Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

ORIGINAL: impulse

Well I just picked up my boat today. Plus 2, 220 props; cable grease, hump pack, 6 cell starter pack (wanted fresh). $359 including tax.

But I have a lot of work ahead. Ripping out the engine and dissambling looking for metal shavings etc. Should be fun though. Hopefully I can get it in the water by this weekend. Is a JR 650 servo enough torque for the rudder? Its about 140 oz. Thanks

That servo should be plenty for the boat. To be honest with you I hit something & stripped my stock servo. So I replaced it with a Hitec HS645MG servo and replaced my conection rod to a 4-40 rod. I dont see any major diffrence between this stronger setup & the stock setup. The boat turns well even with the stock setup for an rtr.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:10 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Hey jerry, Thats great!!! Let us know what kind of speeds you get, and what percentage of nitro fuel you are using with it.

I've had my GF over the past couple nights, so not much RC'ing going on But I will have some time this weekend to run her. I still have to remember to borrow my buddies GPS and play with the strut to see where I can get the max speed. All in do time...
ORIGINAL: brownvhf

Just got the boat back in the water today and after trying to get it running discovered that when my grand kids were over this past weekend one of them must have played with the high speed adjustment as it was turned to just 3/4 of a turn. Reset the adjustment and then the tc31 flew.
Last wed evening while running I hit a log that had floated up in the pond behind the house and broke the rudder off, no other damage but had to wait for the new rudder which came last night from horizon.
Today was the first running for the octura m445 prop and what a difference, up on plane right away and the lift the boat had riding the top of the water really looked good. Have no way to check the speed until my eagle tree system gets here but the octura m445 prop I think is a real good choice. Thanks dodamissc and ron olson who came up eith the octura m445 and tc31 combination. Next time the grand kids come over the tc31 will be covered. Also removed the 10ft log from the pond so its all clear again.
Changed my first flex cable today as when I pulled it out to grease I noticed that 2 strands on each side 1 inch back from the soldier joint were broke. I think probably this was caused by running without a properly balanced prop at least that is what I think. Jerry
Old 06-06-2006, 10:27 PM
wave waker

so anybody's tc31 hits 40mph and above?..just done trimming the radio box cover, now it's easy access and more waterproof and i think it will add bout 5 mph with this mod
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77758.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	473328  
Old 06-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The last that I knew, the boat was still at the bottom of the pond this afternoon. Two divers were there, Mark McCray and Bob Kinsell. Mark left his gear home and Bob had an empty tank.

Jerry, a trick that I showed Wave Walker at the Fun Run is to drill another hole in the rudder bracket for a small, 3-48, 2-56 or 4-40 nut and bolt made of preferably brass but aluminum will do then ditch the bottom stainless nut and bolt off the bracket. Whatever you use, get spares as these will work as shear pins if you hit another piece of flotsam and save your rudder. It won't steer for crap after you hit something but it's cheaper than buying a new rudder.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Thundercat 31

well messed up my servor's and the on / off switch.
but it will be an easy fix.
has eny one tried a bigger motor on the cat yet
www.quicktechhobby.com got's an ops .45 with pipe for just 275$
imagine how fast this engine will make the tc go. my guess is in the 50mph maybe more
think about that.........
Old 06-07-2006, 06:12 AM
FE_Chris

All right dude!!! As soon as you man up on that motor, install it and run it, the rest of us will know what to do for max speed!!!

Don;t forget too, change the engine, I am sure you will have to change the prop to match it. Not saying it won't work with the current prop, but the bigger engine I am sure will run a bigger prop with more pitch......

And we are hitting almost 40MPH stock with some simple prop swaps, fuel chnages and other little mods, i don't think anyone wantd to buy a new engine till the old one croaks out.
ORIGINAL: Thundercat 31

well messed up my servor's and the on / off switch.
but it will be an easy fix.
has eny one tried a bigger motor on the cat yet
www.quicktechhobby.com got's an ops .45 with pipe for just 275$
imagine how fast this engine will make the tc go. my guess is in the 50mph maybe more
think about that.........
Old 06-07-2006, 07:21 AM
brownvhf

