Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New to boats, I've got a hull now what???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New to boats, I've got a hull now what???

Old 03-30-2006, 06:35 PM
WingingIt74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boats, I've got a hull now what???

I'm new to rc boats. I have tinkered with cars, planes and now have a heli. I've had this hull for a year or two and now want to get it in the water. I know it's a Prather 31" Deep-Vee. It's painted with automotive paint back in the late 80s early 90s as it was my best friend's boat and his dad painted it. My question is what do I need to get it running. Are there any beginners books or web sites that can get me headed in the right direction, or do any of you want to give me some advice?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:09 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to boats, I've got a hull now what???

Most of my knowledge is with tunnels, but I will give it a try. First off, go to [link=http://www.pratherproducts.com/]Prather Products[/link] site to see if you can get the instruction booklet. I do believe that boat was built as a sub-surface drive. Most if not all racing deep v's are surface drives now-a-days. Are you planning on fun running or racing? If for fun, get a K&B 3.5 motor. For racing, CMB, Nova Rossi, Rossi and MAC are some fast motors. You'll need a 6 - 8 oz fuel tank, solid motor mount, stuffing tube, flex cable, strut, turn fin, rudder, 2 channel surface radio system, standard servo for throttle, 100 oz steering servo and a tuned pipe.. If you want a one stop shopping place, get ahold of Gary Preusse - G&M Models for your needs. Gary can be reached at 630-279-2451. He will KNOW what works for the boat / your needs. He will not sell you something you don't need. Be ready to have your ears talked off. Be ready to take notes..
Old 03-30-2006, 11:38 PM
WingingIt74

I've got 2 emails to Prather, now to wait and see. I noticed this doesn't have the mounts, foam and instructions. Going to see if I can get those from them. Not sure what you mean by a sub surface, I am assuming the flex shaft exits under the hull. I'm only going to be using it to run around my parent's pond. I've got a bid on this, I think this is some of what I need Ebay Auction
Old 03-31-2006, 01:30 AM
ob nut

That is what you need. Does the boat have engine mounting rails? If so, measure the distance between them. I'd think about 4" would be on the mark. If so, let me know, I might have one or two undrilled. You can have one.. Doubt I'll ever run an IB Deep V.. I do have a Dumas 40 DV that will have an outboard mounted on it..
Old 03-31-2006, 02:53 AM
WingingIt74

The only thing that is there is just the hull. It is suppose to come with, of which is not there:

Marine ply motor mount rails
Plywood bulkheads
Foam flotation
Complete instruction booklet with photos

I got that info from this link:
Tower Hobbies - Prather 31" Deep-Vee

Do I need a hatch cover?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:01 AM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: CLSSY56
Do I need a hatch cover?

Only if you want one. Tower has the OS 21 RG-M for $139. Not bad for a decent motor...
Old 03-31-2006, 06:05 PM
WingingIt74

That's not bad, good looking as well. What about a radio, is it the same for cars? What would be the dissadvantage of using a surface drive on this hull?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:15 PM
alex_hockey
My Feedback: (5)

Hey i can get you a brand new 3.5 engine i will just need to find the website ill post it up in a minute or two
Old 03-31-2006, 06:19 PM
alex_hockey

here it is it is a force 3.5 for 45 canadian water cooled not sure about the brand name but you cant beat 45 bux can which is about 38$ american still a good deal to me
Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 PM
ob nut

I was thinking that this boat does not have the motor rails mounted could mean that it was setup specificly for an outboard. Yea, go outboard
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 PM
WingingIt74

It was painted by my best friends dad. I believe it was going to be an inboard since they already had an outboard boat. But not sure. I think I'll probably do inboard.

Alex, your last post didn't show the link to the motor, can you try again?

I got anothe question, why not use a bigger motor then a 21?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: CLSSY56

I got anothe question, why not use a bigger motor then a 21?
Boats are built with specific motor sizes to be used. To go up a 45 would be too much for this hull to handle. More power, bigger the boat requirements.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
WingingIt74

