Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Old 10-16-2014, 03:00 PM
  #2851  
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)
 
Ron Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 18,682
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

There's 2 of them that I know of for sale on Facebook, both look like they've got low time on them. One guy in Florida wants to move up to a gas Cat.Duty, for the carb, try Tower Hobbies as they did carry a while ago.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:43 PM
  #2852  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,030
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

SuperTigre parts have been very scarce over the last several years. There was issues getting parts from the Chinese factory. There is supposed to be parts and engines being produced now or very soon so don't expect much from Hobbico/Tower right now until they get more stock in store. Your best bet on a carburetor for the old S-series engines is to search ebay or post about what you need in the Club Super Tigre thread in the glow engines forum.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 AM
  #2853  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1qwksport2.5r View Post
supertigre parts have been very scarce over the last several years. There was issues getting parts from the chinese factory. There is supposed to be parts and engines being produced now or very soon so don't expect much from hobbico/tower right now until they get more stock in store. Your best bet on a carburetor for the old s-series engines is to search ebay or post about what you need in the club super tigre thread in the glow engines forum.
have you ever heard or tried the perry carbs ?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 AM
  #2854  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,030
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duty View Post
have you ever heard or tried the perry carbs ?
Never tried one, probably never will. The smallest debris particle fouls up the mixture. They are prone to o-ring shrinkage more than other carbs which makes them impossible to adjust properly when that happens. If one understands how to adjust a Perry carb properly and has a clean carb with good o-rings, they work very well based on what others have said about them. I much prefer the Italian ST 2-needle carbs - they work fantastically as long as you adjust them properly. They get setup slightly differently than other standard 2-needle carbs l.

I will not own and run any of the Chinese SuperTigre engines - I only have interest in the Italian made engines and parts. If you have an Italian ST engine, the fitment of the Chinese parts is not always the same. Many parts will not interchange between Chinese made and Italian made engines of the same model.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 10-20-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM
  #2855  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Never tried one, probably never will. The smallest debris particle fouls up the mixture. They are prone to o-ring shrinkage more than other carbs which makes them impossible to adjust properly when that happens. If one understands how to adjust a Perry carb properly and has a clean carb with good o-rings, they work very well based on what others have said about them. I much prefer the Italian ST 2-needle carbs - they work fantastically as long as you adjust them properly. They get setup slightly differently than other standard 2-needle carbs l.

I will not own and run any of the Chinese SuperTigre engines - I only have interest in the Italian made engines and parts. If you have an Italian ST engine, the fitment of the Chinese parts is not always the same. Many parts will not interchange between Chinese made and Italian made engines of the same model.
do you have a website for this ST-2 ? I just know their has to be a better carb for my .32 dynamite marine engine ..
Old 10-20-2014, 05:29 PM
  #2856  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,030
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

I don't know what will fit your engine being I don't know the neck size and choke size of every carb out there... But I would suggest measuring the choke and neck size so you at least know what you're looking for. I don't understand, however, what the problem is with the Dynamite carburetor? My Mach and SH engines have superb Carburetors. (SH makes engines for Losi/Mach/Dynamite, XTM, LRP, etc..).
Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 AM
  #2857  
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)
 
Ron Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 18,682
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

The carb is really too small to get any real performance out of. First, the Dynamite .32 is considered only a Sport engine so it's going to have mild timing and the tiny carb. Without port-matching the header a mod like getting a bigger carb isn't going to help much as it's choking the engine there also.I spent a lot of time working on .12 powered boats and learned a lot with those. I ran into the issue where many of them were restricted with carb size as ROAR rules say that the carbs can have only a 5.5mm bore. A guy made up some Nova Rossi .21 carbs and turned them down so that they'd fit into my engines. With just a carb swap alone my little boat went from running wet to barely on the water and a good guesstimated 5 or more MPH gain.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 AM
  #2858  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,030
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

