Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New boat suggestions...?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New boat suggestions...?

Old 03-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New boat suggestions...?

Ok I have narrowed down choices but dont know that much about the areomarine hulls, Im either thinking a [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm]Titan 29[/link]or the[link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm]Rio Roses[/link] hull, offshoreelectrics.com has bare bones hulls cheap and Im a good fabricator, Im gonna run the speedmater hardware they sell, surface drive with an offset rudder, and an .18 or .21 motor, which is my other question which motor, for which boat, I would rather use the rio roses hull, I like the look of it, and i wont be racing so im looking for around 40-50mph, thought maybe go all out and buy the new [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKKP0&P=7]OS .21[/link]
Old 03-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New boat suggestions...?

If you're looking for 40 -50 mph, I'd suggest you look elsewhwhere for hull and engine. If you can't or don't want to build, then look at a Seaducer or similar hull. I believe there is a glass copy of the Wild Thing available also. For an engine, you have 3 options in my book. A Nova Rossi, CMB or MAC. Not necessarily in that order. If you are on a budget, then 40 - 50 MPH is out of the question.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Vertical3-D

well what speed is realistic and what engines here, Im looking for a boat I like thats got decent looks also, like I said im not racing it, but my modded nitro vee bores me alot, so I want something that will go around twice that fast, which its good for around 25, maybe 30 on a good day(with hot fuel, and maybe a tailwind, it has a pipe and has some motor work done, but still way heavy and way slow)good sport boat, but justy boring to me...
Old 03-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hopefully you're talking about the Titan 21. They also have the Titan, which has a lighter 'glas lay-up but the same hull. I had one of the first Titan 21's, before Aeromarine had the proper parts for it.
The Rio Roses, if it's the one that I've seen, is a really small boat and an exact scale model which translates into a not very good handling boat as it was first made for promotional use for the company that made the full-sized version.
I used Speedmaster hardware on my Titan 21 as I didn't like what Aeromarine had. I bought it as a package deal yet once I had the hardware, it went off to the side. I sold the hull right after I bought my Speedmaster 21, possibly another hull that you might want to take a serious look at. It's a love it or hate it hull with its looks but it's one sweet handling boat.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Vertical3-D

oh and which engine will give me the best speed, im on a budget, but know what quality costs and would rather do it right over time then wrong right now...
Old 03-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Ron Olson

The best speed and on a budget are 2 different catagories. You can but a low-dollar OS or other engine to get you started and when finances get better, you can upgrade later on as later this year there will be hotter new engine coming out then there should be some good ones going up for sale.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Vertical3-D

Alright, Ill take a look at that and ditch the rio roses idea, they have the titan listed as a tita 29, perhaps since they are selling it for electric purpose, Ill look around, since performance is a big thing to, and Ill check into motors and see what I can find, Id like to go .21 as they are way more commen and more "raceable" should I try my luck while Im living in orlando for school, though I wouldnt enter a race until I had alot of time behind the wheel, Id rather not risk others as well as my boat...but Ill check around, that hardware seems nice, and for 94 for the setup seems like a decent price...
Old 03-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Vertical3-D

OK, so im gonna get an Aeromarine titan .21 and the speedmaster surface drive and rudder, offshoreelectrics sells, the one with the .150 cable, Im assuming thats what i want, Or would the .130 cable be better, I dunno what the norm is, also now I need engine and pipe suggestions, Im guessing a macs pipe, so which engine...like I said Id rather do it right to start with, I have a retriever boat(ill have to get pics, a real beast, has outriggers that lower with string and wieghts on them to catch on the boat, havent needed it yet) but would like something reliable....So I need engine ideas and also I plan on using my JR XR2 radio in it, best pistol grip I got at the moment, never had trouble with it before, it was in my tunnel i had...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Ron Olson

you'll want the 3/16" flex cable as the other is on the small side but can be used.
Some other parts I prefer from other outfits. One example is the flex cable collet. I prefer the Octura over the Aeromarine as a lot of the Aeromarine's have a problem with wobbling, not good at high RPM.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Vertical3-D

OK, ill go with the larger cable then, and the surfacedrive, rudder combo, octura collet, macs pipe, in a titan, I guess it will need fins and tabs, and now Im down to an engine choice and the time to aquire all these goodies, this hobby truely is addicting,
Old 03-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Vertical3-D

how bout this mac, says new never run, so im assuming it is, doenst look dirty, a little leary about an ebay motor but may get a good deal on it, is it a good motor,and whats it worth, total,[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-Mac-21-nitro-Marine-engine-new-in-boxe_W0QQitemZ6047867685QQcategoryZ116075QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem]MAC .21[/link]
Old 03-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Ron Olson

Russian or Soviet made engines like that Mac or the Kailstratov's are made to run best on low nitro fuels with plenty of oil. It's most likely more of a sport engine than a racer.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Vertical3-D

darn, Ron im glad you know so much about this game, I am hear a newb, so Im gonna make athis direct, where can I get a deal on a ncie used or new race type motor, a mild race motor, Im not going for any titles hear, just like performance, or if you know anyone whod have one theyd sell and there e-mail, Im selling my real boat for when i got to school in orlando in a month so ill have a little cash so I could get a motor right away prolly if its privately sold, or ill get the hull and hardware if I cant find somewhere to pick up a decent used one, even if it needs a piston and sleeve anad they are easy to get, thats not a big deal to replace...I plan on running 30-40% fuels
Old 03-30-2006, 11:17 PM
ob nut

Watch the sale items here or on IW for motors that will be selling in short order. CMDi is coming out with a new line of motors - AA motors. Once this happens, those that run CMDi MAC motors will be dumping them quickly for the new motors from the Brown family. You might want to check with CMDi to see if they have any motors on "sale". They still have their .21 OB motor at $250, which is a steal.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Vertical3-D

the CMDi mac .21 is 340 dollars, theres what appears to be an older ops .21 on the market for 60 bucks, which makes me think "whats wrong with it" I was really hoping someone would have one, guess ill wait till the new ones come out so some come up for sale...
Old 03-31-2006, 01:34 AM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: Vertical3-D

the CMDi mac .21 is 340 dollars, theres what appears to be an older ops .21 on the market for 60 bucks, which makes me think "whats wrong with it"
Don't think OPS is made anymore. Could be wrong, but that is the impression I have. Where did you get the price for the CMDi MAC? If you called them and inquired, guess that model is not on sale.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Vertical3-D

areomarine sells OPS engines, there side exhuast model is not bad price wise like 200 with a mainfold, anyone know anything about these, what speeds will this get on 30-40% fuel in a titan .21 with speedmaster drive, if its a good engine and I should get it please also a prop suggestion for a good starting point, and Ill get that pre balanced and sharpened at offshoreelectrics.com
Old 03-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Ron Olson

An Octura X-440 is usually a good starting point for any .21 mono with surface drive then go from there.
On the Titan that I had, one problem was with chinewalk. I got it straightened out just before I sold it as the strut was about 1/8" too low even considering that it was a surface drive.