I got ahold of Prather yesterday. They are going to send me the instructions and a parts list. All parts are still avaliable, which is a good thing.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:23 PM
alex_hockey

http://www3.telus.net/acboats/new.html try that
Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Id buy the OS for 139, or if your more for sport running pay the extra 20 bucks and get the pullstart version. I plan on using the belt start version in the aeromarine Titan Im gonna build in the near future, I plan on using a speedmaster surface drive(the stinger strut) and on of there rudders, and I know at least for the Titan it will need the drop down motor mounts, Ron Olson tells me they were specificlly made for the Titan hull, due to the engine sitting to high normally, so maybe they wont be needed hear, I will use a macs 3.5 pipe, and am starting out with the octura x-440/3 prop, he said also that it should be good for mid to high 40's....so Im guessing with the similar setup youd be looking at slightly slower speeds, probablly 35-40 ish depending on hull wieght design and setup, lots of variables to mess with, you should check out the speedmaster drive stinger strut drive though, its easily adjustable and a really nice looking piece of equipment...
Old 04-02-2006, 04:42 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say that boat was made for submerged drive ,if its submerged drive id just buy a size 35 - 40 sports motor the sc ones are good and cheap also they are an os cloned engine and they are as good if not better but a third of the price!!.a solid ballraced shaft a coupling to match both and a prop you can also buy rudders that go through the hull behind the prop its easy to do and the solid shafts are much cheaper.id say that boat was made for a submerged drive so thats what id advise using.most places that sell props give you a table to choose the correct prop size for engine size.where the shaft comes out underneath you just use some epoxy putty round it to hold it in place and seal everything up.get the angle so the prop misses the hull by about half an inch and put the rudder as close as possible making sure it doesnt hit the prop when it turns left and right.!!.then mark the holes in the motor mount rails and mount it.irvine do good couplings for motor to shaft.i used plastic props at 1st till i found one that worked good then get a brass one same size etc.plastic props are cheap and you can experiment to find a good match.good luck with it.as far as radios go a car one is what you use any will do the job all you need is two servos and a water tight box to put em in along with your reciever etc.if you go with a 40 engine you will need an electric starter and a v belt as these engines use a fly wheel to start em up.i wouldnt go with a 15 size engine or you wont be happy with it unless you get a racing type engine .id just stick with a sports engine for a bit of fun.should get you 35-40 mph with a size 40 at a guess.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah that stuff in that ebay link would get you going, I just choose surface drives over submerged, and if you'll look at any performance boat, they are all surface drives, and a nice offset rudder on the right hand side, Im more into performance, so Im still sticking with the .21 OS and the speedmaster drive and rudder,
Old 04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
WingingIt74

What surface drive would possibly work with this hull? I got the paperwork today from Prather, nice people to work with, got it to me quick.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
WingingIt74

I would assume this would work and it looks good. Ebay Auction
Old 04-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Vertical3-D

I guess it would do alright, not a very conventional setup, for the 90 dollars for five more you could get the speedmaster combo at offshoreelectrics, but if you go the speedmaster way in the comments box when you order at offshore specify that you need a .187 flex cable instead of the .150 they use for the high power electrics, as for the ebay item I have seen them on there before, and I must say god bless the peoples republic of china(no offense or anything) they give us all kinds of stuff lately in this hobby at a good deal, I have seen those setups go cheaper, When I build a titan it will have speedmaster on it, Im going name brand when it will be doing 45-50mph and twisting 25,000 rpms...but If its gonna be a sport boat and not a high output engine then Id say it would be plenty good for that, It also has a decent look to it, one thing to note, well two, they say petrol engine, thats a gasser, they have no water pickup, also 80mm prop, thats between 1.5-2.0 inches, my nitro vee runs a big prop for a .15 engine and its only 40mm, and is comparable to the octura 440 which is more what a .21 should have on it, Im gonna go with the octura x-440/3 three bladed prop, dunno what a good prop is for your boat but that seems like way to big, unless your stuffing in some big horsepower.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Vertical3-D

I looked through more of that guys sales, thaty is made for gas boats, way to big for your 31 inch deep vee(I think thats what you got there right?)
Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 PM
WingingIt74

oops double post after edit - see below.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
WingingIt74

Glad you pointed that out. Way too small for a small block chevy . Since my hull is already painted, I figure I either use a outboard or surface drive. Any thoughts? Any ideas what brand or have any web page links?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Vertical3-D

I would do surface drive, an outboard will leave you needing to balance alot of wieght on the back, I like speedmaster, www.offshoreelectrics.com has them and a few tohers just like I said if you go that route, let them know in that comment box that you need a .187 flex shaft, there stock ones have a .150, to small for the nitros, and that RG-M OS .21 would be a great motor at a decent price, an OS has yet to ever dissapoint me, just dont forget about break in if you get a new engine, Also probablly need a set of prather spin fins, offshore has them and they are real cheap for a set, you may wanna put a nice solid, but no to heavy wooden backing on the inside wall of the transome if the isnt one, cant bolt all that stuff to fiberglass alone or it will crack, really its upto you and how much your looking to spend...so let us know what stuff your interested in, and what a budget your on and we could go from there, also you can PM Ron Olsen as he know way more than I do about the stuff,
Old 04-04-2006, 03:49 PM
WingingIt74

Are you refering to this set up? Why is it so long?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.