A couple of things I forgot to mention is there was about a teaspoon of water in the radio box probably form the on and off switch as the boat after hitting the log did a nice roll to the left while airborn and ended upside down. It took about 15 minutes to get the boat out of the water. I'm using weather striping about 1/4 inch wide for a gasket to seal the radio box and being upside down in the water I feel the striping was working quite well. The engine restarted right up after I got the water dumped out of the boat but the two servos needed to dry out.
As far as speed I think the real reason to make the changes that many of us are making is to see just how far we can upgrade the boat with what came with and is available for this boat. I like trying to make things as good as I can which also makes them more dependable for me to use and enjoy.
Like wave walkers 5 mph mod as he probably using a good brand of wax to try and achieve the faster speed when his boat is upside down going accross the water. Also a little unhappy with eagle tree as the system has been ordered for over a week and they ship priorty mail so it should have been here by now.
Have to be going nuts I think as just ordered another boat, the shockwave 36, so gong to try to run one boat with each hand I think. Ron I dug this pond I'm running the boat in back in 1972 so not even real sure where this log came from but will try the new boat size as its better than waiting for a new one. Dodamissc I wonder if 40 is attainable with what were running, not sure but I think my boat is fast enough now so probably wont be changing to much more and besides you have to be able to drive this rocket after the mods are made, my reflexes not quite as fast as they used to be. Jerry
Old 06-07-2006, 08:46 AM
tbaysal2000

brownvhf, you will actually make the ultimate test I'd like to see. Infortunately I will be ordering my new boat before I can see your post on comparing TC31 and Shockwave but why are you really buying Shockwave?

I believe your pond has no rough conditions so TC31 should be faster being a cat in the still waters.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 AM
brownvhf

tbaysal2000 good morning. Why am I buying the Shockwave, well because this is going to involve a trade where I'm trading a rtr new Helicopter for this boat, a new fm radio and some other goodies. I can get more out of my trade going this way as the shockwave sells for more money than say the miss vegas which I will have this summer also. You're right about the pond as it stays calm all the time but I also go camping during the summer months with the grandkids and daughter and son-in-law and take my 14ft aluminum boat so will also be taking the rc boats with me.
Right now tc31 will be faster than the new shockwave which I will get tommorrow but by doing a prop change on the shockwave who knows but I don't think the shockwave will come close to the tc31 in the handling department as the tc31 is just rock hard stable in the pond either right or left turns, it doesn't matter. Jerry
Old 06-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Thundercat 31

eny word on that new cat pro boat was going to make eny one.?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
toyotatruckin

I took The TC3 out today for its first run, have the carb set good for breakin and runs strong But I blew out 2 glow plugs on a half quart of fuel motor wasnt hot or anything...any ideas.....
Old 06-07-2006, 05:09 PM
JPriami

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

I took The TC3 out today for its first run, have the carb set good for breakin and runs strong But I blew out 2 glow plugs on a half quart of fuel motor wasnt hot or anything...any ideas.....
You have to be the most unluckiest person there is... except for me lol
Old 06-07-2006, 05:18 PM
toyotatruckin

LOL. Hay I did get it wet, it didnt sink and nothing fell off.. With the luck Ive had with this boat so far, 2 glow plugs is great..? I hope..
Give me the number of a good cheap glow plug to use for break-in...
Old 06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
JPriami

You can use a plastic spoon to make a cowl. I figured I had my boat done when the hood latch broke off. This boat should have been marked Almost ready to run, Due to all the poor quality of the manufacturing...Im waiting to start it for the first time so I can see the stringers all break loose, stuffing tube come out breaking the hull, and the head pop off the motor....But on a brighter side once everything gets fixed it SHOULD be a good boat...
List of the parts broken..

Stringers on one side broke loose
loose fit on the gromet for the drain AND no plug
Flex shaft had to be taken back due to being fraid at the motor end
hood latch broke
radio box was broken loose
loose nuts and bolts
had to align the motor with the stuffing tube
Oh almost forgot needle settings were off

For a brand new from the box boat You shouldnt have to fix anything...
horizon said did you buy it from us? You might take it to where you bought it. LHS said "sorry to hear that" LHS did replace the flex shaft...
I was thinking of this post when I thought of luck toyotatruckin
And the glow plugs today
Old 06-07-2006, 05:53 PM
wave waker

LOL. Hay I did get it wet, it didnt sink and nothing fell off.. With the luck Ive had with this boat so far, 2 glow plugs is great..? I hope..
ur not alone man! i ran my TS2 yesterday and i blew 2 mccoy 9 plugs too,,my ten bucks went away pretty easy[:@],,but it's all right i clock it 43mph not too far for my goal 50 mph+ and it's still kickin' more only that the porpoise is getting worse so i have to slow down before it will blow over....

it is expected to blow plug during break-in,,it's part of the game, don't feel too bad about it, most of the guys i know in the club when they buy plug it's by the pad....try A3 os plug, little cheaper but same with A8 os plug.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 PM
toyotatruckin

Ill try the os plugs, got ya nitross.this think will fly one way or another..LOL Oh and having the 2 autobailers on the boat works great no extra water in the hull even running without the cowl!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Thundercat 31

eny word on that new cat pro boat was going to make eny one.?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
impulse

How did you guys run a hump pack? Use a different switch and rig the switch?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:45 PM
JPriami

ORIGINAL: wave waker

i clock it 43mph not too far for my goal 50 mph+ and it's still kickin' more only that the porpoise is getting worse so i have to slow down before it will blow over....

