Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Caliban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

ORIGINAL: rageman

ORIGINAL: SinCityInc.

Carbon fiber was used in the center under the motor to strengthen the weak tunnel hull bottom...prone to twisting and cracking from beatin it on the water, not to mention the occasional flips & barrel rolls it like to pull.
Where did you get the carbon fiber mat and approopiate resin? How difficult was it to install?
Hello, rageman:

This is not my discussion, and pardon the intrusion, but I know that TAP Plastics has it:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/cate...14038327705232

I was just in their San Francisco location. I had them fabricate the replacement / modified pieces for my radio box and noticed that they have all the carbon fiber "stuff." (I'm still working on the radio box.) If you have never been into a TAP Plastics retail location, bring money, because they have lots of cool stuff, and you're gonna wanna buy it.

Caliban
Old 04-12-2009, 08:58 AM
SinCityInc.

This IS your discussion, all things TC31 pertain to us. BB Mods, the member I hooked up with in town has alot of left over pieces of carbon fiber from previous projects so I just snagged a piece from him and cut it to fit with my Dremel. Lots of different epoxies available on the market but we used a 30 min epoxy purchased from LHS. No difficulties installing.....easy
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
rageman

Cool. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Caliban

Hello, Everyone:

Well, my radio box project got a bit side-tracked today by automobile problems. So, I have more time to work on it, and am guaranteed to miss a day at the lake tomorrow. Damn!

While I have all this apart, I am thinking that I should seize the opportunity, and replace the rudder servo with a better one. I suppose a "high torque" servo is the way to go with the rudder. Yes?

I've done SOME research. However, new to all this, I really don't know what the Hell I am doing. I have the Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz radio and the R603FF receiver, which comes with the 3PM.

Searching through Tower Hobbies, they show the Hobbico CS-70MG servo as an alternative to a Futaba S3305. I'd use the Futaba S3305, but the Tower technical notes state that this servo is to be used with NiCd batteries only! I just installed a $30 6V NiMH battery pack, and I don't want to toss it.

So, MY QUESTION IS: Are any of you using the Hobbico CS-70MG servo on the rudder?
( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=9&I=LXANT4 ) Is this a good choice? Or, does it not really matter all that much?

ANOTHER QUESTION: Should I replace the throttle servo too, while I am at it? If so, suggestions?

Please advise,

Caliban
Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 AM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

pretty much any servo will work for throttle but my favorite steering servo is the hitec hs645 mg it has plenty of torque,metal gears and is priced right. i believe quite a few people use it,even in gas boats.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 PM
mmarionz

Hi guys

Greetings from New Zealand.
I have just recently purchased a TC31 and am having some issues.
The boat starts no problem at all and runs sweetly up to about 3/4 throttle.
However when you go to full throttle the motor dies instantly.
Will this be the LSN setting?

Cheers
Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: mmarionz

Hi guys

Cheers
possible lean, just play around the setting

Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Caliban

ORIGINAL: mmarionz

Hi guys

Cheers
Hello, mmarionz:

I am new to RC boating; RC "anything" for that matter. I've just recently broken-in my TC31. I was having the very same problem, and a very experienced guy at the lake helped me tune-it-up. It was running way, way too lean, and would kill when I gave it full throttle. I THINK I am now set at least 2 3/4 to 3 turns out on the High Speed Needle (total), and I am about 1/8 turn "in" (leaner) from the factory setting on the Low-Speed Needle Valve.

The instructions say to get the High-Speed Needle set first, before you adjust the Low-Speed Needle, but the engine came alive when I BOTH opened-up the High-Speed and closed-down the Low-Speed Needle at the same time.

I have to open the carb a bit for starting, but, once started, and I trim-down the throttle with the radio, it idles perfectly.

Caliban
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
mmarionz

ok thanks guys I figured as much
I had limited time last time out and eneded up fiddling with the needles a little to much I think.
I will rest them and try again this weekend
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Caliban

ORIGINAL: black talon

pretty much any servo will work for throttle but my favorite steering servo is the hitec hs645 mg it has plenty of torque,metal gears and is priced right. i believe quite a few people use it,even in gas boats.
Hello, black talon:

Well, black talon, it appears this is a very good recommendation, because I've done a bit more research, and it seems to be a very popular servo. I damn near had one today. We waited around a not-so-local hobby shop, waiting for UPS to show up. The shop ower was expecting delivery of a couple. So, now I've got to schlep down there tomorrow and get it, assuming it was delivered at the end of the day today.

