have the same problem, only mine is around 1/2 tank it wants to die. and I know it's not running lean, well not all the time, but I do play with the needle quite a bit. Anyway, yeah mine dies like that too.....I did not push the issue much at the fun run I was at yesterday, mostly because I was having range issuses with my radio....Maybe I should have hounded ron or ob nut to help me figure it out while I had them right there lol

Maybe someone should call proboat. They are horizon and horizon rocks. If mine presists, I will call them. I'll be playing boats tomorrow so I think I will try to figure it out then.
ORIGINAL: brownvhf

Hi Ron and thanks for the welcome wave Walker, and just working here at the house as it never seems to get caught up anymore as not enough time in the day.
Did run the boat today and the patch job on the header pipe worked well but still have a problem in that the boat seems like it runs out of fuel when it still has 1/8 inch of fuel in the bottom of the tank. Not sure what to try next as have replaced the fuel lines and also put clamps on the ends of the fuel lines. The boat runs fine until it acts like there isn't any gas left in it.
Was hoping to go the the trials at thread lake though as last time I was there I had two electric boats and that was 20 years ago. Time sure does have a habbit of flying by, Jerry
Old 05-28-2006, 07:12 PM
brownvhf

Would also like to say hello to my neighbor, about 20 miles south of me, Dodamissc, and that was a decent run you had at 37mph. Jerry
Old 05-28-2006, 07:15 PM
FE_Chris

Yo Jerry!!! Thanks for the shout out!!! Yeah, I am proud, I put it in my sig next to the TC31 lol

Would also like to say hello to my neighbor, about 20 miles south of me, Dodamissc, and that was a decent run you had at 37mph. Jerry
Old 05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
FE_Chris

wave waker's boat is faster then mine is though, cause if that M-445 and 65% made my boat go from 30-31 to 37, then his will do 40+ with the same fuel and prop.

Wave, dude, you know you want to........go get some 65% and a done-up M-445 and let us know!!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:34 PM
MsDarla

Has anyone tried O'Donnell 30% boat fuel?

I usually use Blue Thunder Sport 20% in all my nitro.

Today my Thundercat31 ran perfect for the 1st tank then would stall after 5 minutes on the 2nd tank, I gave up after that plus I flipped my Traxxas Villain EX two times today which I never thought was possible since I have done several crazy turns/J-Hooks without any issues.

Brushless is on my mind to try next.
Aquacraft is coming out with one called SuperVee 27.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:07 PM
brownvhf

Dodamissc what Spectrum are you running as I read in one of the rc magazines that they had a new transmitter module out and anyone with the 1st generation unit could send it in for a no charge exchange and that was supposed to take care of the range problem. My dx2 I know will run at least 200ft away as I have run my rc18t on the road out front with it. I'm not sure on the dx3 I have in my boat as I just got it last Sunday.
Brushless is nice in my rc18t truck, stays very cool running a 2 cell lippo battery and runs 51mph on the road. Raced a nitro truck, a hellfire, and had no problem running away from him. The hellfire was a 1/10 scale truck.
Would be interesting to find about the heat from a boat running a brushless setup with lippo batteries. Jerry
Old 05-28-2006, 08:20 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

If you’re having some trouble with your boat not wanting to run after ½ tank or so. Try taking the tank off. Leave the pressure & fuel lines attached. Put it under water and plug one end with your finger & blow into the other. See if any bubbles come from some where. You might have a leak &the systems isn’t staying pressurized. Just a guess but try it. And check for loose exhaust pressure nipples . Check the connection on the carb. Check if the carb is loose even.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:45 PM
MsDarla

Very well could be since it seems something always leaks or comes loose on the boat.
I should have known better since my 1st nitro boat is a CEN Aqua Jet with many simular issues.

Maybe thats the way this hobby is, Always fixing/tuning.

Sorry if I offend anyone.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:00 PM
FE_Chris

Yeah, I have a DX2 and the regular RX's for now. I just ordered the Airtronics M11 Transmitter and it comes with the spektrum pro kit. So I get the module and 1 new pro Rx. It should be here sometime this week. I got a great deal on it through ebay. Brand spanking new. I am hoping this works better and has better range, if not, I am going back to AM for boats. Cause I have plenty of AM radios.

lol...the hellfire is a 1/8th scale truggy actually, but I would not doubt that your brushless 18T took them out when it comes to top speed.