That makes sense. The choke size of my SH .28 monster truck engine is 9.1mm and makes gobs of power. Maybe sourcing a car carburetor will do the trick?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 AM
  #2859  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
The carb is really too small to get any real performance out of. First, the Dynamite .32 is considered only a Sport engine so it's going to have mild timing and the tiny carb. Without port-matching the header a mod like getting a bigger carb isn't going to help much as it's choking the engine there also.I spent a lot of time working on .12 powered boats and learned a lot with those. I ran into the issue where many of them were restricted with carb size as ROAR rules say that the carbs can have only a 5.5mm bore. A guy made up some Nova Rossi .21 carbs and turned them down so that they'd fit into my engines. With just a carb swap alone my little boat went from running wet to barely on the water and a good guesstimated 5 or more MPH gain.
I agree ron I did the port matching on the header all ready where do I get this carb you are talking about ??
Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 AM
  #2860  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I don't know what will fit your engine being I don't know the neck size and choke size of every carb out there... But I would suggest measuring the choke and neck size so you at least know what you're looking for. I don't understand, however, what the problem is with the Dynamite carburetor? My Mach and SH engines have superb Carburetors. (SH makes engines for Losi/Mach/Dynamite, XTM, LRP, etc..).
the carbs o.d. is .550
Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 AM
  #2861  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,030
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duty View Post
the carbs o.d. is .550
You measured the O.D of the neck of the carb where it goes into the engine and not the top above the throttle valve, right?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM
  #2862  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
You measured the O.D of the neck of the carb where it goes into the engine and not the top above the throttle valve, right?
correct that's the neck that goes into the engine block
Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
  #2863  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
The carb is really too small to get any real performance out of. First, the Dynamite .32 is considered only a Sport engine so it's going to have mild timing and the tiny carb. Without port-matching the header a mod like getting a bigger carb isn't going to help much as it's choking the engine there also.I spent a lot of time working on .12 powered boats and learned a lot with those. I ran into the issue where many of them were restricted with carb size as ROAR rules say that the carbs can have only a 5.5mm bore. A guy made up some Nova Rossi .21 carbs and turned them down so that they'd fit into my engines. With just a carb swap alone my little boat went from running wet to barely on the water and a good guesstimated 5 or more MPH gain.
ron you got any or can I get one of these carbs you are talking about >???
Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM
  #2864  
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)
 
Ron Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 18,682
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

No, I can't get them anymore. The guy got out of RC and got himself an airplane.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
  #2865  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
No, I can't get them anymore. The guy got out of RC and got himself an airplane.
boooooooo lol welli got a carb from Australia it runs great !!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:48 PM
  #2866  
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)
 
Ron Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 18,682
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

For those of you looking for a bigger engine to drop into the boat, this one might be a low-cost option. The only info I have is what's on the site.https://mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts.asp?catalogid=425 A pull-start and side exhaust makes the conversion a lot easier.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:14 AM
  #2867  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ron olson View Post
for those of you looking for a bigger engine to drop into the boat, this one might be a low-cost option. The only info i have is what's on the site.https://mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts.asp?catalogid=425 a pull-start and side exhaust makes the conversion a lot easier.
thanx ron long live the thundercat
Old 06-10-2015, 12:51 PM
  #2868  
digerman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

long live the thundercat someone said it couldn't be done I blew up my dynamite engineit now has a Zenoah first time out was a blast will take vids soon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2101875  
Old 06-10-2015, 01:48 PM
  #2869  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by digerman View Post
long live the thundercat someone said it couldn't be done I blew up my dynamite engineit now has a Zenoah first time out was a blast will take vids soon
holy **** how fast that go ? I would love to see videos !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:15 PM
  #2870  
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)
 
Ron Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 18,682
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Things are about to get interesting.......
Old 06-10-2015, 06:17 PM
  #2871  
duty
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: cherry hill, NJ
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Things are about to get interesting.......
my man ron pots and pans :P
Old 06-21-2015, 11:46 AM
  #2872  
digerman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It still needs a little work fine tuning and prop testing and mod the lid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOnm7ZIYbQ
Old 06-22-2015, 01:11 PM
  #2873  
mysteryrc
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duty View Post
my man ron pots and pans :P
what they said.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
  #2874  
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)
 
Ron Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 18,682
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

I watched the video yesterday. There's a lot more left in that boat!
Old 09-04-2015, 12:51 AM
  #2875  
Oleost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: , NORWAY
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi, just wanted to share my mod.

Its an permanently mounted glow starter in the boat, taking power from the RX battery.

Used an XL4015 DC-DC Step Down to bring the RX battery down to 1.3v, and a switch to turn the glow starter on/off.


On the battery I have two jst connection, on that powers the RX and the other one are Im going to have outside the waterproof box to charge the A123 receiver pack and to power the glow starter circuit.


Please dont try and power this trough the RX itself.


The negativ is grounded to the engine mount, and the positive is connected to the tip of the glow plug with an spade connector, the end that usually goes into the cable.



https://youtu.be/--lNo5t_bzU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2pzfwjp.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2118022   Click image for larger version

Name:	24od5c8.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2118023  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.