I am determined to get all this installed by tomorrow evening, so that I can make it to the lake on Thursday.

So, I have a question: Did either (a) the OEM servo horn / servo arm, or, (b) one of the servo horns / servo arms packaged with the Hitec HS645MG fit the TC31? If so, which was it?

By the way, it APPEARS the Hobbico CS-70MG servo is exactly the same. The specifications (torque, etc.) and dimensions are EXACTLY the same. So, I suspect they simply have a different lable on 'em.

Caliban
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM
black talon

i think you will be pleased with the hitec. i'm not positive but i think the servos in the TC31 are JR, and i believe the arms are interchangeable, but if not the hitec has a servo horn that will work. i hope you get some trouble free run time because this boat is a blast.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Caliban

i think you will be pleased with the hitec. i'm not positive but i think the servos in the TC31 are JR, and i believe the arms are interchangeable, but if not the hitec has a servo horn that will work. i hope you get some trouble free run time because this boat is a blast.
Hello, black talon:

Well, no run time. Still trying to figure-out the servo stuff. (See my next post herein.)

Caliban
Old 04-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Caliban

Hello, Everyone:

As I have confessed a couple of times herein, I have a unique way of complicating even the most simple task.

So, I did not get my steering servo yet, due to a bit of a mix-up at the local hobby shop (long story), and I am STILL obsessing over the servo question.

When looking at servos, Tower has a "button" to click, "Possible Substitutions." Within the gaggle of servos revealed, the Hitec HS-645MG comes up, the Hobbico CS-70MG comes up, the Futaba S3305 comes up, and the iNtegy LG 41x20x42mm servo comes up (that is the way it is described).

So, my question now relates to that iNtegy servo. It appears to be a kick-ass servo, with metal gears, 144 oz-in of torque, and a .13 seconds transit time! (Usually the transit times are quoted as the time to travel through 60 degrees, but the iNtegy doesn't really say that.) By comparison, the ProBoat OEM servo has a .18 sec transit time, the Hitec HS-645MG has a .20 sec transit time, the Hobbico CS-70MG has a .20 sec transit time and the Futaba S3305 has a .20 transit time (all these specs at 6V).

So, is a .13 transit time just too damn fast for a rudder application? Or, in the RC boating world, is there simply no such thing as "too fast?"

Caliban
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
black talon

sorry to hear of your holdups. how much faster is .07 sec? cant say that i've been affected by that amount of time. i've never used integy so i can't comment. so i'll have to stick with what i know, Hitec.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Caliban

sorry to hear of your holdups. how much faster is .07 sec? cant say that i've been affected by that amount of time. i've never used integy so i can't comment. so i'll have to stick with what i know, Hitec.
Hello, black talon:

Well, you are probably right. As a newbie to all this, that simply struck me as a significant difference in that particular transit time specification. I'm gonna try to get my hands on a servo this weekend, and get this darned boat back into the water, where it belongs.

I've managed to miss two UPS deliveries in the past couple of days. One of 'em, from Tower, has a battery status monitor in it. So, I want to get that into the radio / receiver box and an up-graded servo as well.

The servo that the local hobby shop DOES have is the digital Hitec HS-5625MG:
( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXUZ76 ), which also looks like a kick-ass servo, with 130.5 oz-in of torque, and a .14 sec transit time. If all else fails, I'll drive down and get that one. Yourself included, people seem to like the Hitec brand.

Caliban
Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 AM
mmarionz

Wohooo!! reset the needles the needles to factory and bang away we go.
Was blasting around for 5 minutes or so then suddenly lost all, power and boat turning in circles [&:]
managed to get her in and this is what I found

On hand I had a Graupner 48 cf and the fun continued
man what a blast,this thing flies..makes my lagoon seem tiny [X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69597.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1181791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81812.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1181792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47552.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1181793  
Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 AM
CEO

Hello fellow boaters. I dont have a TC31 yet but I do enjoy reading this thread. I am looking at a new motor for my wildthing .21 that I built a few years back and I think that the O.S. 21VZ-M Turbo would make this boat very fast just look at the engine specs.