Dodamissc what Spectrum are you running as I read in one of the rc magazines that they had a new transmitter module out and anyone with the 1st generation unit could send it in for a no charge exchange and that was supposed to take care of the range problem. My dx2 I know will run at least 200ft away as I have run my rc18t on the road out front with it. I'm not sure on the dx3 I have in my boat as I just got it last Sunday.
Brushless is nice in my rc18t truck, stays very cool running a 2 cell lippo battery and runs 51mph on the road. Raced a nitro truck, a hellfire, and had no problem running away from him. The hellfire was a 1/10 scale truck.
Would be interesting to find about the heat from a boat running a brushless setup with lippo batteries. Jerry
Old 05-28-2006, 09:01 PM
FE_Chris

nope no offense taken, this hobby is exactly that. Always tinkering with something. Thats the nature of the beast.
ORIGINAL: MsDarla

Very well could be since it seems something always leaks or comes loose on the boat.
I should have known better since my 1st nitro boat is a CEN Aqua Jet with many simular issues.

Maybe thats the way this hobby is, Always fixing/tuning.

Sorry if I offend anyone.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:11 PM
brownvhf

Just found a pin hole near the exaust pressure nipple in my patch job from last night and patched it. Will try it tommorrow and maby its fixed. Will call horizon for sure though Tuesday for another header pipe unless someone knows of a aftermarket header that will work. Jerry
Old 05-28-2006, 09:26 PM
MsDarla

When I had several issues with muffler/exhaust leaks on my CEN Aqua Jet I used JB Weld which finally sealed all the leaks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28206.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	467863  
Old 05-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That problem is bugging me also as there is a sump in the bottom of the tank so that it shouldn't run out with fuel still in it.
Anyone else having that problem and know of any cures?

Boy, I'm still burned out from yesterday and had to go to work. Nothing like going into a building that is 10-15 degrees hotter than it is outside! Gravy night though.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:44 AM
HobieHernandez

I should be keeping up to date with all these post,,See what problems are going on,,I just got mine and it is giving me head aces already,Some genious cross threaded my glow plug in,some of the holes on the hatch where not properly in line,and the fuel line is sitting below the tank,so i added a longer one..I filled up the tank and watched the fuel flow out the card into my hull..Oh well it is all part of the fun,,I will be calling proboat for a new head anyway..
Old 05-29-2006, 10:23 AM
brownvhf

HobieHernandez try resetting the low speed adjustment on the carb and that will take care of the fuel going through the carb. After I did mine, I had no more problem. The setting on both the high and low speed adjustments were both 1 turn more than the manual said. Jerry
Old 05-29-2006, 10:46 AM
toyotatruckin

Just wondering what fuel everyone is using?
Ive been thinking on O'Donnell 20% or25% the lhs told me to use airplane fuel at 15% and the rest of the fuel is car fuel Low oil so im gonna have to order it...
Old 05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
JPriami

I dont see why it matters if you use whats called car fuel. I have been running Trinity 20% Plat fuel in all 3 of the boats. Never had a problem. One engine has at least seen 3 gallons now and its still strong. And since the heads are all water cooled I dont see high temps. I seem to run about 130 degrees or so on average. Now if I were to be running something with higher nitro than 20% maybe a higher oil content might be more benificial? Perhaps someone could explain their thoughts on it & why I would be better to buy a fuel thats 20% nitro made just for boats?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:09 PM
JPriami