43mph? what made you jump from 36-43 mph all the sudden?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 PM
dougaldy

I wish I only blew a couple of plugs, I ran my TS2 today and ended up frying my 3305 servo. I took on a little water and voila, that thing was toast. As if that werent bad enough, I was coming in and somehow hit a rock and put a ding in the front sponson, so Ill have to epoxy that up.

WaveWaker, are you running a tune pipe and did you remove your head shim? That 40 MPH sounds impressive.

Scott
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
JPriami

HobieHernandez,

Where did you get the decals?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: dougaldy

I wish I only blew a couple of plugs, I ran my TS2 today and ended up frying my 3305 servo. I took on a little water and voila, that thing was toast. As if that werent bad enough, I was coming in and somehow hit a rock and put a ding in the front sponson, so Ill have to epoxy that up.

WaveWaker, are you running a tune pipe and did you remove your head shim? That 40 MPH sounds impressive.

Scott
yup! shim is removed, 60% nitro, salisbury tuned pipe, x440 will give me 39-41mph, x442 goes 43 mph, but porpoise stops me from pushing it...

oops!servo is kinda expensive though..yup sometimes [email protected]#$ happens....

sorry guys kinda off topic

but here's what i'm doin to my tc31,,,cut the canopy for easy access,,,not done yet..i'm adding scoop and vent...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11741.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	474046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21025.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	474047  
Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 AM
Tomas_LT

Hello Mates,
It's been kind of time that I was away. Well - work, studies, kids, wife (ups )
Ok, Just wanted to shake a hand to Wave Walker cause I also BROKE MY RUDDER. Have no idea how cause I always run in the same pond and it was ok. Last weekend during morning drive I lost conntrol of the boat and saw how it turned upsaid down. Surprisely engine was working [:-] So, what I saw when I got it back that rudder is broken and i lost it. Well, as you say - **** happens.
Anyway as here in Lithuania we do not have any dealers who can sell me this part the friends of mine who are doing boats can do it for me if I can provide them exact measurments of rudder. So this is what I would like to ask you:
1. Could you please take a pictures of separete (or not) T'31 rudder by putting it on the top of meter so I can see form and measurments. Can you do pictures from different angles?
2. Could you please measure it separatley and send me it?
3. Or maybe you can direct me to some dealers web shop who has this item and can ship oversies?
Also, taking this oportunity I would like to ask you maybe you can send me a links to dealers shops who can ship to Lithuania props? I think I will go for octura x440/3 and prather 225. I use here 20% nitro so wich one you would recomend?

Regards from Lithuania
Old 06-08-2006, 06:15 AM
tbaysal2000

Hello Thomas

Where do you take your TC31, sea or lake? I wonder how it runs against the waves?

Old 06-08-2006, 06:35 AM
FE_Chris

The only prop you need is the octura M445. So far, i've got the fastest radar pass of 37MPH that I know of with that prop and the TC31. Plus NO cavitation hardly at all. Nice prop........... Sorry, I have no idea where you could get one locally.

ORIGINAL: Tomas_LT

Hello Mates,
It's been kind of time that I was away. Well - work, studies, kids, wife (ups )
Ok, Just wanted to shake a hand to Wave Walker cause I also BROKE MY RUDDER. Have no idea how cause I always run in the same pond and it was ok. Last weekend during morning drive I lost conntrol of the boat and saw how it turned upsaid down. Surprisely engine was working [:-] So, what I saw when I got it back that rudder is broken and i lost it. Well, as you say - **** happens.
Anyway as here in Lithuania we do not have any dealers who can sell me this part the friends of mine who are doing boats can do it for me if I can provide them exact measurments of rudder. So this is what I would like to ask you:
1. Could you please take a pictures of separete (or not) T'31 rudder by putting it on the top of meter so I can see form and measurments. Can you do pictures from different angles?
2. Could you please measure it separatley and send me it?
3. Or maybe you can direct me to some dealers web shop who has this item and can ship oversies?
Also, taking this oportunity I would like to ask you maybe you can send me a links to dealers shops who can ship to Lithuania props? I think I will go for octura x440/3 and prather 225. I use here 20% nitro so wich one you would recomend?

Regards from Lithuania

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.