SPECIFICATIONS
Displacement: 0.2 cu in (3.46 cc)
Bore: 0.65 in (16.6 mm)
Stroke: 0.63 in (16.0 mm)
Practical rpm: 3,000-40,000
Output: 2.5 hp @ 33,000 rpm
Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
Includes: P7 turbo plug

10 Grams lighter than the stock motor.
the stock motor is rated at 28k rpms and the os is rated at 2.5hp at 33k
I know I could get this up to 40k rpm thats 12k more rpms and nice horsepower gains.
$349.98 at tower. I'm sure you could find something cheaper but not as good as the os.
If you do I would look at buggy engines its hard to find a good selection of marine motors the main difference is the cooling head. if you have an open hull that would work just fine.

Its almost full blow summer for me here and I am thinking about getting a TC31. Perhaps an RB innovations charger and throttle position nos injection just a thought.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:07 AM
black talon

welcome ceo, the 21vz-m is a very popular engine people have been using to upgrade their rtr's.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Caliban

ORIGINAL: CEO

Hello fellow boaters. I dont have a TC31 yet but I do enjoy reading this thread. I am looking at a new motor for my wildthing .21 that I built a few years back and I think that the O.S. 21VZ-M Turbo would make this boat very fast just look at the engine specs.

SPECIFICATIONS
Displacement: 0.2 cu in (3.46 cc)
Bore: 0.65 in (16.6 mm)
Stroke: 0.63 in (16.0 mm)
Practical rpm: 3,000-40,000
Output: 2.5 hp @ 33,000 rpm
Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
Includes: P7 turbo plug

10 Grams lighter than the stock motor.
the stock motor is rated at 28k rpms and the os is rated at 2.5hp at 33k
I know I could get this up to 40k rpm thats 12k more rpms and nice horsepower gains.
$349.98 at tower. I'm sure you could find something cheaper but not as good as the os.
If you do I would look at buggy engines its hard to find a good selection of marine motors the main difference is the cooling head. if you have an open hull that would work just fine.

Its almost full blow summer for me here and I am thinking about getting a TC31. Perhaps an RB innovations charger and throttle position nos injection just a thought.
Hello, CEO:

Just so you will know, I called RB Innovations, and they do not have a supercharger for the Dynamite .32 engine. The guy I spoke with recommended their direct-injection nitrous system for the .32: http://www.rbinnovations.com/product_p/ns5000-x.htm

Caliban
Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
CEO

They can make a Custom charger but you have to ask about it. Its not realy a true super charger but instead of your engine pulling air and fuel into itself it is forced in. The fuel tank pressure is boosted aswell. The result is almost instant engine response and way higher rpms aswell as more stable engine preformace. As far as the nos goes I woner if the boat would take flight due to the burst of rpm and power it would surely be an interesting project. If your going to have NOS I cant imagine there would be a need to upgrade your motor after looking around for the specs on the .32 I found out it has 3.18hp at 28k rpm thats quite a difference compaired to the os .21 its has less rpms but with that extra HP you would be able to run a bigger prop. I have never done any testing to see if RPM VS hp is better than one another but I'm sure when it comes to your boats top speed it has everything to do with rpms/prop and acceleration is related to your engines hp and prop. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Caliban

They can make a Custom charger but you have to ask about it. Its not realy a true super charger but instead of your engine pulling air and fuel into itself it is forced in. The fuel tank pressure is boosted aswell. The result is almost instant engine response and way higher rpms aswell as more stable engine preformace. As far as the nos goes I woner if the boat would take flight due to the burst of rpm and power it would surely be an interesting project. If your going to have NOS I cant imagine there would be a need to upgrade your motor after looking around for the specs on the .32 I found out it has 3.18hp at 28k rpm thats quite a difference compaired to the os .21 its has less rpms but with that extra HP you would be able to run a bigger prop. I have never done any testing to see if RPM VS hp is better than one another but I'm sure when it comes to your boats top speed it has everything to do with rpms/prop and acceleration is related to your engines hp and prop. Correct me if I am wrong.
Hello, CEO:

I'm new to all this, but it has always been my understanding that the Dynamite .32 is rated at 1.1 HP, give or take. Yes, I know, both the Dynamite and the Horizon web sites put the HP at 3.18. I just sent Horizon Tech Support an e-mail, asking them to verify the HP of the Dynamite .32. I'll let you know what they say in their response.