My new flex cable is starting to break after just two days of running. And the total hours of running might be 2 maybe 3 hours at the most on this cable. I grease it every time I end the day and do the clean up & engine after run procedures. So it gets greased more than the manual says. But I think I figured out 2 reasons why it keeps breaking on me. Well maybe 3 reasons. (1) I might not have left enough of a gap between the end of the strut & the drive dog. So when the cable spun up & flexed it might not have had enough of a gap there when it flexed. (2) Today I noticed the cables stuffing tube was tight on the cable where the stuffing tube meets the strut. I noticed this more because I was working on the strut today and made it so it would drop down a little lower. And the stuffing tube even at the struts lowest point when it was stock before the mod was hard to get to line them up. So I bent the stuffing tube by hand some to get it to fit better and now the cable fits nice between the two points without any excess binding. Even at the new lower strut depth. (3) Maybe I should try getting another cable other than the one proboat sends you. They might all be junky? Whats a good replacement cable I can order?
Old 05-29-2006, 02:45 PM
wave waker

Nitross, how's the alignment of ur engine to flexshaft tubing? coz mine it's way out by bout 1/4 of an inch which i re-aligned it before running that was when i just got it, no probs of flexshaft breakin besides i always have extra flexshaft with me always,,,somebody says prather flexshaft works good...

to those having prob with fuel tank leaks i tried to sealed it with soldering gun or whatever, locate the leak heat the gun and just run the hot tip to the leak area, plastic will melt and sealed it but be extra careful not to over burn it, the finish is very neat and clean u'll never ever notice it.

for boat retrieving hook i used rc car ball link, i picked the smallest for the sake of looks and proportion to the boat and screw it to both sides of the boat, 100% chance of hooking once the fishing line run across it.

Name:	Jh15361.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	468207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19564.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	468208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37569.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	468209  
Old 05-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Ron Olson

I've used both Aeromarine and Hughey flex cables for years with zero problems. We thought that we had finally gone through one Saturday but it was just a loose flex cable collet on my sons boat.
The smallest thing that I've seen used as a hook for on a boat for retrieving was a bra hook. Go ahead and snicker as I did too but it must have worked!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
FE_Chris

I use 65% nitro / 18% oil Wild Cat Pro Mix, Thanks to my buddy OB nut!!!!! You wanna see that puppy go, get some of that.

EDIT: I know ron uses differant flex cables, but my LHS's carry prather and they seem to work fine. Just make sure you have the 1/4 inch gap or else it does'nt matter which one you use, you'll break it.
ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

Just wondering what fuel everyone is using?
Ive been thinking on O'Donnell 20% or25% the lhs told me to use airplane fuel at 15% and the rest of the fuel is car fuel Low oil so im gonna have to order it...
Old 05-29-2006, 06:34 PM
HobieHernandez

Thanks BrownVHF
Overlooked that my BAD,Went crazy for nothing..Set the screws and she sparked right up,,anyone know where a can get the Bacardi stickers for this boat??I stripped the factory stickers and it seems to look bigger with out them..Also my hull smells like fiberglass after the fuel spill,,is this common on a new boat??or maybe the fiberglass did not cure yet and it is interacting with the fuel..Hope not,that could be bad..
Old 05-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Ron Olson

Try a local sign shop for Bacardi decals as they might be able to cut some for you. I'd ask my sister but I just found out this morning that she went in Tuesday for some major surgery and isn't quite up to doing any work yet.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:00 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I've used both Aeromarine and Hughey flex cables for years with zero problems. We thought that we had finally gone through one Saturday but it was just a loose flex cable collet on my sons boat.
The smallest thing that I've seen used as a hook for on a boat for retrieving was a bra hook. Go ahead and snicker as I did too but it must have worked!
now i know if i heard somebody's complaining of missing bra hook..it's Ron!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:27 PM
wave waker

i got this mac tuned pipe for my nitro hammer but i changed my mind after i test ran it in tc31..during intallation i need to cut the header as shown in the pics just to accomodate, i also removed the ring/holder whatever u call it, not a big deal just widen the hole and i can put it back, it's now longer by 1 in. compare to the stock, measured from the plug to the widest part of the tuned pipe, so last minute decision i sneaked to the pond and tested, just my observation it's more quiter and muffled in sound and the most is it adds speed, my topspeed for today is 36mph[8D] and most run will stay 33-35mph,,,,,Dodamissc, u better do something i'm 1 mph behind u dude....still 40 mph is not far away!!btw, i'm running 25% nitro with x440/3.

Name:	Mk25487.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	468365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39324.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	468366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55185.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	468367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45741.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	468368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67269.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	468369  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.