Caliban
Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 PM
CEO

A misrepresentation need not be intentionally false to create liability. A statement made with conscious ignorance or a reckless disregard for the truth can create liability. Nondisclosure of material or important facts by a fiduciary or an expert, such as an engineer, sales representative, can result in liability. If the speaker is engaged in the business of selling products, any statement, no matter how innocent, may create liability if the statement concerns the character, performance or quality of a product and the statement is not true. In such a case, the statement must be one of fact. This does not include so-called puffing, or the glowing opinions of a seller in the course of a sales pitch (such statements as) "You will love it or its great"

technical definition: False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements or specifications to persuade people into transactions that they might otherwise avoid.

If infact it is 1.1hp and the "www.dynamiterc.com" site says 3.18hp then that is false advertising and they are misrepresenting their product with false specifications. A big NO NO for the sales industry. I'm inclined to take legal class action against the company.

I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Caliban

A misrepresentation need not be intentionally false to create liability. A statement made with conscious ignorance or a reckless disregard for the truth can create liability. Nondisclosure of material or important facts by a fiduciary or an expert, such as an engineer, sales representative, can result in liability. If the speaker is engaged in the business of selling products, any statement, no matter how innocent, may create liability if the statement concerns the character, performance or quality of a product and the statement is not true. In such a case, the statement must be one of fact. This does not include so-called puffing, or the glowing opinions of a seller in the course of a sales pitch (such statements as) "You will love it or its great"

technical definition: False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements or specifications to persuade people into transactions that they might otherwise avoid.

If infact it is 1.1hp and the "www.dynamiterc.com" site says 3.18hp then that is false advertising and they are misrepresenting their product with false specifications. A big NO NO for the sales industry. I'm inclined to take legal class action against the company.

I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!
Hello, CEO:

Or, I could be wrong.

EDIT: CEO ... scroll down to "Specifications" on this eBay listing, and you will see what I am "talking about":
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3D19%26ps%3D50

Also, here is a cut-n-paste from a description of the ProBoat Shockwave, which has the same engine:
DYNAMITE .32 Marine Inboard
Type: 2-stroke Marine ABC
Displacement: 32 cu in
Bore: 19mm
Stroke: 18.4mm
Total Weight: 350g
RPM Range: 28,000
HP: 1.18 at 28,000 RPM Cylinder Type: ABC
Carb Type: Rotary
Cooling: Water Cooled Head
Starter: Pull

And, last but not least, scroll down and look for the post by "gooycheese" in this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7347920/printable.htm

Caliban
Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
CEO

It appears there is enough evidence to prove that DYNAMITERC.COM is infact misleading its customers. Its a shame because I will never buy anything from a company that does this, nor will I recomend any product made by Dynamite. End of story. If I do get a TC31 the motor will be tornout the moment the boat is unpackaged.

next subject is rudder mods I'll get into that much later tonight.I was watching some vids of the TC31 and how well it turns I think it can be improved so I'll roll on down to HTUSA and get my buddys boat on the water and we will see if speedmaster is the way to go. We will be testing distance from the transom to the leading edge, taper and depth. Aswell as various high torqe servos with different response times.

my WT21 can beat the TC31 anyday but not for long.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Caliban

It appears there is enough evidence to prove that DYNAMITERC.COM is infact misleading its customers. Its a shame because I will never buy anything from a company that does this, nor will I recomend any product made by Dynamite. End of story. If I do get a TC31 the motor will be tornout the moment the boat is unpackaged.

next subject is rudder mods I'll get into that much later tonight.I was watching some vids of the TC31 and how well it turns I think it can be improved so I'll roll on down to HTUSA and get my buddys boat on the water and we will see if speedmaster is the way to go. We will be testing distance from the transom to the leading edge, taper and depth. Aswell as various high torqe servos with different response times.

my WT21 can beat the TC31 anyday but not for long.
Hello, CEO:

Frankly, I think it is simply a "typo," which never went away. Hey, call up ProBoat or Horizon and ask 'em about it. I still have no answer from Horizon, by the way.

As to the rudder, the only "option" that Horizon / ProBoat shows is the rudder from the Shockwave. I'm kinda thinking I'd like to replace the rudder with one that has the cylinder head cooling water intake built into the rudder itself (as opposed to the slant-cut tube on the TC31, which simply must cause some drag).

Caliban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.